Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Follow my ACI, start to finish, starts 18/10/04.  (Read 58221 times)

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter what keep smiling!!!
Re: Follow my ACI, start to finish, starts 18/10/0
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2004, 03:39:02 PM »
Hi all,
Its now Sunday 7th November, and I'm due to go into Oswestry tomorrow with my implantation ACI on Tuesday, must say up until now I've felt ok about it, but woke this morning to butterflies in my stomach, so guess I'm a little nervous about this open knee surgery.
Recovered well as I can from the harvest and arthroscopies. Knee is still aching at night and keeping me awake. But hope that will all change soon.
Well I'm expected to stay in up to 7 days but hoping I will be home by Friday afternoon... so wish me luck and I will be keeping a diary all week to relay back to you when I get back home.
Best to all.
Jules
xx
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 03:40:17 PM by Jules »
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Dec 01 - bi-lat mircrofracture & LR
Nov 02 - bi-lat debride & LR
Oct 04 - bi-lat A'scopy & harvest
Nov 04 - R ACI
June 05 - R A'scopy/shave
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline blue_ezzie

• Regular Poster
  • "Cleverness is Good...Patience is Better" - Hesse
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2004, 04:06:56 AM »
Hi Jules,

Best of luck for the op! I'll be thinking of you. When you get through the next week you'll really be able to start focussing on your rehabiliation and full recovery  :)

ezzie

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2004, 07:48:41 PM »
HI all back in the land of the living, I have typed out my diary for the week, had to do it in a few posts as it was too long to put into one, I know its a bit lengthy but I hope it will be of interest to others having/had ACI. Please post any coments or views you may have....... happy reading.....

Monday 8th November 2004, 21;00, Been seen by Professor Richardson, he told me my knees were bald! and on the right knee have a large lesion and a small lesion. They will be repaired with a graft and implantation of the cells tomorrow. I will have to be on the continuous pressure machine (CPM) for 3 days! Maybe home by Saturday if I'm lucky. Also will have to non-weight bearing but not sure how long as yet. Due to go to theatre at 10:30 am. Have managed to get my own room, which was a bonus. Instead of Ted stockings (prevention of deep vein thrombosis (DVT)), they use foot pads (which cover the feet) that every few seconds blow up and place pressure on the bottom of your foot to help the circulation. I will have a total leg block, which will give me total pain relief up to 12-15 hours. Also will have a diamorphine patient controlled analgesia (PCA) for when the block wears off. So PCA pump, feet pads, CPM, fluid drip, I will be well wired for sound!! Nil by mouth from midnight.

Tuesday 9th November 2004, 11:20am, still waiting to go to theatre, been sick this morning, put it down nerves, had no pre-med. I've been sitting in my theatre gown since 09:45am! Finally went to theatre at 11:35am. 15:34pm. Came back from theatre, my right leg and part of my right bum cheek is totally numb. Got the feet pads on my feet to prevent DVT, block is brilliant as a total pain relief. But can't say I really like the feeling of being totally numb. Leg is also bandaged and I have a knee brace on. I have a drain coming from the knee to drain of any blood and serous fluid from around the knee.
18:10, Registrar came to see me, said I had 3 grafts in total, for the three lesions I had, 27mm square'ish behind the patella on the trochlea and two on the femoral articular 25mm square'ish on both lesions, that's a total of 77mm or 7.7cm square, which is a big lesion site in total. I've had one graft from the shine bone for the patella lesion and 2 collagen grafts used for the other two lesions on the joint. Had co-codamol, as I'm very disappointed in not having the PCA I was told I would have. 20:00pm I've had the first of 2 doses of prophylactic IV antibiotics and also had Ibuprofen as having a slight aching in my knee, although the rest of my leg is totally numb. Having to use a bed pan, as not able/allowed out of bed. Feeling a little nauseous too. Eating and drinking ok. Feel tired as not slept well the past two nights, hope to feel better tomorrow and I hope I get some sleep tonight, although I doubt it as have to start CPM machine at 22:00, and the feet pads are slightly irritation and noisy. 23:10 I was put on the CPM machine, set at 0-45degree bend and set at a snails pace for the movement. This is ok; better that my leg staying still. 00:10pm trying to sleep! But the feet pump is keeping me awake don't envisage any sleep tonight. 00:35pm numbness from right bum buttock has gone and I can move my big toe! Hurray!
Read next post to continue reading my diary...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 08:14:59 PM by Jules »
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 07:58:02 PM »
...........Wednesday 10th November 2004, 01:30am getting pins and needles in my right foot can move all my toes and my ankle, feels funny Ha Ha! Getting some mild pain behind the knee. Due for second dose of IV antibiotics and Ibuprofen at 04:30am. 04:00am Came off the bed pan, and 5 minutes later I felt real intense pain in my right knee, not felt anything like it before, I'm crying, tense and pulling at my hair!! Even foot pump making the pain worse, cannot tolerate CPM machine. 04:30am Taken off CPM machine and 4mgs diamorphine injection given. 04:45am extremely bad pain, but not as intense, still can't relax enough to allow me to rest or sleep. 05:00am pain now a heavy dull painful ache, not tense anymore, but still cannot sleep. That was really a tough hour! 05:15am intense pain returning, given 4mgs Ibuprofen. 05:45am Really intolerable intense pain again! I'm crying, tense and pulling at my hair again! 06:10am can't take this anymore! 06:15am Tramadol 100mgs given. THEY SHOULD HAVE GIVEN ME THE DAMN PCA!!! Asked for the doctor to review my pain relief regime. Can't handle this much longer, apart from about 40 minutes slight relief, it's been a horrible distressing 2 hours. Hope this Tramadol works!!! 07:10am 4mgs of diamorphine injection given. 08:30am the pain relief has helped slightly, still not enough to relax me so I can sleep. 08:40am Co-codamol given, diamorphine has worn off now, and I am so tired. Waiting for the doctor to review my pain relief, hopefully my diamorphine dose, as when women have a caesarean section they get 10-15mgs of morphine 2-3 hourly, I got diamorphine 4mgs 3hourly! 12:10pm still no doctor, tried to sleep, pain slightly better, but still not enough to sleep. Had a bed bath and hair washed, feel fresher, pain increased after moving around and another diamorphine injection given. Still feel so tired. Physiotherapist popped into see me, as in too much pain, will return tomorrow, left with information and exercise sheet. 12:20pm foot pumps put back on. 15:20pm seen by doctor, decision made for me to have a diamorphine PCA, it works by me being able to administer 1mg every 4 minutes intravenously if and when I feel I need it. Drain removed, extremely painful, hit the ceiling when it was removed, made me distressed and cry! Dressing also changed, I have dissolvable subcuticular stitches on the shine graft site and 24 staples on the operation site, knee extremely swollen. 16:00pm had 100mgs of Tramadol whilst waiting for PCA. 16:20pm PCA up and running. Hurray!!! Amazing after 3 doses good instant pain relief, I'm fully relaxed and have very little pain. 16:30pm Physio returned and was put back on the CPM machine at 0 - 30 degree bend, which was changed to 0 - 45 degree bend at 19:30pm. Feeling more positive now, although still unable to sleep, but resting and relaxing well.
Overnight, PCA was wonderful, slept for at least 3 hours solid, then heavily dosed for the rest of the night.

