Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery advice PLEASE  (Read 1622 times)

Offline 6ocala

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Surgery advice PLEASE
« on: October 17, 2004, 06:26:30 PM »
 :( I had surgery on my R knee 6/21 for unknown reasons until the os was able to see what was wrong with the scope..My MRI was normal according to the radiology results that were in the films( I read these and have a copy) BUT my knee was in terrible pain so the os said lets go in and have a look. After surgery, I was told I had a torn miniscus, fluid and had a patella that wasn,t tracking right, so he did a partial lateral  release, and some cartledge damage.  I had a very slow recovery and after 3 months requested another MRI because my knee now was in worse pain , stiffness, and I cant bend down.. So last week I had the MRI, THOSE results show another minicus tear at the horn, patella is wrong, cartledge damage is moderate. The os said, OK lets go in again and see whats going on, surgery is schedule for late November. MY question is, HOW can my knee get worse if he suppose to have fixed it the first time, and should I just leave well enough alone, I am afraid to let this man go back in when he did a horrible job the first time around.  What will happen if I dont do anything, did any of you have a worse knee after the surgery that was suppose to make it better. I know it just arthoscopic surgery, but the risks of anesthesia, and the pain afterwards, I am not up to this again. Please write back with advice.
Linda

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Surgery advice PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 07:07:06 PM »
Hey Linda !!

Maybe you should go get a second opinion before going into surgery again or even third. This sounds little weird to me everything of it. I mean if he has fixed things and it sounds like you still have the same problems and pain is worse too. Go see another doc, an orthopeadic surgeon specialized in knees.
Good luck !!

hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Leta_MT

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 08:27:06 PM »
Lateral release is not "just an arthoscopic procedure"! It is a MAJOR arthoscopic procedure.  The reason OS's don't tell you this is because it is easy for THEM to perform. It is a difficult rehab from a bloody surgery. I had way more swelling from my LR than I did from the subsequent patello-femoral arthoplasty and TTT done at the same time! Also, from what I understand, MRI is accurate only 70% of the time in soft tissue injuries. It shows little to nothing where the bone is concerned. Only x-ray and CT show the bone with any accuracy.

Unfortunately, LR alone is usually only effective on patellar tilt and does little to actually correct maltracking. I know this was the case for me and many others on this site. Although I appreciate my OS's attempt to keep the surgeries minimal, it is important that all the correct diagnostics are performed before letting anyone do a lateral release, or any other procedure for that matter! Had we started with a CT, I would be a year and four months past my only surgery instead of four months past my second surgery.

This is just my opinion so take it for whatever you feel it is worth, but I would be opposed to an OS routinely doing arthoscopy just to "take a look and see what's happening"! That is why we have x-rays, CTs and MRIs! Have them all done so that you feel confident that the next time your in the OR, you know what is going to happen and it has a better than average chance of fixing you!

Long story short: I agree with Nettan, get yourself another opinion!!!

Good luck!

Leta
OA in both knees; patellar dislocation left knee 2/03; LR on left 7/03; PFR w/TTT, left 6/18/04

Offline 6ocala

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 05:02:41 PM »
 :)Thanks so much for writing back, I made another appt with a new OS that's on our insurance , Its made for this coming wednesday, I have both my new and old MRI to show him, Hopefully this man will take the time to explain what he's going to do and what is really wrong with my knee'S, I NEED THE LEFT ONE DONE ALSO, BUT AFTER THIS, NO WAY !
I'll keep the surgery date for now, and see what this new OS has to say. Dr Katzman never told me he was going to do a lateral release, now I know that where my problems come from, If I could just bend my knee down to the floor (stoop) I can live with the pain and stiffness, I wouldn't even consider going through this again. I've had several major surgerys already and this one was the worst. I broke my neck in 1996, and had to have major fusion in C-3 to C-6, I hate surgery!
Well thanks again my knee friends, I love you guys, I will let you know the out come this wednesday !
Love Linda

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 05:41:41 PM »
Good for you on getting another opinion. If you are still not comfortable with what the new OS has to say, then get yet another opinion. I myself saw 5 different OSs (and several other docs) before letting anyone cut on me and I am so glad I did!!

cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline 6ocala

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 10:09:07 PM »
 :)Well I saw the new OS today and he said don't rush into another surgery and to do a wait and see, 3 to 6 months.. He said I know you want to do this before the new year for money reasons, but i would advice waiting a little longer to see if it gets better. So i am putting this on hold for awhile, the new OS said its not urgent to get in there right now. So wish me luck, and I hope it gets better without another surgery.
I hope all goes well for the rest of you with your knee problems.
Linda

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 11:55:12 PM »
Hey !!

I think you do the right thing for now. Thanks for the good wishing. Good luck yourself and come in here and let us know how you are sometimes, cause I'm interested if you are getting better.

Hugs from nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline 6ocala

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 06:41:08 PM »
Hey Nettan , I am really scared now. I just called to try and cancel the surgery and the OS got on the phone, and said. that the tear is to deep into the miniscus all the way to the horn ( whats that) and there is more fluid, a moderate amount.  I said can we post pone it until late December, he said will see. What is this miniscus thing, can it cure itself if we leave well enough alone, I mean, heck he was in there only 3 months ago trying to fixed this and now it tore more? Then he wants to do more lateral release cause the patella isnt tracking right again. I am scared that its going to get so bad I'll end up with a total knee someday.
And the fear of another IV, that dam Nurse blew my vein twice, I had a bruise all the way up to my armpit, The first one she tried to put the needle into the area where you draw blood from, it blew then she moved it to the area just below that, again it blew, they finally stuck it into the wrist by my thumb!, I get IBS just thinking about it!!!
I know i am just rambling, but I am scared this time around. Well thanks for listening to me rant. My surgery is suppose to be November 1st, if he can't change it to a later date.
Well I better go, Are any of you from Florida, Port Saint Lucie!! You know the hurricane state, the houses with no roofs, screen porches blown off and bedrooms ceilings collapsing! My house had 36,500 damage to it, and we can't get a roof back on until late april, because of all the houses needing roofs. I think I need PROZAC..
well, hugs to all, and thanks for listening!
love Linda

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 10:04:33 PM »
Hey Linda !!

I'm terribly sorry about your house, must have been awful these hurricanes !! Try take a deep breath before you decide what to do. If you feel lost between the docs get even a third opinion, cause it's your knee and your future. If you not are feeling comfortable with your first Os and if you don't trust him, you should not go ahead with surgery. Have you told Os1 that you have got a 2nd opinion and what the 2nd doc said ?
And what did you tell your 2nd doc does he/she know about the first one and that surgery ?
I know I haven't got any good solution for you but maybe some good thoughts at least.
Hope you can solve this and that you have your roof back before april. Maybe you can make a new topic and ask people from your area about a good doc to recommend.

Hugs Nettan  ::)