Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Urgent advice needed  (Read 2289 times)

Offline wimple

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Urgent advice needed
« on: October 07, 2004, 08:13:33 PM »
I've fallen again this afternoon, spent the whole afternoon in A & E and have been told that they suspect a tibea plateau fracture? But, because its not showing up on the x ray they can't treat it as one and I've been sent home and told to take it easy for a few days and use the crutches I've had all along. HELP, I really need advice as to what to do...

Offline wimple

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Urgent advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 10:40:34 PM »
PLEASE.. Someone must have an idea of what I should do..

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 10:41:10 PM »
Dear Wimple:

This is bad!  Can you get your orthopedist to send you for an MRI to get a more definitive diagnosis?  If you do, indeed, have a fracture, then it needs to be taken care of more specifically than just "take it easy and use crutches."  I don't recall whether you had a TTT or have any hardware in your tibia.  If you do, then they won't do an MRI and it wouldn't be useful anyway because they can't get a good picture around all the metal anyway.  But if you don't have any hardware, then I would STRONGLY suggest you get a more reliable diagnostic film AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!  Otherwise, if you have a fracture and it heals "wrong," they may have to surgically fracture it later and re-set it with hardware...and I'm guessing you'd prefer not to do that if you don't have to!

Please let us know what happens...I'll be sending prayers your way!

Hugs!

Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 10:42:24 PM »
Dear Wimple:

This is bad!  Can you get your orthopedist to send you for an MRI to get a more definitive diagnosis?  If you do, indeed, have a fracture, then it needs to be taken care of more specifically than just "take it easy and use crutches."  I don't recall whether you had a TTT or have any hardware in your tibia.  If you do, then they won't do an MRI and it wouldn't be useful anyway because they can't get a good picture around all the metal anyway.  But if you don't have any hardware, then I would STRONGLY suggest you get a more reliable diagnostic film AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!  If nothing else, perhaps they can get a better view on a standard x-ray that might show the fracture.  Otherwise, if you have a fracture and it heals "wrong," they may have to surgically fracture it later and re-set it with hardware...and I'm guessing you'd prefer not to do that if you don't have to!

Please let us know what happens...I'll be sending prayers your way!

Hugs!

Holly[/quote]
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 10:43:03 PM by Holly »
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline wimple

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 10:44:40 PM »
Holly - my previous injury was just ligament tear grade 1 and then plica removal in July, I'm really worried about this, have a feeling I'll be back at the A&E tomorrow

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 11:34:30 PM »
Hey...I'm not kidding...you NEED TO GET SOME KIND OF DIAGNOSTIC X-RAY!  I read your post that your parents are at your house to watch your son.  So, while you've got some babysitting (I guess your husband is still being a louse!) PLEASE either get to your OS or go back to A&E and get an MRI or another view with a standard x-ray.  You have to be sure about this possible fracture, O.K.?  It's not enough for them to say they "think" it might be a fracture.

Please let me know what happens.

Hugs!

Holly

Offline cgski

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 01:16:42 AM »
Louise, Holly is right. But perhaps she forgot what the NHS can be like. Motto - "take it slowly".  Perhaps it would be worth laying down on the floor in A&E tomorrow and howling....C

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 03:04:05 AM »
Holly

Unfortunately the NHS do not do MRI scans as and when required!!X-Rays no problemo....MRI scans...big wait  :o (eg/ 3 mths plus for cancer quite often  :o   )

Wimple......I suggest (if you really feel your knee is bad) that you go back to the A & E and DEMAND to be seen again....although I know this does not go down well and takes soem real desperation/guts on the part of the patient.
Failing that...if you can afford to.....get a private consult + MRI ASAP...........

Hope it works out for you...

ps/cgski......glad your cruciate is ok!! after all that that  :o     ..........who was your consultant again (remind me not to see him!!)...Just joking!
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 03:39:14 AM »
FOR SOME REASON, fractures do not warrant much attention in an ER unless they are open, and the bone is sticking through the skin. My broken ankle that required surgical pinning, was wrapped, and I was sent home to make an appt. the next week with an OS> MY knee fracture was not treated for over 3 months. The feeling is usually that if the patient keep it elevated, and iced, and keeps weight off it, the swelling will subside, and then the doc can look at it, and decide what to do. I know it sounds awful, but is the general rule,unfortunately Teresa The come back if necessary thing just covers their bottoms. T
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 04:28:52 AM »
I don't understand how just wrapping it and staying off it if it's truly a fracture "covers their bottoms" in any way?!?  If the thing heals wrong and subsequently needs to be surgically broken and re-set, doesn't that constitute malpractice or negligence or something?  Jeepers, I'd be pretty mad if something as simple as an MRI or another x-ray view would result in a clear diagnosis and they JUST WOULDN'T DO IT!  Don't know what it would cost to have it done privately, Wimple, but if the swelling and pain don't subside...or if you begin to experience severe spasms at all (a pretty sure sign of a fracture!), then I'd hie me to an MRI facility and get one done.  Trust me...a surgical break is NO FUN AT ALL!  Neither is a leg full of hardware!  (Although showing your x-rays at parties and at work can be very entertaining... he-he-he!).

Anyway, dear, please be very careful and be aware of any ongoing symptoms.  HOPEFULLY this is not a fracture.  But if you experience continued swelling, discoloration, intermittent severe spasms...well, you know what I think you should do.

Please let us know how you make out.  I'm awfully worried about you!

Hugs!

Holly

Offline wimple

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 05:23:44 PM »
Hi,
Sat down A & E for another 3 hours today - Andrew, you are sooo right that they couldn't give a s***, they haven't rexrayed, let alone asked for an MRI - it appears I am now the responsibility of my physio to 'monitor' (who I completely by chance have an appointment with on Monday) The doctor I saw today was the same one who misdiagnosed me 18months ago!!!!!!! HELP! Basically he reckons that my knee is 'bruised' and I might have damaged one of the 'small structures' in my knee - ie the fat pad, which is his theory as to why my knee is now going clunk with every movement rather than an occassional click and also his theory as to why I can't bear weight on it at all. Yep, I've been told to ice it, no support/brace at all and they've sent me on my way, presumably it is now the problem of the OS who I still haven't seen post op :'(
So, all I can hope is that I'm not now going to be looking at another 18 months to get this sorted, perhaps I should just camp on their doorstep. Afraid to say that I can't afford a private consultation/MRI, husband is the one with all the money and he won't pay for it. Thanks for your support, will update on this situation on Monday or sooner if I end up in A & E again!