Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: FOREARM CRUTCHES  (Read 6152 times)

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
FOREARM CRUTCHES
« on: October 26, 2004, 10:21:48 PM »
Hi all,

Just curious about these crutches. Do OS's or PT's have a preference on what kind is used? I've never used these in all my surgeries, but it would seem to me to be much better (underarm soreness, etc). They have them on ebay for $50 all colors. I'm thinking I'm going to need some help in the near future and thought I might try these. Opinions?

Thanks,
Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: FOREARM CRUTCHES
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 11:25:20 PM »
I can't use them as I have carpal tunnel in my left wrist and a blown rotator cuff on my right shoulder.  These crutches proved too painful and unstable for me, but others swear by them.  At the Steadman Hawkins clinic all the athletes were using the forearm crutches, for whatever that's worth.

I think it has to do with what's comfortable for you.  Though I have to say, if you have underarm soreness from regular crutches you are likely using them incorrectly.  Your armpits are NOT supposed to rest on the crutches.  Do you have a PT who can show you the proper way to use the standard crutches?  

Also, the elbow ones are quite a bit more expensive, and most insurance companies won't cover this.  You might try ebay.

Heather

Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 11:44:14 PM »
Hi there

In the UK Hospitals only seem to prescribe forearm crutches.
Having used underarm years ago when I broke my ankle and more recently having used forearm ones for three months pre and post knee op I can say that forearm are definately easier!
They definately pumped my forearm and shoulder muscles up with extended use and I only got mild hand blisters from them in the process!
No under arm sores or fore arm sores....

Hope this helps a bit

All the best
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

kneesknees

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 11:59:23 PM »
Just an idea about the blisters on your hands with forearm crutches...the best thing I've found for wrapping round the hand grips is a self-sticking bandage which you can buy from Superdrug & Tesco's - it isn't actually sticky so it won't ruin the crutches but it does stick to itself...it really pads out the handles and totally stops any blisters.

I know other people will have ideas about how to stop them as well but I just thought I'd share mine, lol

Hope that helps  ;D

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 12:17:01 AM »
Actually when I used regular crutches my hands were the only things that got sore. That went away with time. I do have something wrong with my left shoulder though. For about the last year it kills me, but only in certain positions, not resting. I can reach above, but not across. I haven't told the doc about it cause we're all concentrating on my knees. Frankly I'm embarressed to mention another "wound". But if I'm having shoulder trouble I guess I should stick with the regular crutches. All but 2 of my surgeries were WB with cylinder casts. The 2 that weren't were a nightmare!!!! I HATE being NWB. It's so much more difficult.

Thanks,
Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline pomo2000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 12:56:05 PM »
I'm on forearm crutches. I haven't really used the other kind. They are fairly comfortable, but require arm strength for stability. People can cheat with the armpit type by hanging on their shoulders (not good, but still happens) or at least clamping down for stability but with the forearm type, there's no way to cheat. It's all hands, wrist, and forearm holding you up.

If you get them, make sure you know how to use them. For instance, when standing up, you face the handles inward and pull up, then you rotate them around so the cuff part goes under your forearm.

Offline faith

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 01:18:42 PM »
I've only ever been given elbow crutches on the NHS.  I can definitely recommend them as they are smaller and less cumbersome than the underarm type.  I was NWB for 6 weeks after my osteotomy and found them very stable and comfortable.

I put pipe lagging on the handles and tape it in place.  It's such a dense foam that it prevents my hands getting sore but doesn't flatten out over time.

Hope that's helped.

Faith x
R knee arthroscopy 1991; tibial osteotomy 1992; metalwork removed 1993; arthroscopy and lateral release 2004; ossicle removal 2007; arthroscopic debridement 2010; PFJR 2012; scar tissue removal & debridement 2013

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Love me love my knees!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 06:41:50 PM »
Row for four years and then you won't require anything....! The only problems I had were with back and arm pain.
Oh and I really wanted a pink pair........damn the grey of the NHS!

M
xxxxx
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Shallow trochlear groove, Patella Alta & tight ITB dx '03
Right Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope 2004
Left Modified Galeazzi, LR  2005
Redo Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope and medial reefing 2007
Right redislocation 2014

Offline faith

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 08:11:25 PM »
Are you a rower?  Me too  ;D

Or rather, I used to be until my knee had better ideas...

Faith x
R knee arthroscopy 1991; tibial osteotomy 1992; metalwork removed 1993; arthroscopy and lateral release 2004; ossicle removal 2007; arthroscopic debridement 2010; PFJR 2012; scar tissue removal & debridement 2013

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 06:09:49 AM »
Bridget,
If you wanted pink ones, wrap them with pink ribbon, taped at either end. The grips are still grey, but the rest is then a fashion statement!
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline Sharon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 07:38:18 AM »
In all of my surgeries I've always used the regular underarm crutches and don't really have any problems with them. Actually I've been using the same pair of crutches since my first surgery in 1999-they've grown to be my friends, I call them lefty and righty! Anyway, my PT told me that if you use them correctly you shouldn't really have any pain under your arms. The only problem I had was that if I walked around for awhile with them my hands would start to hurt. If I decide to have the patellar tendon replacement surgery I'm going to stick with these crutches-only I may have to get some new hand grips and pads for under my arms, they're getting a little worn. My advice is to go with what you're most comfortable using, that's the most important thing.

Sharon
Left knee:
LR-5/99 & 9/01
Distal realignment and LR 7/02
TTT revision 6/03
screw removal/MUA 10/03
d/x with severe patella baja
7/05 patellar tendon replacement w/piece of quad tendon
4/07 OATS