Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Follow my ACI, start to finish, starts 18/10/04.  (Read 58222 times)

Offline QBknee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Follow my ACI, start to finish, starts 18/10/0
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2004, 05:58:29 AM »
http://users.erols.com/equinox/aci_rehab.html

Jules,

Have you seen this website from a patient who had the ACI procedure several years back. He documented his Post-Op rehab.  I refer to it every so often to compare what activities I am doing and at what stage.

Although my rehab is complicated due to scar tissue, I like to benchmark the various exercises people are doing.  I am over the 1 year mark, and my focus is starting to shift more towards muscle strength.  I continue to do little or no resistance on the bike and elliptical, and walk backwards on the treadmill.

I actually did a light jog tonight after leaving the gym.  I went for about 1 minute, the first jog in over two years. The leg feels pretty weak, but I think with additional quad strength I can improve.  

My OS was very protective of the graft for about 9 months.  No leg extension or leg press.  

Dan
5/90 - Microfracture, 11/02 - ACI harvesting scope, 09/03 - Bone graft-Scar Resection -10/27/03 - Manip w scope 2/2/05- Posterior Capsular Release, Anterior Interval Release/staph infection, 3/14/05 wash out scope 12/11/06- Scar resection, lat/med releases

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter what keep smiling!!!
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2004, 02:06:37 PM »
Thanks Paulette and Dan for your posts,
thank you for your best wishes, things are slowly improving, the swelling is going down really well and I still progressing with the exercises, though I am looking forward to having the staples out and starting hydrotherapy.
Thanks for the web link Dan I will have a look at that, and congratulations on your short jog, sounds like a long time coming, before you know it you will be in the marathon!! Well may not quite, but you know what I mean. Best of luck.
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Dec 01 - bi-lat mircrofracture & LR
Nov 02 - bi-lat debride & LR
Oct 04 - bi-lat A'scopy & harvest
Nov 04 - R ACI
June 05 - R A'scopy/shave
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2004, 08:20:04 PM »
Hi All,

Well thought I was being clever, last couple of days managed to get up the stairs using both crutches, took less time than going up on my bottom!
I shouldn't have got too confident, as last night I managed two steps and fell backwards, and because both hands were in the crutches, I couldn't grab the banister, so I put my foot down of my bad leg on the step down behind me, tried to regain balance on my good leg, but didn't manage it and put the foot down of my bad leg again on the next step down behind me, and fell against the wall. I must have put full weight bearing on my bad leg for about 10 seconds both times!
Oh the shooting pain in my knee, made me hot, dizzy and feel sick, also the long term aching afterwards put me in tears, and I didn't sleep at all. I've well and truley learnt by that mistake!!. Put ice on it afterwards, to stop any further swelling, but the knee feels very sore and a little stiff today. Don't think I did any major damage, else I think it would have hurt alot more for longer. Fingers crossed any way.
Stan I hope things went well for your 1st stage ACI, and your not in too much pain.
Best regards
Jules
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 08:27:20 PM by Jules »
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline mayme

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2004, 03:04:46 AM »
Dear Jules,

Try not to worry too much about yesterday's mishap (easier said than done, I know). I think we've all been there and it generally seems that a one time boo-boo isn't detrimental.

I fell onto my operated leg two weeks after surgery. My Mom had passed away and I was traveling and moving about more than I had ever planned. Needless to say, I lost my balance getting into a chair - bumped the side of it hard I try to pay attention - and fell full forward onto my graft site. Yeah, it hurt. Not just the knee itself but the pins and needles feeling in my lower leg. I felt weak with fear. Some soreness the next day, too. Scared to death but found out later that I hadn't damaged the graft. But PLEASE do not attempt the stairs again - I think sometimes God gives us a freebie - so probably a good idea to sit up and take notice.  

Best to you in your successful recovery

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2004, 12:45:24 PM »
Thanks Mayme for your post,

I know I have read before others having falls post op. And your fall and feelings you felt are the same as mine, so thankyou it does put my mind at ease a little. I'm so sorry you lost your mum at a difficult time, how long ago did you have your op?
Today the knee is not too bad, and I am going to try and cut down on the pain relief today and see how I get on. Must admit not getting board as such, but just a little fed up. Can't wait to have the staples out tuesday so I can have a bath!!
Well thanks again for reasuring words, I have to be thankful I wasn't at the top of the stairs, else it would have been a lot worse! Thanks again.
Best regards
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline mayme

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2004, 08:57:12 PM »
Hi Jules,

I can tell you're still a little worried about your misstep of the other day and I had another thought. I'm not sure where your graft sites are or how many, but my OS explained & demonstrated to me in his office what kind of fall could actually hurt my graft site. He said mine would be the equivalent of stepping straight-legged off a curb (onto the operated leg) and falling full forward onto the knee with no bend in the knee.

