Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chiropractor??  (Read 1900 times)

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Chiropractor??
« on: October 19, 2004, 03:15:49 AM »
Hi guys~

hope you are all taking care of those wonderful knees. :P  i just got back from hockey practice.  i know this doesnt seem like alot but i actually just stopped during a drill cuz i just couldnt take it anymore.  i personally am proud that i was able to just say stop for once.  

anyways, i was just wondering.  while notifying my captain that i'm trying to the best of my ability and about my knee situation, she gave me a suggestion.  Her father is a chiropractor in the area.  I was just wondering if maybe i should try going to him or not. she said that he has helped her. have any on here had success with chriopractors??  my family doesnt really "believe" in them but i'll see what i can do.  
i just dont want him messing anything more up on me.  I mean im not dissing them or anything but i dunno ive never been to one before and i just dont want anything more to happen with my knees etc.

any insight would be great! thanks!
take care,
~Mandy :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 03:16:42 AM by Mandy »
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline LesleyR

• Forum Faithful
  • Things will only get better from here
Re: Chiropractor??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 03:46:00 AM »
GOOD FOR YOU! captains are always understanding (well, mine's my sister so she has to be) but i have heard about going to the chiropracter for knee problems. one of the girls on my team goes and she seems to like it.  its def an alternative option for the knees that youi might wanna consider
20 Years old
10/6/05-Plica removal left knee
2/21/09 MCL grade II tear
Avid Rugby and Ice hockey Player

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 03:59:47 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't let a chiropractor touch my knee.

If your problems are mechanical, little the chiropractor can do will help.  However, they can keep your back and hips in alignment, which can be problematic when you have bum knees.  Chiropractors study the spine, and so like I said, I wouldn't let one touch my knee again.  I had one 'adjust' my knee once, and he basically subluxed it and put the kneecap back.  It was quite painful, and the 'relief' I got was from the knee going back.  I can sublux my knee on my own, thank you  :P

If chiropractics were an answer to PFS, there would be a lot less people here on the board searching for solutions.  By all means, see a chiro for hip and back issues, though most doctors will argue that a massage does just as well and will actually work to KEEP your spine in alignment by relaxing the muscles that pull it out of alignment.  I get massages every week.  I used to do massage and chiro every week--first the massage, to relax everything for the spinal adjustment.  But then my insurance stopped covering chiro, and I just did the massages...with the same benefits.

In fact, I found ROLFING, which is a very specific musculo-skeletal realignment massage technique (very deep tissue, and you have to work with the therapist) was a lot better for resolving my back and hip problems than the chiropractor.  That's because the goal was to keep me from having to go back!  After about 10 Rolfing sessions I didn't need to go back--my muscles were strengthened by the exercises the therapist gave me and were holding my spine in alignment on their own.  That's the problem with chiropractics--it feels great, but you have to keep going back.

That's my two cents' worth.  I don't think any reputable chiro could promise to heal ongoing knee issues, but they can help keep the rest of the body in line while you deal with altered gait and knee pain.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline MHB

• Regular Poster
  • We become what we do -- gotta watch out for that.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 04:31:48 AM »
Heather M,

Just want to reinforce what you said about Rolfing/Rolfers -- maybe not applicable Mandy's situation, but mention of Rolfing in some of your previous posts put me on that track with very good result. Fortunately, there was a Rolfer right here where I live.

First session, she unstuck an adhesion that I had been griping about to PT/OS, neither of which even acknowledged was there. Three minutes she took to accomplish that, instant comfort for sure.

Next session, she unstuck fascia on both leg muscle groups -- a few more adhesions on the injured leg, way up the side of the thigh, too. I continued through the ten sessions, which resulted in more comfort, an education, too, really. The Rolfing concept of helping gravity do its best is one I now strongly accept.

Also encouraged a friend to visit -- she had two main issues, pain/swelling in a "recovered" broken foot and a shoulder injured years previously in a car crash -- very little ROM and lots of pain. Today, her foot no longer swells/hurts, and she has ROM in the injured shoulder identical to her "normal" one with no pain at all.

The Rolfer I visited is highly skilled, very talented and strongly movitated in her work, which I suspect is typical. Am so grateful I had/will continue to have the experience -- had never even heard the word Rolfing until I read your posts here.

Thanks again, MHB
4/4/04 - Horizontal patella fracture
4/5 - ORIF 2 screws, figure8 wire, immobilizer, walker
4/16 -  cane
5/10 - no immobilizer
PT -- 5/17 to 6/8
OS Release - 7/12/04

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 05:09:22 AM »
Hey everyone~

just wanna thank ya for the quick replies.  i kinda had a feeling what everyone was gonna say, and i got pretty much what i expected! :)  i think im just gonna stay away from the chiropractor right now and hold off on that.  i'll just stick to the OS and PT.  

just got back from a team meeting for the upcoming season....didnt have the heart to let my coaches know about the knees.... :-[  i dunno what it is i just get like scared to tell them.  one coach knows ive had crappy knees before and he freaked then....he just like was mad that i was hurt.  not mad that i wasnt taking care of myself, more mad at the fact that he couldnt do anything about it.  so i dunno, hopefully soon the coaches can see the braces i wear 24/7 and that may give them a clue!  we'll see

well here i am again, rambling! :P
thanks again everyone
take care,
~Mandy
21 yrs old

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 09:00:30 PM »
Umm... just my 2 cents worth
I went to see a Chiropractor for 8 months last year, and it did help me.
He fitted me for Orthotics which made a big difference... treating the spine corrected the subluxations in the spinal cord which only caused more problems and pressure on nerves.   After Limping around for 15 years your body does get a little out of wack believe it or not.  He also treated my quads with active release therapy, cause my Quadriceps are all stuck together with adhesions... this too helped.   HE never tried to do anything to align the joint...never actually touched my knee except for when I saw him for my intitial evaluation.  Treating everything else, I found really made things with the knees easier, when everything else is where it is supposed to be I had alot less problems getting around .
Just my thoughts,  my Chiropractor made a huge difference to me.

Take care Mandy and goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 12:56:20 AM »
Just wanted to reiterate that I am not anti-chiropractor, I just don't think they should touch knees.  

I'm very much in favor of seeing a chiropractor, acupuncturist, massage therapist, nutritionist, or any other kind of -ist to help with the supportive care.  When you have a knee problem, your entire body can get out of whack.  The back and hip problems can at times be more painful than my knee problems, so I am very much in favor of ANYTHING that helps.  That's one of the main reasons I see a PM&R doctor (physical medicine & rehabilitation), because their job is to work on the whole patient and take care of the domino injuries and complaints that come when someone has a chronic condition.  Mine has diagnosed and treated my back and hip problems, and given me exercises to help keep them in line.  So if the chiropractor helps keep you 'just a knee patient' then by all means go see one!  Just don't go expecting your knee problems to be magically cured...that way, if you get significant improvement you will be pleasantly surprised  :P

For me, the chiropractor was like the TENS unit, the taping, the supportive shoes, etc.  No one thing solved my problems, but combined together, they made me more comfortable.  And that's really what it's all about--quality of life.

One thought I had was that you may want to see if any of the reputable chiropractors in your area do ASTM.  This is Augmented Soft Tissue Mobilization, and it is meant to help with scar tissue and loosening tight fascial structures.  So if you have PFS-type pain due to tight lateral retinaculum, for example, the ASTM may help loosen and stretch those structures so they stop putting traction on your kneecap.  And after surgery, it's unfortunately common to get things like localized scar tissue, tendinitis, and myo-fascial restrictions (the body tightens everything up due to being in 'protective mode' for lack of a better word--like the way you tighten up when you know something painful is coming).  So possibly ASTM might be helpful for you.  It's not fun, though--it hurts like you wouldn't believe, actually.  Leaves you bruised and tender...but about two days later, you realize you really can stretch and things in general just loosen up.  It's a lot like ROLF massage, only they use instruments as well...little torture implements.  Frankly, I'd try ROLFing first, but ASTM has made a huge difference in the lives of many people.  I'm currently considering ASTM or something like it to keep my scar tissue from continually tightening up, as it is currently trying to do.

Look up ASTM, myo-fascial release, and ROLF massage practitioners in your area.  I really believe that alternative treatments can help with your pain and function, but don't expect them to get you running marathons again...that will just take some time and work, right?

Heather
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 12:57:57 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 03:53:13 AM »
Hi everyone~

wow, thanks for the great information, all of you.  i'm still unsure about the whole thing about going and all...i think im just gonna wait for a little bit and see what pans out and all.  

heather-- thanks for the great tips about what i should look up and all. dont worry, you didnt sound like you were anit-chiropractor.  you were just stating how you feel on the issue and thats totally fine! ;)  

but i still am just gonna hold out on everything about the whole chriopractic as the things that people have suggested, i would have to travel quite a distance just to see some one who does these techniques.  i live in a small town with only about 10,000 people (most of them farming and agriculture).  so there arent many facilities around here.   i travel enough the way it is with all my other health conditions and sports.  i think im gonna wait out on stuff till i can get more organized and see what i wanna do.

thanks again everyone for posting here, its great to hear from other people!  hope all of you are getting along with the knees!
take care,
~Mandy
21 yrs old

support