Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Frustrated, need advice!  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Jilly-Bean

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Frustrated, need advice!
« on: October 18, 2004, 09:31:46 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the board and need some advice.  :)

I've had 3 arthroscopies over the past 3 years.  One lateral release on my right knee on 8-02.  Then, another lateral release on my left knee on 4-03.  My left knee has never seemed to respond to the surgery like my right knee did.  I've had the same pain since the surgery, so in October of last year my OS gave me a steriod shot, it did nothing.  Then in December I went through the Sinvisc Injections, they also did nothing for it.  My OS finally suggested a debridgement on the knee.  I had the surgery on 5-25 of this year.  Well, it's been 6 months since the surgery and the pain is still there.  Going up stairs is terrible, much less playing basketball or mountain biking again!!  I'm so frustrated, as you can imagine, I have another post-op on Wednesday 10-20.  I'm not sure what I can say to get it through to him that I CAN'T deal with this.  Any suggestions....help!
Lateral Release Right Knee, August 2002
Lateral Release Left Knee, April 2003
Debridgement, Left Knee, May 2004

Offline 6ocala

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Frustrated, need advice!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 10:57:08 PM »
 :)Wow you sound like me, I had a partial lateral release on my R knee and I wish I never had the os touch me. Right after the surgery I kept telling him something is WRONG, he would'nt believe me and kept saying I need more time, well I am now 3 months post op and on my last visit with the os I made him do another MRI, My knee now is worse off than before the first surgery, I have more problems now than ever, The os has schedule another arthoscopic surgery for late November, But my friends on this site really help me out. I am going for another opinion this wednesday, and maybe several more before I go through another surgery. Have the os do another MRI, it may show your not healing right or problems like I have.
I hope all goes well for you..
Linda 6ocala

Offline Jilly-Bean

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 11:24:21 PM »
Thanks for your reply Linda!!   :)  It sounds like other people regret having a lateral release too? My OS has never done a MRI on either knee.  
I've had 2 other opinions, but these doctors seem afraid to make a diagnosis since the surgery has already been done.   One doc even sent me for a bone scan looking for arthritis, the scan showed no arthritis anywhere in my body...go figure!!
I don't blame you one bit for getting more opinions, I wanted someone else's opinion too....

Good Luck....

Offline BuffettBarbie

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 02:11:00 AM »
Jilly,

Lateral Releases don't always work- it's just the first step some OSes take (after making you go through much PT) to correct a tracking problem.  When it doesn't work, your OS should further investigate the cause, and try to correct it.  If your OS does not do this, it is time to find a new one who actually specializes in knees.  Best of luck and many hugs!

Chris  :)
Lateral Release- Left Knee (Feb 2001)
Lateral Release- Right Knee (April 2001)
Fulkerson's TTO, Lateral Release, & Scope- Right Knee (20 Aug 2004)

brattkids2

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 03:17:10 AM »
Sorry you are having such a hard time. If it hurts tell him it hurts. Never give up and tell him you cant deal with it.
If he wont listen go to someone else. ( I know easier said than done)  Somebody will  listen. Hope you get better soon.
The best of luck to you at  your appointment. :)
Paulette

Offline Jilly-Bean

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 11:52:49 PM »
Okay, here's the latest update, my OS has suggested a Fulkerson's TTO.  But, he wants me to go to another doc for a second opinion, which is great, glad he suggested it!!  :)
The surgery is tentatively scheduled for 12-21, but I'm really nervous.  I can't stand living with this pain everyday, and told my OS exactly that!!!
How bad is the surgery?  My OS told me I would have to be out of work for 4-6 weeks, YIKES!!!  
Any advice or thoughts??

thanks so much,
jilly-bean

brattkids2

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 01:36:16 AM »
Sorry to hear that you have to have surgery.

A second opinion would probably be good. And you don't have to worry that you will hurt or offend your OS being he suggested it.

Husband had the osteotomy (may 2004) and was on crutches for 8 weeks- 6 NWB and the other 2 weening off he said the pain was really bad the first few days but then became more tolerable with each other day. He feels GREAT now. He said the daily unbearable pain he used to have is gone. He still has some soreness from arthritis.

Im really happy for you that you told your OS your pain was unbearable and that he listened.

Good Luck with all!!!!! :)
Paulette

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 01:42:41 AM »
Jilly,

Lateral Releases don't always work- it's just the first step some OSes take (after making you go through much PT) to correct a tracking problem.  

A LR shouldn't be performed to correct a tracking problem as it's only effective to correct patellar tilt!
I had it and although it didn't work am do not regret I had it. Sure I wish I had done the TTT rightaway but you never know if it's gonna work. Still haven't decided which route I will take with R knee (LR or TTT rightaway).

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2004, 02:07:04 PM »
I agree with Helena, a LR should only be done to correct Lateral Patellar tilt. :P I have had a LR on both of my knees, and although it hasn't corrected all of my problems, it has helped...well my right recovered knee anyhow...my left knee is better in so many ways, but I still have a few problems.   Sometimes it's difficult to get across to your doctors what you need. I know for me, i'm too shy to speak up and speak my mind.  I like to write the points down that I need addressed, at the appointment.  Sometimes my OS will just read the thing, and then talk to me. :D  Might be an idea.

Goodluck HUGS and hope
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?