Perhaps, next time you see your OS you could show him exactly what happened. I bet he'd know exactly how those forces affected your knee.  

Continued good luck!

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2004, 09:21:00 PM »
Hi Mayme,
I won't see my OS untill after xmas. but really I'm not so worried now, but I will ask him.
I've not taken as many pain killers today, and the knee has been a little sorer, but I'm coping with it.
Been a bit fed up today, so I thought sod it, I'm going to have a bath, managed resonably well on my own to get in and out of the bath, with my leg constantly out of the bath, funny to see, fly on the wall and all that!
I have had three grafts in total, one from my shin bone and place under the patella, two collegen grafts placed on the trochloea, in total measuring about 8cm sqaure, so quite a lot of damage. Thats why I have to non weight bear for so long.
To have damaged your knee straight legged and falling onto it forward keeping it straight legged would take some doing, its natural to bend it when falling isn't it?
Well thanks again.
Best regards
Jules
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 09:22:40 PM by Jules »
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2004, 03:51:20 PM »
Hi All, just a little update:-

Tuesday 23rd November 2004. Nurse came today to take out my staples and because there was a very tiny gape, she had to put some butterfly sutures on, just to hold it in place. Less than half of them were really painful when they were removed, so overall not too bad. I have been keeping up with my exercises, and started with my bike yesterday. Managed only three lots of two and half minutes yesterday, but managed a terrific nine and a half minutes this morning, but have been told by the nurse to leave off the bending the knee exercises today and tomorrow, to aid further healing with the staples coming out. Still having some strong pain when trying to lift the leg up and down off the settee or bed, and getting the painful tight stretching feeling when doing the bending exercises, to the point when on the bike, it starts to sting, so I stop at that point. The reduction in swelling seems to have stopped, have seen no further improvement for a few days. Going to see the physio Thursday with the hope of starting hydrotherapy next week. Been told I can finally have a proper bath Friday, can't wait!
Hope all well with you.
Best regards
Jules
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 03:16:14 PM by Jules »
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Stan Greenwood

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2004, 01:05:35 PM »
Hi Jules

I just came back to work today (have no e-mail at home). Sorry to hear about your absailing incident!! Glad you didn't ruin all the hard work though.

My Knee is a little sore still, but on the outside of the joint it is completely numb??  I'm actually looking forward to the next stage now as I want it all over and done with!

My OS has said that I will definately be in Plaster-cast for at least 8weeks, so not much partying over xmas/new year!!

Hows your leg looking with the staples out, send a pic if you can. My OS said that he is going to cut straight across my knee rather than around the patella as you have had.

Speak to you soon

Stan  ::)
4 arthoscopy's, De-bridlement, Laterel release, Awaiting Autologous Chondrocyte Transplant

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2004, 03:15:46 PM »
Hi Stan,
Welcome back, your back at work quickly, mine was so sore I didn't go back to work, but then again my job makes me walk up and down wards all day and I did have both knees scoped and one knee harvested.
Whats your date for your 2nd stage?
Why plaster for 8 weeks!? Thats a long time. It a bit strange for you to have numbness after a scope and harvest, but my knee is totally numb on the right and top of the knee, and have been told it may not return.
I know how you feel about looking forward and wanting to get the second stage done, but now I'm here, theres a lot more to go through, the op is nothing really to the rehabilitation.
At least I have the partial-weightbearing 3 days before xmas. so hopefully get about a little better.
I will send you a pic of my knee now, but attachments playing up at the moment, but will try and work round it.
How come they are opening the knee straight across? Are they taking the graft from the shin?
Email you soon with the pic if I can get it to work.
Best regards
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Stan Greenwood

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2004, 03:35:40 PM »
Hi Jules,

I'm going back on the 8th December.
My OS said that every body makes the incision differently and he prefers to cut straight across.  I think he is putting me in the cast for so long as I've been going to him for nearly 10yrs now, and everytime after the op's he tells me I do to much to soon, so I presume its just for damage limitation!

Look forward to seeing your pics (sounds morbid, but you know what I mean!)

TTFN

Stan  ;D
4 arthoscopy's, De-bridlement, Laterel release, Awaiting Autologous Chondrocyte Transplant

Offline blue_ezzie

• Regular Poster
  • "Cleverness is Good...Patience is Better" - Hesse
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2004, 05:59:53 AM »
Hi,

How much are you able to bend your leg Jules? I really struggled with the leg bending after the op... you aren't supposed to push it further when you are in pain but it's a bit of a Catch 22 because I have lost the full flexion in my knee. Made it to 120 degrees flexion yesterday in physio though, which was SUCH an exciting milestone!

