Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Need info/ advice  (Read 890 times)

Offline AmandaB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Need info/ advice
« on: October 22, 2004, 04:39:21 PM »
Hi all,

I am new to the board and the question I have is not so much about me but my husband.  He had arthoscopy done on his right knee about 2 years ago for a miniscal tear, all went well and 10 days post op he was back at work and back to normal with little to no pain.  This past spring his left knee started doing the same things as his right had (grinding, locking, pain, swelling) so when the OS wanted to do arthroscopy on it thinking there was again a miniscal tear we were not in the least concerned.  Well he had surgery on May 20, 2004 and so began what is beginning to feel like a never ending problem. He started swelling alot and his knee was warm to tough within a couple of days.  We thought maybe he had somehow gotten an infection, he was perscribed antibiotics and by 5 days post op started PT. At 5 weeks post op we saw the OS for follow up.  His knee was still swollen pretty badly and the pain was unbearable, his ROM was about 100 and -2.  The OS put him on Vioxx and said he would follow up in another 6 weeks but that the problem was caused by the inflammation.  Ok so we continue with PT and the Vioxx, nothing seemed to be changing except that the inflammation was almost goneso at the next appointment with the OS, I said what gives he was better off before he had the surgery, when is this going to get better. The OS told us that he had PFS and that it was unknown as to how long it would take to heal but to keep up with the PT and Vioxx.  Since that appointment Vioxx was pulled and hubby was prescribed Naproxan to replace it, we also found out that the Vioxx had made hubbys blood so thin it is like water.  His ROM hasn't changed even with continued PT and his pain is still about the same.  His knee is still locking up, grinding and swelling.  We are at 5+ months post op and still worse off then before surgery.  I started doing more research into PFS to find out exactly what it is, treatments and prognosis.  Almost everything I have read doesn't match up with hubby.  His pain comes from the bottom of the patella and the inner side of his knee.  There has never been any mention by the OS or PT regarding a tracking problem. So I am really confused and to top it all off we now have the disability insurance people telling us that he should be able to return to work but I just can't see how he can when he can't stand, sit or walk for any period of time without pain and he is going to PT 2x a week for 2+ hours.  I am really hoping you all can give me some advice and also some ideas of what this could be if it isn't PFS. Thanks.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Need info/ advice
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 08:40:15 PM »
I think you need to get your Husband to another surgeon for another opinion. It doesn't seem right wiht the amount of swelling and pain etc that it could be  "just" PFS. PFS is a syndrome so it refers more to a collection of symptoms, rather than a specific disease.  It does sounds like PFS doesn't fit your husbands symptoms.  Symptoms for PFS, usually include, clicking, catching, pain, swelling, the pain is usually felt behind the kneecap and around the patella.  Did you say that your husbands pain was medial, below the patella?  Try looking up Plica syndrome if this is the case and see if it sounds similar...   

I wish I could offer more suggestions but i'm not sure what I can say.  I think you need another opinion... as soon as possible.

Hang in there, wish I could offer more in the way of suggestions.

Welcome to the board,
sending you and your husband Hugs and hope
Linds
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 08:49:13 PM by Linds »
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Need info/ advice
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 08:59:12 PM »
okay so I did some searching and found a few articles on Plica, not sure how helpful they will be..since it might not even be Plica, but it's worth a look...

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/926049465.html

http://www.eorthopod.com/eorthopodV2/index.php/orthoSite/1b4e9b518c3033ca59c2ebc8c1e30512/fuseaction/topics.detail/ID/fa69fe94ac420e6d00d8209080e16767/area/17

hope that helps
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?