Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: In pain and fed up...  (Read 994 times)

kneesknees

In pain and fed up...
« on: October 22, 2004, 01:08:41 AM »
Hi everyone,

Basically I wondered if anyone would have any ideas about what this could be....I have pain across the front of my right kneecap which is tender but not really painful to touch - that is I don't like the sensation of it being touched by anything.  There is also a kind of shadow or line visible across the tender area.  I have problems bending the knee and pain when I try and straighten it.   Any ideas?

In the same knee, but at the back towards the inside of my leg, something which feels like maybe a muscle (very possibly not a muscle, I've tried looking it up but just get confused) seems to regularly 'slide about' and is really quite painful.  

Any ideas about what either of these things could be?

Also, just a quick introduction because I realised I didn't do that yet...I'm a 19 year old female who was diagnosed with chondromalacia in January in my right knee.  Had physio but my right knee deteriorated and ended up with pain in both knees, with my right leg in a brace holding it straight and crutches.  I now have two very painful knees but the physio has stopped seeing me because it 'wasn't progressing as she liked' and I am now waiting on mri scans and hip X-Rays after seeing an OS.  I'm in the UK so, as you'll all know, this is taking AGES.  

I really feel like I've just been left to fend for myself now...I am unable to bend my right leg because it's extremely stiff and is painful and I now rely on one crutch to get about all the time.

Any input from anyone would be so appreciated because I'm really feeling fed up - I apologise for the vague descriptions of symptoms.

Thanks everyone and hope you're all feeling okay,

Katy

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: In pain and fed up...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 01:41:53 AM »
Does it feel kind of like you have a rubber band or a thin cable under the skin?  And if you manipulate or palpate this, it feels tender and sore?  And does it feel like it snaps or catches when you bend and straighten?

If so, you may want to look up plica syndrome on this web page.  Go to 'general info' and look up the kneecap and tracking links--I think there's a whole section for plica.

Another good knee resource is www.kneehippain.com and click on the knee links.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

kneesknees

Re: In pain and fed up...
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 01:55:13 AM »
Thanx so much for the reply Heather,

It does feel like a band or cable under the skin, thats a really good way to describe it.  Its on the inside at the back of my right knee and the best way I can describe it is as sliding around which causes pain.  However, it doesn't hurt when I palpate it and I don't really feel it when I move my leg.  (that's when I get the pain at the front, across the kneecap) It's mainly when I'm just standing and it suddenly seems to slip causing pain.

I wonder if it could be anything to do with the fact that my leg has been straight literally since the beginning of April...I still walk around with it straight now.  Is it possible I could have done some damage to something by walking like this?

Thank you for the input...I'll go look up plica syndrome now anyway.

Katy