Stan, the left side of my left knee was totally numb for a few weeks after the second stage of the operation but the sensation came back very gradually in the following months. I don't have full sensation but I barely notice that now. I also lost feeling in my little finger for a week after the op and every now and again that goes again. Weird!!!!

Betcha looking forward to that bath Jules. Showering on a plastic chair with my leg wrapped in plastic drove me crazy!! Get in that pool as soon as they clear you as well!! It's so exciting to actually be walking, even if it is in water  :)

ezzie

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2004, 11:50:44 AM »
Hi Ezzie,
Good to hear from you again.
I can only bend my knee 80-85 degrees at the moment, because of the pulling and the indent on the inside of my quad muscle, it's painful and stings inside, also on relaxing the knee, it continues to sting for a while afterwards. I don't push it too much when I reach that painful bit, but I do slightly, as I can't see how it will get past how far you've gotten if you don't push past it  a little, if you know what I mean... no pain and no gain and all that!
Well done getting to 120 degrees flexion, seems along way for me to get to that with this tightness and stinging in the quad muscle, but I'm sure I will get there eventually.
Most of my knee is numb, I hope mine is like yours and comes back to a certain degree, its not nice having it totally numb, but thought it was odd that Stans was numb after the first stage. But maybe Stan yours will return before your second stage.
Really am looking forward to a bath, i haven't managed to have a shower, as I haven't got a seat, so its just been a strip wash whilst sitting on the loo seat, but did try a bath twice with my leg out of the bath, but not the same and is very uncomfortable, just want to get my leg in and have a proper one!
Yes I really want to get in the pool, hopefully next week, will find out today, as going to the physio. The gape in my wound is closing nicely now, so fingers crossed.
Keep feeling a bit up and down at the moment, stuck in the house, hope to go out in my wheelchair this weekend. But my leg aches if I leave it down for a length of time, and when I put it down off the settee, it changes to a funny red/purple mottled colour. Looks odd.
Well glad to hear things are going well. I will do a quick post later after I have been to the physio at 15:45pm.
Best Regards
Jules
x
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline JulianUK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2004, 01:27:08 PM »
Hi All,

I've not posted for a while because my computer was broke.

Good to read all your posts and see that you seem to be progressing nicely.

I'm now 4.5 wks down the line with my right leg having had the left done last year, but most of you now that by now. The second has gone far easier as the defect wasn't as big and I didn't need my patella grafting. I can bend to 110 degrees now and have started work in the pool. That's such a good feeling, can't wait to start walking in it in 2 wks when I can partial weight bear.

I've also got numbness above the knee. My PT says it's partly from the harvest site and also the swelling. It took a while to get my quads working because of it.

Changed some exercises at PT this morning, now able to do leg raises with weights in three directions. Helps get the muscles working a bit more.

Just to say that my left leg is holding up well under the increased strees which bodes well for next year.

Hope you all keep progressing well and will catch up with you next week.

Take care,

Jules.
Julian

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2004, 04:15:28 PM »
Hi All.......Friday 26th November 2004. Having a real distressing morning, the indent on the inside of my quad muscle and the stinging I am getting on bending the knee and when using the bike, is getting extremely painful, only managed one and half minutes on the bike and can't bend my knee as far as I was doing. Feel really down, my hands hurt from using the crutches, my bum hurts from sitting on the bike seat, and my left knee (which also has osteoarthritis grade 4) is aching and finding it difficult to get up and down on it!! I'm sure its because I haven't been out and how ristricted I am that's why the slightest thing seems a lot worse, but had a good cry this morning, can't say I feel that much better. I saw the physio yesterday, she says I have a highly sensitive scar and I have stroke it and gently tap it for a minute, ten times a day to try and de-sensitise it. She still says the indent, is due to the quad muscle as needs to be strengthened. I tend to not agree with this, it just doesn't feel right, and its getting worse. I've tried riding through the pain, I've tried resting it, nothing works, it's like 20 bee stings inside the start of the quad muscle and the indent is really tight. I phoned the OS at Oswestry, waiting for him to get back to me, I phone my OS at my local hospital, he's not there and no one can help me, spoke to the on call registrar, who knew nothing about ACI to help me. Have to phone back Monday if get no joy from Oswestry. I'm probably over reacting but I feel there may be an adhesion causing the indent and the pain. Waiting for appointment to start hydrotherapy, hopefully next week, they have put through as urgent. So I will have to wait and see.
Julian, glad to hear your recovery is going well, I too can't wait to go onto partial-weight bearing, got another 3.5 weeks yet.
Well will update as things happen.
Best to all.
Jules.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 04:24:23 PM by Jules »
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR