Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: anyone with a ORIF ?  (Read 831 times)

Offline jenjen212

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
anyone with a ORIF ?
« on: October 12, 2004, 08:31:37 AM »
hello, i am new here, so  i am not sure as to which section to post this under.  but i have a question for you guys...

about 4 years ago, i was in a horrible car accident in which i had bilateral fractures of my pelvis, including multiple fractures to my left acetabulum, a left femeral fracture w/ an IM rod placement, and a left shattered tibia plateau, torn acl, torn miniscus - with an ORIF to the knee...

i had a very long and drawn out recovery process.  Thank God that  i am okay and still able to walk though!  :)   The problem is that recently i have been experiancing much pain at the insertion site of the femeral IM rod.  I know that i will probably have to have this removed though.

has anyone ever had to have an IM femeral rod removed?   ???  how was your recovery and experiences?

thank you for any help that you guys can provide!!  

jen

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
Re: anyone with a ORIF ?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 01:18:26 AM »
Hi and welcome ;)

I think you have more chance of people answering in the Bone breaks section.  

I work as a nurse (ortho) and we often deal with people with femur# who have and IMR (UFN nail) inserted. Patients always come back to have the rod removed, most of them have problems with pain or don't have full ROM in the knee bacause the inserted screws keep them from bending.

Our OS do this as an inpatients srgery and it often is very bloody post-op. This is normal as it's an IM rod!!!! Don't worry too much. You should be expecting to be NWB for a week or so, but I can't tell you much more as I really don't have a clue about further post-op instructions.

Good luck!!!
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation