Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: NEWBIE LOOKING FOR ADVICE  (Read 880 times)

Offline julie-b

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
NEWBIE LOOKING FOR ADVICE
« on: October 10, 2004, 01:32:44 AM »
Hi everyone.  I am posting on behalf of my mum as due to computer problems she is unable to do so herself :(

She is in a lot of pain at the moment and any advice/suggestions you could offer her would be gratefully received.  

She had knee replacements in both of her knees about 4 years ago.  Since then they have been more or less trouble free.  For the last 4 months she has been experiencing pain in varying degrees of severity.  It reaches a peak during the night.  The medication she is taking is vioxx 25mg (once a day) and dihydrocodeine 30mg (3 x day).  If she takes that and doesn't drive, doesn't go upstairs, doesn't walk too much or bend down and only does very light work then it does keep it under control and to an occasional ache.  When she does anything it triggers it off.  As I said the pain is worst at night, she ends up having to stand or perch on the edge of the chair arm as if she is sitting or lying down it is unbearable.  These episodes tend to go on for days (and nights) at a time.  

The area affected varies but is mainly located in the knee and calf but can go from the hip to the toes.  

She has seen her surgeon who took x-rays.  He said the replacements and the veins are fine and the general consensus is that it is compartment syndrome.  She is waiting for a further appointment with the surgeon who has mentioned the possibility of a release operation.  She has also been referred to the bio mechanic podiatrist re in-sole support.

If anyone could give her any information on the release operation that the surgeon has mentioned that would be great as she feels unsure about what is the best course of action and doesn't know anything about this surgery.  Also if anyone has been through a similar experience, are there any tips they could give her that could improve her situation - particularly in relation to the pain?  I have read people mentioning neem oil to help with the pain - would you recommend she try that as an alternative to traditional medication?  If so, can you recommend a UK website where we could order it from?

Many thanks in advance for your help  :)
julie-b

Offline julie-b

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: NEWBIE LOOKING FOR ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 01:26:45 PM »
if anyone could recommend any links where I could get any information it would be greatly appreciated  ;D

julie-b

support