Read the post to follow my diary....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 08:01:02 PM by Jules »
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2004, 08:07:09 PM »
........ Thursday 11th November 2004. 07:00am feel a lot better; venflon is sore (needle in my hand) and bleeding, may need re-siting. 07:30am feel really sick, may be due to not eating hardly anything over the past couple of days, so forced myself to eat breakfast, then was physically sick, so had to have yet another injection to stop me from feeling/being sick. Can't use PCA until the doctor checks my venflon, had Ibuprofen. Right knee feels a lot better since using PCA. Knee very swollen, physiotherapist is bringing an ice pack today. Most of the leg block has gone now, still feels numb on the outer side of the knee and edges of the bone graft site. These maybe due to the op and not the block, have been told this could be permanent. Feels hard and hurts to lift the leg, feels very heavy. Hoping to get back on the CPM machine this morning and increase the degree of bend in the knee. 09:15am Venflon re-sited and now back on the CPM machine. 10:30am Professor Richardson came to see me, and told me that I had two collagen grafts and one graft from my shine bone to use for the three lesion areas. He said to go on the exercise bike as soon as possible and when I can tolerate it, and be on it for at least half an hour a day. I have to be non-weight bearing for a solid six weeks and he also wants me to try and lie on my front, if not on my side, to help the grafts take better as they are all in different areas. Also he wants me to go to 0 - 95 degree bend on the CPM machine prior to discharge, preferably whilst I still have the use of the PCA. I'll see what the physiotherapist says today. 11:20am Physiotherapist brought the ice pack, which I used for 20 minutes.
I was now put up to 0 - 50 degree bend on the CPM machine, and that feels fine, I think at this stage I could actually go to 0 - 55/60 degree bend. 15:30pm I asked to come off the feet pump and CPM machine for a while, they said yes, and I tried to sleep but loads of kids screaming and a woman cheering, so couldn't sleep. 17:00pm gave up trying to sleep, so I asked the nurse, and she put me back on the feet pumps and CPM machine, now at 0 - 57 degree bend. Still no problem at this degree. The only thing is that due to the swelling when the CPM machine is on the straight leg, the back of the knee is not quite flat against the leg strap. 17:45pm CPM machine is now up to 0 - 65 degree bend. This feels ok too; just feel very slight aching on my shin where the graft was taken from. 20:00pm have had a new PCA syringe and CPM now put up to 0 - 70 degree bend. 20:30pm Going past 0 - 70 degree bend is going to hard, 70 degree bend is at the point where it seems to be the start of stretching muscle/scars. I will work on increasing it tomorrow and stay at 70 degree bend tonight. 21:30pm changed my mind, now on 0 - 80 degree bend on CPM machine, not painful at all, just slightly stretching. 22:00pm now had a total of 10 hours on the CPM machine. 22:30pm now off the CPM machine.

Keep reading the next post, almost finished....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 08:08:57 PM by Jules »
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2004, 08:12:55 PM »
........ Friday 12th November 2004, 01:30am I can't sleep, these feet pads are so annoying keeping me awake, as I try to drop off to sleep, they will inflated noisily and makes me jump. Overnight, slept for very short periods of time, just wish I could have some solid hours sleep continuously. 08:45am PCA capped off, I will only use it if I need to when on the CPM machine. I feel much better, only had co-codamol and Ibuprofen this morning. I'm not in much pain at all. I feel a bit muggy headed, this is due to all the diamorphine I have had. After a wash 09:15am I got up for the first time since my operation on Tuesday, went to the toilet using my crutches, being non-weight bearing on the right leg, it felt really great to be up and moving around. Going to be changing my dressing today and all is looking good for going home sometime over the weekend I think. Walked to the bathroom where the nursing auxiliary washed my hair. The physiotherapist came to see me again with an ice pack, also she will arrange for me to have a commode as my toilet is down stairs making it difficult to use as night. She will get the occupational therapist (OT) to see how I can manage the stairs. She has explained the exercises I have to do and is happy for me to go home when I am ready. That was it, I want to go home today! Asked to speak to the doctor about me going home. 14:00pm Saw the OT, found it difficult to hop up the stairs on my left leg, due to the osteoarthritis in that knee, I made only three steps and said that I didn't feel safe doing that way, and would go up the stairs on my bottom, had no problem coming down the stairs. She spoke to the physiotherapist, who was happy for me to do the stairs this way. Got given my commode. 14:30pm went back on the CPM machine, straight up to 0 - 95 degree bend (was determined to go home today!). 15:00pm spoke to the nurse, she said she would go to find the Professor and tell him, the physiotherapist was happy to let me home, and that I was at 95 degree bend on the CPM machine and could I go home. 15:25pm YES!! Going home. Dressing changed, also a change of dressing, tablets given and letter for the district nurse to remove my staples on the 14th day post op (23/11/04) and also my sick note for the next four months. I will get an appointment to see Professor Richardson in 8 weeks for a post op review and my local physiotherapist department will phone me to arrange my appointment with them. 16:55pm left Oswestry, on my way home. 18:40pm arrived home, not the most comfortable journey, knee was aching all the way, glad to be home though. Overnight, went to bed at 21:30pm fell asleep not long after that, and woke for the first time at 05:30am, went back to sleep and woke again at about 08:00am, great nights sleep!

Saturday 13th November 2004, 15:20 had a relaxing morning in bed, sleeping, watching TV, doing my exercises, and writing up my diary, been having my pain relief, but the pain is not too bad at all, just a lot of aching. Knee still very swollen and bruising starting to come out, knee feels slightly warm to the touch, but no redness or oozing. 16:00pm got some cooled boiled water and some sterile gauze to clean the wound sites.
The right knee is not sore as such, it aches a lot today, and they is a lot of numbness still especially around the staples and around the patella, I just hope in time this returns, as it has around the graft site.
Finally thats it so far to date. Hope everyone else are well, update things as they happen.
Best regards
Jules
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 08:38:20 PM by Jules »
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2004, 02:09:34 AM »
Hi Jules,
I sat and read your entire post, what an ordeal you are going through! :o.  Sounds like you are improving day by day pretty well though. :D
I was in Gobowen earlier this week to see my OS, and yes, I did think of you, how you were getting on and so on.

Keep improving and stick by your Quacks strict instructions, Im sure you will though!.

Take care,

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft
Nov 07 Thyroid Cancer ops x 2, radiation

Offline QBknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2004, 05:33:33 AM »
Jules,

I know what your are going through, hang in there! I had a similar procedure last year but certainly not as big as your lesions.  Those first few days are the worst after your operation. I wish you could have had the stronger pain killers right away.  I remember I had a morphine pump which I used alot and was on epidural for 3 days post-op.  It's good you are pushing yourself on the CPM.   I had to go back in for a scope 6 weeks after my procedure.  Scar tissue came back with avengance.  I also did not have my cells implanted and most likely will not have to as the graft has filled in nicely.   Hopefully you will get your flexion and extension back quickly without scar tissue and then you will be in great shape.  My graft which was 20mm long, 15 mm wide, 8mm deep in the lat femoral/partial trochlear and one year post-op is doing great.  I was not allowed to do any leg extension, leg press for about 7 or 8 months.  You will see down the line you have to work the weights slowly or the knee will stay very sore.   I recommend getting a TENS unit for muscle stim.  This will help get your VMO/Quads firing and help with ROM.  

Dan  

I wil
5/90 - Microfracture, 11/02 - ACI harvesting scope, 09/03 - Bone graft-Scar Resection -10/27/03 - Manip w scope 2/2/05- Posterior Capsular Release, Anterior Interval Release/staph infection, 3/14/05 wash out scope 12/11/06- Scar resection, lat/med releases

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2004, 04:07:13 PM »
Thanks Heather and Dan for your emails.
Yes certainly has been a tough few days, and I wasn't expecting the severe pain I experienced, but I have moved on now, and I have just a heavy dull aching, obviously it is worse after exercising, but I'm able to straighten my leg fully now, and I can sit on a chair and place my foot flat on the floor, as a normal sitting position. I can also raise my leg now, though not many times in one go, as this is the most painful exercise of them all. I haven't started the bike yet, thought I would give it till next week, build on the exercises I'm doing now, and then hopefully will feel up to going on the bike. Have to do half an hour a day.
Didn't have a very good night, didn't sleep much, so tired and still in a bit of pain today, using ice packs after exercises, which does help.
Dan why didn't they use the cells? Made me think, I hope they have used mine, didn't cross my mind that they wouldn't have used them, but I would have thought that they would have told me, wouldn't they?
Heather hope you got on ok with seeing your OS, have to go back in 8 weeks time, which I will only have been partial weight bearing for two weeks by then.
Something I would like to know from ACI patients, after the second stage, when you went to put your foot with your operation leg, on the floor, did anyone experience pins and needles sensation, I am getting this by just using my toes to balance not bearing any weight, it is worrying me a little. Any advice....
Best regards
Jules  
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline QBknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 04:46:31 PM »
Jules,

My cells were not used because the OS first wanted to fix my subchondral bone.  I knew this going in.  The OS would use the cells down the line if the graft he did started giving me problems.  My defect was pretty deep and a good OS first would want to fix the bone before implating the cells.  I think my defect was small enough to first try and see if the bone graft will fix the problem.  So far the graft has been ok.  I can't recall having pins and needles, but I would think it it should subside in the weeks to come.  I had extreme pain with my IT band and scar tissue coming up into the quad after my procedure.  It looks like your motion is coming back as well as extension.   My case was complicated with Arthrofibrosis so my recovery is taking much longer.  I am just starting regain some quad strength at 14 months.

Dan
5/90 - Microfracture, 11/02 - ACI harvesting scope, 09/03 - Bone graft-Scar Resection -10/27/03 - Manip w scope 2/2/05- Posterior Capsular Release, Anterior Interval Release/staph infection, 3/14/05 wash out scope 12/11/06- Scar resection, lat/med releases

Offline mayme

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2004, 05:56:32 PM »
Jules,

Not to worry about the pins & needles feeling you get when touching your toes to the floor. I just had a paste graft procedure done where I was NWB for four weeks and PWB for two weeks after that. My foot/lower leg felt the exact same way - felt like I had slept on it funny & cut off circulation to it. More than anything, I think this is just from the NWB status. As soon as you start to put weight on the leg again it will go away - for me the pins & needles sensation was totally gone after I was weight-bearing for two days. Best of luck to you, sweetie!

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2004, 10:31:40 PM »
Thanks both for your replies, it has put my mind at rest about the pins and needles.
Dan I too feel that the most of the tightness is above the patella going into the quad muscle, and also the graft under the patella is the most painful when trying to lift the leg. But I am hoping the continuation of exercises will improved this.
Best regards
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2004, 12:11:15 PM »
Hi all,
Thought I would update you in my new findings.
Managing to do my exercises 3 times a day now, doing each exercise 20 times. Knee aches quite badly at the end of the day. Cannot hop around, because the impact hurts the patella graft site. So have to make sure I use the crutches to move around.
Noticed last night that I could only bend my knee so far, thought it was the tight dressing that was stopping me bending it further, so took off dressing to change it, and bent my knee whilst dressing was off, and found that above the knee on the inside of my quad muscle, there was an intent when the knee was bent, looks like something is attached on the inside to the skin and is pulling it in when I bend my knee, and is stopping me bending my knee any further, it feels very tight. I will have to wait to see what the physio says, still waiting for an appointment though, will phone them today.
I just hope that there is not major problem. Knee reducing in size every day, as still using the ice packs, which is good.
Hope everyone is fine.
Best regards
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2004, 02:43:27 PM »
Hi all,
After phoning the physio dept yesterday, I went to see them today, said they couldn't do much more than I was doing already with my exercises, till I am weight bearing, but the good news is that they are starting me on hydrotherapy, not next week but the week after, after I have had my staples removed. I have a lot of waste in my VMO, and there needs alot of building up in that area. So I will work on that at the moment. Exercises over the past couple of days has been hard and painful.
She also said that the indent by my quad muscle is down to the wastage of the muscle and should be ok once its built up again.
so all in all slow progress but getting there.
Keep you informed.
Best regards
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

brattkids2

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2004, 09:50:35 PM »
Jules,

hope you are getting better day by day. Before you know it you will be able to weight bear again. Thoughts and prayers are with you!!!!

Keep up the great job on exercizes for recovery.

Paulette

support