Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Getting Diagnostic Surgery on the 29th!!  (Read 1784 times)

Offline sjugradgirl

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
    • My KneePhoto Diary
Getting Diagnostic Surgery on the 29th!!
« on: October 27, 2004, 05:51:58 AM »
Please let me tell you about myself. I am 25. I had knee surgery for a reoccuring patellar dislocation in 1995, then a patellar tendon rupture repair in 1999. After that I pretty much returned to full activities. I was going to the gym 5-6 days a week and started jogging. On Sept. 10th of this year I fell down the stairs at work. I felt my kneecap slip out and slip back (I have still had a trick knee despite the surgeries it will either jump out of place or feel like it did, or is about to), and my tendon was burning so I thought I might have torn it again. They took me to the ER via ambulance. They took an exray that showed my patellar is very high floating and they said I might have a patellar tendon tear again. I was ordered to see a OS in 3 days. I went there, they said I had a patellar tendon strain, and ordered me to get an MRI. I had the MRI done. When I went back to see the OS, he at first didnt' even look at my MRI results, he just wanted to send me to PT, despite the fact that I couldnt bend my leg, had severe pain, and swelling. He looked at the report after I asked him what the results were and he said that my patellar tendon was split down the center, but didn't require surgery. I wasn't really satisfied with the answer so I went for a second opinion. I am now seeing a Sports Medicine Surgeon who is the Orthopedic Advisor for the Womens and Mens US Gymnastics team. I saw him and he decided to take a conservative approach and sent me to PT. I can still barely bend my leg. I now got it up to 30 degrees but with pain. And he concluded that my patella is very unstable. He says the MRI doesn't really show anything to be too concerned about. He doesn't understand why I am still having so much pain and inability to bend my leg. So he decided to have me go for a diagnostic arthroscopy and chrondroplasty. I am having it done this friday. he says after they look inside they will have a better idea on what is next. But he says it might be that he will have to do a knee reallignment.
i was just wondering if you could please tell me what your symptoms were that ended up with knee realligmnent. I am jsut trying to get an idea of what to expect. Right now I feel pretty good. I am in a knee immobilizer and am walking without crutches, but if i walk, stand, or sit for a long time it starts to get very uncomfortable and starts to hurt. My knee cap is very wobbly and if i try to bend it past 30 degrees i feel like it is going to jump out of the groove to the outside of my leg. Also, when I bend my leg, i feel someing pulling on the outside of my kneecap, (i think that is my tendon straining to keep my knee cap in place)
Sorry so long but if you could please respond, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
J
95-Reallignment,
99-patellar tendon repair  LR,04-arthroscopy,chondroplasty,meniscal repair
preparing for arthroscopy, TTT, scar clean up, soft tissue repair Jan 24

Offline Leta_MT

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Getting Diagnostic Surgery on the 29th!!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 01:57:05 AM »
The fact that you have, as you call it, a "trick" knee may be from malalignment. It's hard to day what the OS is talking about with a "realignment". Could be a lateral release or could be a TTT (tibial tubercle transfer). Recurring dislocation or subluxation (when it jumps the track either briefly or feels like it wants to) usually indicates that the patella isn't properly aligned.

Check out the upper portion of the board: General questions, Post-op Diary, Patello-femoral Joint. There may be some info there.

Good luck and hang in there!

Leta
OA in both knees; patellar dislocation left knee 2/03; LR on left 7/03; PFR w/TTT, left 6/18/04