Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hello All I just had Surgery and...  (Read 1890 times)

Offline shiphips

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Hello All I just had Surgery and...
« on: October 17, 2004, 09:54:40 PM »
Hello all.  I underwent surgery on the 11th of October, I hd AArthroscopy on my left knee which resulted in a 'trimming' of my meniscus.  Before surgery I complained of my knee buckling backward when I stood on it, I was told by my surgeon there was nothing in the MRI to indicate why that was happening.  I will be going to see him again on the 21st (post-op) and the knee is still buckling backwards.  I've done a little reserach today and have found that this can be an injur to the ACL or might be Plica Syndrome...either way I need solid questions to ask.

What's happening before and after surgery:

Before:
popping sound  (I've not heard this since surgery)
Leg buckling when stood on (still happening)
Knee buckles backwards (I can not find anything online about this so I don't know what this falls under) I've found keen buckles sideways which would indicate a Medial and Lateral Collateral Ligament Injury, but nothing about it feeling as if it is trying to bend backward...any help with this would be appreciated)
Pain/swelling, of course this is to be expected
Snap when knee is bent then straightened (less of this as time goes on)
Locking and weakness of knee.

with all of that I think he missed an injury to the ACL or should I just wait and see?  All comments are more than welcome.

Thank you
shiphips

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Hello All I just had Surgery and...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 12:22:46 AM »
I can't diagnose your problem, but....

Perhaps the knee buckling backward is from weak quad muscles? I know it sometimes would happen to me. I would be fine and then unexpectedly my knee would hyperextend straight back. I was told it was due to my weak quads....which were atrophied following a quad tendon rupture repair. It never happens now that I have got some strenth back.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline shiphips

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 02:47:09 AM »
Thanks!  I will do a little research on this and bring it up to my doc.  I'm not really looking for a diagnosis, really looking for others like you that might know what this at least sounds like.  Thank you.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 04:56:56 AM »
When your knee buckles backwards, it's called hyper-extension.  It happens when the leg muscles are weak, or if your body is trying to protect the joint from pain (like walking on it after surgery and zinging it--the knee can buckle as a response to quickly stop whatever action was hurting the knee).  It can be the result of ligament issues, but if you had a scope your doctor would have seen ligament problems and likely done something with them...unless you're in the UK.  For some reason a lot of people come out of exploratory scopes there and are told 'you need ACL repair, schedule it for later' which is crazy if you ask me.  If I had surgery and woke up and the OS told me WHAT was wrong but that he didn't fix it, I'd slug him.

Anyway, hyper-extension can be a real problem after surgery, especially if you have a lot of wasting of the quad muscles.  Also, you will need to work on building your hamstrings back up, and more importantly, creating a balance between these muscle groups.  That may very well take care of your hyper-extension problems.

I had issues with this after my last scope--it was my fifth surgery, and I was really worried because I'd never had anything like it before.

The other noises/sensations in your knee can easily be explained by post-op swelling.  My surgeon said he never worries about 'chatty' knees post op, as it's quite normal for them to make all kinds of strange sounds and vibrate, pop, snap, and crunch.  Par for the course, I'm afraid.

Heather

PS You may feel better if you get your surgical notes--it will say what the state of your ACL and other ligaments was, and go through the visual checks that all surgeons do when they perform surgery.
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline shiphips

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 05:37:51 PM »
Hi Heather.  Thanks for all the information.  I just called the doctors office and asked for the surgical notes.  The Hyper-extension was happening before surgery also.  I am doing research now about building up the quad muscles and building my hamstrings.  Thanks so much.  I will be able to go into my dr. appt. Wednesday sounding like someone with half a brain...lol.  

Do you know anything about the pain (extreme) I am having in my calf?  The surgery had nothing at all to do with the calf but the pain when I walk is unreal.  I read somewhere about atrophy, but I've been unsing the leg everyday since surgery and can't understand why that would be happening and is it reversible?

Offline unome

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 08:14:27 AM »
I'm certainly not a doctor of any sort but after reading your post; it sounds like you STILL have serious issues inside your knee. Just from what you describe, sounds like ligament/tendon concerns. I've had knee problems and I've studied all I can find on the subject and this is why I say what I did. I hope you find the correct answers and a good surgeon. I also hope you don't wait too much longer. It's wonderful to walk.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 10:55:53 AM »
When you say you have terrible calf pain, is it only when you're walking on it?  Or do you have it at rest as well?

Have you been evaluated for a potential blood clot?  It is a rare but serious complication after knee surgery, and if you told your doctor you had severe calf pain he would likely talk to you further to evaluate your risks for it.  If you did have a blood clot (also called DVT or deep vein thrombosis) it can be diagnosed by ultrasound.

So PLEASE discuss this severe calf pain with your doctor when you see him.  

Beyond that, your knee could have easily hyper-extended before your surgery because of weakness of the muscles and/or your body was protecting the injured
joint.  I really wouldn't worry about it being permanent or a ligament injury that the doctor somehow missed--it would be tough to do so, especially if you had a scope AND an MRI.

After my last surgery, when I had the severe hyper-extension and buckling problem, my PT had me doing quad sets and straight leg raises about every hour.  And I used an e-stim unit at home to help my quads fire even more strongly and evenly.  At first, the hyper-extension problem got a bit worse, because I was working my non-existent quads so hard that they were trembling and fatigued.  But it got better, and disappeared within 10-14 days.

Hope this info helps you.  Be sure to discuss the calf pain and other questions with your OS, so he can reassure you what was done.  Likely, he'll go over the operative report with you--and any photos if he took them.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline shiphips

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 06:00:23 PM »
Hi Heather,  the calf pain is only when I walk.  While at rest I have no pain at all.  However, after the mishap last night now I have severe pain at the very bottom of my calf...boy this is nonending.

shiphips

support