Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Follow my ACI, start to finish, starts 18/10/04.  (Read 58220 times)

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter what keep smiling!!!
Follow my ACI, start to finish, starts 18/10/04.
« on: October 15, 2004, 09:22:44 PM »
Hi to all those about to have ACI and those who have already been through it, thought I might lead you through my experiences through the ACI treaments/rehabilitation and how things work out for me.
So I start with my date of admission to Oswestry is going to be on the 18th October at 2pm (three days from now... yikes!) for my first stage ACI, the harvesting of the cells..... wish me luck and watch this space.....
Jules.
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Dec 01 - bi-lat mircrofracture & LR
Nov 02 - bi-lat debride & LR
Oct 04 - bi-lat A'scopy & harvest
Nov 04 - R ACI
June 05 - R A'scopy/shave
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Stan Greenwood

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Follow my ACI, start to finish, starts 18/10/0
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 08:00:47 PM »
Hi Jules

Hope your scope went ok?
I went to the pre-op assesment yesterday myself as I'm booked in for the first stage on 17th November in Basingstoke.
Who's your surgeon? I've got a guy called Neil Thomas, who is supposed to be one of the best Knee surgeons in the country. So I hope you get someone as good.

Let me know how your getting on.

Stan.
4 arthoscopy's, De-bridlement, Laterel release, Awaiting Autologous Chondrocyte Transplant

brattkids2

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 09:58:36 PM »
Hope your proceedure went well. Please keep us posted. If I find out the OATS has failed this proceedure is next. Would love to know how it goes.
thank you
Paulette :)

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 02:36:41 PM »
Hi all,
Well back in the land of the living. Got back from oswestry yesturday (wed). All went well.
On admission I had to have 16 tubes of blood taken, this is to help the growth process of the cells harvested. Took them 3 attempts, but it was fine.
Went down to theatre at 10:45am, was 2nd on the theatre list. Was back on the ward by midday.
I had bi-lateral arthroscopies and harvesting from the right knee.
I was up and tottering about after 2 hours post op. Was very sore and right knee was stiff, but nothing too unbearable.
On discharge yesturday, spoke to the docs, said that my patellas didn't need realigning which was good news, but that the patellas were definately bone rubbing on bone, and that my leisions were large, but didn't give me a measurement. Also meantioned total knee replacements, but due to me being only 38 years old it wasn't an option at this stage, therefore ACI was my only chance of improvement at this point.
In my research I have found that the larger the lesion the less chance of a full improved success, but I am hoping even if its not fully successful, there will be a dramatic improvement in my reduction in pain and mobility, anything is better than nothing as I am at the moment.... so fingers crossed.
My left knee this morning (Thurs) post arthroscopy is not painfull at all, but is a little squiggy due to the fluid, but that will reabsorb in time.... though it sounds awful when I walk!
The right knee post arthroscopy and harvest is still very sore and stiff, and woke up 4 times in the night with the aching, but again nothing too unbearable. It is very swollen, but I am using ice packs and anti-inflammatories to help this. I have been given light exercises to do, which is easy on the left leg, but a little harder on the right.
I can bend and straighten the left leg ok, but the right one is not quite there, but with the exercises I invisage to be able to do it within a week.
I am also keeping a full journal and pics of my process in the hope it will help others when they are waiting for this op, as I have heard good and bad stories but thought it would be good to actually see and read the facts as they happen.
Well I am due to go back into oswestry on the 8th November, with the second op on the 9th November, where I will be in hospital for about 5 days.
But I will keep you informed as to my progress, in the next few days.
Stan, my surgeon is Professor Richardson, who is also named to be a very good surgeon, keep me informed of your progress as I am very interested in comparing notes. And I will be 8 days post second op when you go in.
Paulette, thanks for your email, let me know how you are getting on.
Best regards
Jules
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 02:41:16 PM by Jules »
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Stan Greenwood

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 04:36:06 PM »
Jules,

Isn't this site fantastic!!

I look forward to hearing how you get on, and what to expect ect.

How will we see the pics?

Stan
4 arthoscopy's, De-bridlement, Laterel release, Awaiting Autologous Chondrocyte Transplant

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 08:58:16 PM »
Hi Stan,
I'm looking into putting it on a web site, so anyone can access the journal. Its very much in lay terms, so that people can see and understand it at basic level. Let you know once it is set up.
Best regards
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline blue_ezzie

• Regular Poster
  • "Cleverness is Good...Patience is Better" - Hesse
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 10:22:57 AM »
Hi Jules,

Good to hear that the harvesting seems to have gone well for you. Best of luck for the next little while. It's a nerve-racking time between the two ops! Keep the muscle building exercises up though, I really wish that I had worked harder before the 2nd op - maybe my left leg wouldn't still be so skinny if I had!

I'll be really interested in seeing your website, let us know when it's up and running!

ezzie

Offline JulianUK

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 12:55:05 PM »
Jules,

Glad to hear the first stage has gone well and they are proceeding.

I've got pics of my left leg that was done last year, pre and post op. So if anyone wants to see them, just send me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll send them to you.

I'm in on Tuesday 26/10/04 for the second stage of my right leg. Not looking forward to is, but having been there once I know it can work.

Just remember folks that Rome wasn't built in a day. This takes time and patience, but the tortoise will win this race everytime.

take care and will keep in touch,

Jules.
Julian

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 02:49:20 PM »
Hi all,
Will try and get the web page set up today, never done it before so may take me a few days.
Ezzie, I am not so worried about the second op now, as when I was in there was a young girl who had harvest from her knee and was in there for her second op to implant into her ankle, and she said the pain was not as bad as she thought it would be. She was getting around really well post second op.
Julian, what part are you not looking forward to? I know its slow and I know its my first time, but I just hold onto the thought of it making some kind of difference, and what I have to go through doesn't matter if it works. I think you need to think positive about a lengthy process like this, or else it would get you down a great deal..... but thats me saying when I don't really know isn't it?
Let me know how you get on, because as your coming home I will be going in... 9th November, if the cells take that is.
Well didn't sleep to well again last night, woke up after a heavy sleep and I think I hadn't moved my leg for a couple of hours, it was so stiff and aching, this is one of the things I'm hoping will go when the ACI is complete.
Tottering about ok, knee still swollen, after doing excersises twice yesterday, found I couldn't do them so well the third time. But will keep with it.
Best regards
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 04:12:18 PM »
HI,
Just spent an hour and a half looking for setting up a web site, and due to the complexity and the cost, I will not be posting my journal this way, which is a shame, but if you would like to see pics, then send me your email by private message and I will send them to you.
But if any one knows how I get a web site set up easily and free, please let me know, as I think my journal would benefit others awaiting ACI.
Best regards
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 07:29:34 PM »
Hi All,
Went out and about today, managing with one crutch just to steady myself, don't need it in the house.
But found that i wasn't over the arthroscopy and harvesting as I felt I was, just a simple task as getting off the loo, as I put weight on my right leg to stand, I had an horrific pain above the patella, it seems to be in the muscle, but I think it is where the scope was placed to get the harvest, maybe it is scar tissue, but it felt very tight, when trying to stand, full weight bearing, brought tears to my eyes, but has made me more determined to correct it prior to the second stage taking place. Just proves that although we may think we are more recovered than we think we are, must remember this during the rehabilitation from the second op.
Best regards
Jules.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 05:53:29 PM by Jules »
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 06:06:05 PM »
Hi All,
Just to up date you, found out today that the havesting of the cells have taken, and it's all going to plan for the implantation on the 9th November (Tuesday). Have to go into Oswestry the day before and will be in till Friday. Will have to be on the CPM for 36-48 hours post op, and looking at 3-6 weeks non weight bearing, and maybe being fitted with a brace.
Still having a few problems with the right knee since harvesting, it just feels like a continuous bad day with my knee to what I was experiencing before. having a lot of pain under the patella and around the harvest site (muscle or scar tissue).
Hope all is well with you all. Will post just before I go in on Monday.
Best regards
Jules
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 05:40:16 PM by Jules »
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

brattkids2

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 06:25:29 PM »
hope all goes well thoughts and prayers are with you!!!!

keep us posted

Paulette

Offline QBknee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 04:25:33 AM »
Good luck with the second phase of the ACI procedure.  I made a bad decision going with my OS who was inexperienced with the ACI procedure.  I had the cartilage harvested but after this "simple" arthroscopic procedure, my knee went to hell.  I developed severe scar tisssue/arthrofibrosis just from the harvesting procedure.  It didnt help I had to go on a business trip exactly one week after the harvesting procedure, but after returning my knee got worse.    10 months later I finally got to the right OS who pinpointed my problems and operated to fix the defect and remove the scar tissue.  

Today, I have had two operations since the carticel harvesting and ended up having a similar procedure to the ACI implant except without the cells being injected.  I had an open incision bone graft with the plug taken from the top of my tibia.  For those that have defects deep with subchondral bone showing, it is recommended to have this done prior to having the cells implanted.  Currently the bone graft has worked just fine and I will not need the cells implanted.  My scar tissue was also removed, but is still within my knee and I am looking at another scar tissue procedure early next year.  

I am just starting to regain some quad strength and re-developing my VMO area.  I would be further along but the scar tissue really restricts your rehab.  Good luck and be sure to use the CPM and have an experienced PT work with you post op.
5/90 - Microfracture, 11/02 - ACI harvesting scope, 09/03 - Bone graft-Scar Resection -10/27/03 - Manip w scope 2/2/05- Posterior Capsular Release, Anterior Interval Release/staph infection, 3/14/05 wash out scope 12/11/06- Scar resection, lat/med releases

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 05:39:32 PM »
Thanks paulette and QBKnee for your best wishes, I will keep you informed of my experience and progress.
QBKnee, I'm sorry to hear you have had a lot of bad experiences with your surgery, I know that due to the large lesion and where it is, there is a reduction in the success rate, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I too have some problems with scar tissure, not as extensive as yours though, I have found that regular massaging the scar tissue that you can feel, does break it down a little, and makes mobility improve quicker, though it is painful to do this, it has improved and reduced the pain slightly I was feeling around the harvest site, but I appreciate everyone is different and heals differently.
But I hope you continue to improve and hope you don't have a repeat experience like your last one when you have your next op next year.
Best regards
Jules
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Nov 04 - R ACI
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR