Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: why hasn't anyone written?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Gimpyone

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
why hasn't anyone written?
« on: October 18, 2004, 01:18:51 AM »
I take it all of you folks are in the UK.  Just had a bone scan (dexa study)...sure would have liked it if someone would have at least replied, but (sigh), not one has!  Darn, feel I could have related to some of you, and shared concerns.....oh well.  Hope you all are on the mend, and will be A-okay soon.  Warmest thoughts from Lansing, MI, USA

Warm hellos to everyone!
July 2nd I was walking across the highway and was hit by a car.....tibial plateau fracture.  I have 2 plates and 13 screws.  I am at 25% weightbearing until dr appt in November.  Must have hardware removed between March and July of next year as it is stress bearing and will bend according to OS.  Also told that down the road I will need a knee replacement.  Is it possible to avoid having a knee if I really watch what I do re movement.....or is it inevitable? I was told fractures so bad that if I hurry anything, and rebreak, there can be no fixing, which is why I will be at 25% for 2 months.  Any advice?  I have PT 3Xwk, use wheelchair and walker....so far no balance, and when I am stood up straight, I feel like I am leaning....depressed about being unable to walk for so long.....staying in hotel suite as I cannot do stairs, and unfortunately, I live in a colonial.  Sure, I thought I was a "young" 56, but brother.....I feel like I'm a 100 now......
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 04:27:42 PM by Gimpyone »

Offline bluedog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: why hasn't anyone written?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 08:22:51 PM »
Sorry no one has written you. :(  But most of us are just like you, and we don't have all the answers.  You might try posting in the Bone breaks around the knee area.  

Blue

Most of the people on the board are in the UK, but there are a lot of us in the US too.  I'm Indiana, grew up in MI and went to MSU.
Tore ACL 13yrs ago playing soccer - rehabed, no surgery
Surgery on May 12, 2004 - ACL recon (tibial tendon allograft) 3 medial meniscus tears removed, discovered large OCD (mircofractured)

Offline mcahill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 12:54:13 AM »
I am in the us also, missouri, sorry to hear about your accident.  I've had several open knee surgeries and have resulting patella baja and am headed to a new os next week to see what can be done now.  I am trying to avoid a knee replacement as well, they say I'm to young (43), but they want to remove my knee cap to eliminate pain.  All I can say is, hang in there!
arthroscopic, lateral release both knees, hausher then maquet right knee, maquet left knee, chondromalacia, patella baja

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 02:07:47 AM »
Hope you're not going for the patellectomy. Should be extremely last last last resort. Also, I've read that TKR after patellectomy is much more difficult. I'm dealing with a lot of knee things right now. Please do your homework. Many on this site can help.

Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline mainegal

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Notes From Away
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 02:53:30 AM »
Gimpyone

Oww! I don't know anything about your injury or rehab. Sorry to hear about your accident. Sounds like a really tough situation. Hope it all works out. Definately try posting in the bone breaks  section.

Lansing.. really! I am just outside of Detroit. Lil' bro is at MSU,so periodically I do end up in the area. Really isn't fun dealing with the knee in this weather, huh? This weekend was rough with the pouring rain on Saturday.. Since my TTT at the end of August, I think my knee barometer has been calibrated.  :D

Melissa
RK TTT (Fulkerson) & LR - 8/31/04
RK - genetic PF maltracking, chronic patellar tendinitis
RK - Q-angle was 25, post-op= 15

brattkids2

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 03:50:22 AM »
I live in fowlerville  bout 10 minutes from lansing.

Sorry to hear about your accident wow you sure had a bad hit. Hope you are getting better. I know its probably really slow and seeming like forever but time is what heals. I know its really depressing to not be able to walk but you dont want to mess up anything.

Best of luck on healing!!!!!
Paulette :)

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 05:13:51 PM »
Lots of Michigan folk here! I live outside of Detroit in Farmington Hills.

Gimpyone: I also suggest you look down in the Bone Breaks Around the Knee section. There are probably lots of people there discussing your kind of situation. Good luck.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline mainegal

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
    • Notes From Away
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 05:20:39 PM »
Janet,
  We are neighbors as I am in F-Hills too.

Michigan must be bad on knees or something because there are a lot of us here.. (though I actually blame Maine for my knees and Michigan for flaring it up)

Melissa
RK TTT (Fulkerson) & LR - 8/31/04
RK - genetic PF maltracking, chronic patellar tendinitis
RK - Q-angle was 25, post-op= 15

support