Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Muscle spasms?  (Read 976 times)

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
    • My photo album
Muscle spasms?
« on: October 24, 2004, 06:42:58 PM »
Hi guys, something odd happened to me yesterday and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I took DD shopping for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs yesterday (no stairs) When we got  home I had this severe pain directly on top of my microfracture sight. It was not bone pain. I can only explain it as possibly muscle spasms. It was so strong that I had to take all of my weight off that leg and just hold on to the counter waiting for it to pass. This took a couple of minutes. The "spasms" returned off and on the whole evening. I did not overdo it. There was no lifting and all of my walking was on even ground. OS said that microfracture looked great at last surgery and this pain was different from when microfracture failed (a few surgeries ago). Anyone have any thoughts on what it might be? I do not want this to happen again, it stunk LOL. The location of the pain would best be described as the VMO area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If it makes any difference,,,,,,, my knee still collapses on a daily basis, dont know if it is related or not.
thanks
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Muscle spasms?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 08:19:03 PM »
Hey !!

If it's muscle spasms you would feel it in your muscles, they contract and sometimes stays contract for a long time. It can also feels like your muscles are jumping or shaking, hope you understand. I wonder if it can be nervs growing together again and turning on this pain.
Well hope you don't get it again !!

hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Muscle spasms?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 11:53:02 PM »
I have daily, even hourly spasms of my quad due to the patella baja and the scar tissue that is in there.  I haven't found a good way to fix it, but a heating pad helps a bit (as long as you ice after).  Regular deep tissue massage also helps a little.

At this point, until we can get my kneecap back in the right position, there's not much to be done about the quad spasms.

Scar tissue (even if it's not tons of it) can cause spasms of muscle groups as well, as can overdoing it in PT or walking.  

Heather

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell