Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: patella removal....anyone had it done?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline theartsinpain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
patella removal....anyone had it done?
« on: October 08, 2004, 04:44:33 PM »
My OS said yesterday that I need my patella removed due to a huge tumor in it. I have had a long running battle with gout...this hasn't helped the knee at all..... He also said that they can't bone graph  it due to the size of the tumor ( he also doesn't want to replace it with anything.......has anyone out there had a patella removed.. I could use some ingsight... THANKS!

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: patella removal....anyone had it done?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 03:30:34 AM »
I don't have any patellas. However, mine just dislocated all the time and after failed surgeries they were removed. They would not do that today. (bilateral patellectomy 23 years ago). I haven't had anything there, can't kneel, run, jump, and am now a chronic painer. According to Dr. G on this site, being patellaless alone would not cause extreme pain. I'm thinking I have other issues going on inside my knees.  Anyway, with a tumor, I wouldn't even know what to think. Can they not just remove the tumor? Is there a malignancy concern? If you're young, please get a 2nd opinion. Even if you're older. You will lose probably 60-80% of your quad strength in that leg. I can tell you from experience that's true. You'll also have a hard time with extension. I had 19 yrs of relatively tolerable pain. The last 3 years have been brutal. It's possible to live without you patellas. But there are consequences.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline theartsinpain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: patella removal....anyone had it done?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 06:33:27 AM »
I really appreciate all the helpful insights.... Maxfactor..ouch...it seems as though you've had too many invasions on your knees...what about the scar tissue in your knees?....build up......etc.. were your surgeries from the patellectomy... or from complications of it.   I may have to hit Mayo with this one.....I know that there are alot of horror stories out there about the patellectomy...but I would sure like to know if there are ANY....Any happy endings out there...?

Offline theartsinpain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
anyone had any complications with gout and knee pr
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 06:36:44 AM »
Has anyone out there had problems with gout and knee surgeries..I have had gout for ten years..I am 35..and have had my knees drained countless times... I know for a fact that there has to be some damage done to the knees when they drain them...anyone out there have any knowledge in this area..
Thanks so much!

support