Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Red Heads and Loose Limbs  (Read 10044 times)

Offline Anguine

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Red Heads and Loose Limbs
« on: October 10, 2004, 02:01:56 PM »
Hi,  I just got back from my orthopaedic surgeon and he said that natural red heads tend to be loose limbed. Just wondering if anyone else fits this profile? (The local acupuncturist and local yoga teacher concurred.)

What I have been able to pick up from the web that might be relevant to this issue is "those with red hair have less collagen in both their bones and skin ". And: "Uterine prolapse appears to be a collagen related problem that often runs in families and is more common in fair-skinned individuals, especially redheads ."

Plus, (...more good news-heh) red heads are at greater risk for endometriosis (besides skin cancer). Also, they require more general anesthetic (desflurane) and yet, conversley, females are more sensitive to pentazocine anesthesia.

I noticed in some of the posts that OddBods also had multiple allergies, which is another red head tendency.

Offline Heather_K.

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Red Heads and Loose Limbs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 08:25:37 PM »
Hey,
  I just wanted to let you know, I am a natural red head and my limbs are definatly loose. I have had a total of 17 surgeries, 8 on my right knee, which include LR and TTT, medial reefing, VMO advancement and MPFL reconstructions, plus severeal would debridements and cliosures.  The left knee is a TTT, LR, and then MPFL reconstruction and 2 wound closures. My left ankle has been reconstructed, but then there was an accident and I developed a lot of scar tissue and a trapped sural nerve, not fun!! My other ankle is still in process of trying to find a doctor who will fix it, but my shoulder has actually dislocated also.  I just wanted to share with you that you are not the only redhead out there with loose joints.
Good Luck,
Heather K.
rt: lateral. release, chondroplasty, TTT+ LR, MPFL recon.+scar tissue removed Left: TTT+LR, revision with new screws + 8 ankle surgeries =Total of 30 surgeries, MRSA infect. with muscle/skin graft surgery. Surgeries 10 RT knee, 12 LefT knee, 8 Left ankle. message/email me for info/advice on TTT's. .

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 04:06:33 PM »
Hey, thats a really cool fact. I've never heard that before though..its really interesting. I have three friends with red hair and none of them has even sprained a finger lol. Perhaps they are just the luckier bunch. I'm a brunette and I have horribly loose joints. My OS said he'd never seen anyone of any age throughout his 33 years of being an OS with such loose joints. I can crack any joint in my body they are so loose. But he also told me that they don't have any evidence of this yet, but it is thought people with loose joints tend to be better athletes because they are more agile and flexible. Who knows though lol!
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline three_screws

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 03:30:46 PM »
Hey there guys, that's really interesting about red heads, i have never heard of that. and Smiley, hehe know what it's like to be able to crack all the joints, i can do some pretty good party tricks :P! What you said about being a good athelete though that is interesting as well, i have always been pretty reasonable at sport, like i am able to pick sports up pretty easily and be relatively competant at them. Mind you i would never make a state team or anything :P I guess hypermobility would make you more agile. Mind you lately i haven't played sport for ages and i seem to be more cautious about how hard i go for it now, after i dislocated my knee and had some cartilage removed i have always been worried it will happen again! You're probably the same now?!
Bilateral Hip Dysplasia
Closed reduction on hip '85'
Salters Osteotomy on hip '87',
Osgood Schlatters 1996,
Several subluxes- right knee, meninscal cyst 1998,
Full patella dislocation left knee/cracked knee cap,
Arthroscopy on knee *2 '02', '04',
Full Hip Recon (PAO) Jan '05'

Offline gymchick

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 01:39:09 PM »
My 11 year old is a red head and is very loose jointed.  We were at the hospital 2 weeks ago re a knee injury and the ortho guy was doing the tests on her, you know the thumb back onto the wrist, the bend with flat hands on floor etc, she does them all!!!  It really is useful as shes a rhythmic gymnast, but out of the gym it causes problems.  One ortho surgeon said when she was six and being seen for knee pain "she shouldnt have any problems until her teens"!
I didnt ask what he meant as i was too shocked at his attitude.
Gymchick

Offline Heavy_Harry

• Regular Poster
  • When I stuff a knee up, I sometimes stuff it good
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2005, 03:54:16 AM »
Hello there,

I am  wondering  if wallking late can encourage us to have loose joints? I am not a red head but I am blunnet I didn't start walking until very late, say about 6 yrs old I started to walk. I wonder if that has effected my muscle and ligment development as I got injuries on both legs

My right ankle had stablity problems due spraining it and it was reinjuring at a rate of 3 days a week before I re-do the injury again. Now as for my right it is in a AFO. {Ankle,foot Othotic] and I have to wear it whenever I am on the move, a sport injury nearly fit enough for majory reconstruction surgery, I refused as they couldn't garrentee if my ankle would be better after cutting the ligments in ankle and sewing togeather again to make it tighter around the ankle.

My left knee has ligment and muscle problems I had to wear a brace for it as I tore it while chasing after a bus and I heard a "pop" and thought "Oh oh....I think I did something to it. Now I seen several specailist, and othopedic profession about it. I tried Physio but it made it worse, now I am rocking around with spllit on one leg and knee brace on the other!!

No matter how much I excercise I can't seem to get it any stronger. The muscle get strong but on exertion I sometime tear up my joints due to intensity of training, weights and cardio! I still do my sport despite this but legs are still as weak as I started when I was 18yrs now I am near late 20's but it hasn't detoriated any further thankfully. But the loose joints dislocating ankle and knee is a issue.

Flinch

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 03:37:52 AM »
Hi all

I'm new to the board having wandered in while researching upcoming procedures. Having been discharged after gynae procedures last week and scheduled for knee surgery next week, I wonder if there's any research info. about red-heads/loose limbs/prolapse/hypermobility. 

Christina  :)

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Love me love my knees!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 12:08:12 AM »
Go to pubmed.com and search to your hearts content, or google free medical journals and u have aload of resources u can sieve through at ur finger tips!

Hmmm....not I guess a true red head, but I have brown hair with alot of red init.......does that count? and wrists actually kill today..........but I decided typing was a little like PT!

Bridge
xxxx
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Shallow trochlear groove, Patella Alta & tight ITB dx '03
Right Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope 2004
Left Modified Galeazzi, LR  2005
Redo Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope and medial reefing 2007
Right redislocation 2014

Offline willowsmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 10:28:27 PM »
Now that is most interesting!  My maternal grandfather, a Russian Jewish immigrant to the United States in the early years of the last century, was a redhead (until his hair turned white) with blue eyes and an upturned nose...probably made a lot of people think he was Irish...I never met his mother but my aunt remembers her as having vivid blue eyes, and I have a photo taken of her in a studio in their home town, Petrikov, in what is today Belarus, probably around 1890 or 1895, and I suspect from the tones in the picture that she also had red or reddish/brown hair, which a number of the women in my family have or had, including me.  My grandfather died in the late 1980's but he could wiggle his ears, which got a laugh out of everyone!  Two of my aunt's three sons have daughters--yup, redheads, though one of them discovered that her hair turned brown after her son was born--my aunt had auburn hair until long after it went naturally gray, and I had red hair as a young child.  Later it was brown with a lot of red and gold in it.  Now it's turning light again...but not red!  I can't wiggle my ears but I am hypermobile...and when people see the old photo of my great-grandmother they think it's a picture of me in a costume, which I take as a compliment.

I have a "party trick" similar in ridiculousness to wiggling the ears: I can touch the tip of my nose with my tongue, though it's not a really good idea because it bothers my TMJ and it looks disgusting.  I'm only thinking about that because it's winter here in Philadelphia, and sometimes, when I'm outdoors, I realize that I should have brought Kleenex along.

Barbara

Offline sclark5

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2006, 06:07:33 AM »
I have naturally red hair and have always had loose limbs.  I have had between 12 and 15 surgeries on my knees, ankles and feet.  Thye bones are not held securly in place.  Last week I had a TKR.  I delayed having it done for a long time because I wasn't sure that  my connective tissue could provide stability to the new joint.  Of course my doctor is very pleased with the range of motion and flexibility of the new joint.  But I'm not so sure that the new joint will provide the stability I will need.  Has anyone hadf experience with this sort of thing?
Susan

Offline Yogagimp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 03:27:00 AM »
Hey, I'm a labor & delivery nurse and it is known that if you have a red head in labor you'd better be prepared for a postpartum bleed after delivery as they have a tendency to bleed as well....more good news for you!
R ACL patellar tendon recon '84; L ACL patellar tendon recon '89; L meniscal debridement '91; new R posterior horm complex meniscal tear; bilateral osteoarthritis; awaiting possible meniscal fun

Offline minty

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 07:40:43 AM »
hmmm always wondered why i felt the need to dye my hair pillerbox red - obviously a solidarity move for the other over flexies out there :)

support