Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: five weeks post op fulkerson  (Read 1025 times)

Offline kamaralynn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • knees are such a bother
five weeks post op fulkerson
« on: October 06, 2004, 08:40:33 AM »
Hi! just had my 2nd knee surgery on right knee.
My first was  a l r and was not done properly.
its 15 years later now and i was told by one dr that my knee was a total loss. I found a dr that said he could fix it and so he did a ttt? . I am glad that he could fix it and i am hopeful. My question is, how long before you can walk w/o crutches, and does anyone know if its normal for your knee to swell like crazy after pt? Had my first today and i feel terrible now. my dr has me using standart tylenol but this feels like it needs more.
I guess im kinda inpatient right now and want to get on with life, but I dont want to mess up anything so im being good :) also, the first two weeks after were the most painful,the polar care ice chest was awesome!
years of dislocations, lat release 1990,bone chip removal 1990, fulkerson,patella debrasion,and lat release sep,2004 all on the right knee :)

Offline Cathy L

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • acl '94, meniscal tear '99, fulkerson/micro fx '04
    • Hope For Marrow
Re: five weeks post op fulkerson
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 11:15:29 PM »
I am 12 weeks post op fulkerson and I still have swelling.  I was on crutches 8 weeks and extreme swelling for about 6-8 weeks.  PT told me today that patience (which I have none) is the name of the game and it's better to go slow.  I am still using ice every day.  I started using ice and heat at about 5-6 weeks.  The ice feels real good after heat. cal
acl '94, meniscal tear '99 & '03, fulkerson/microfx '04

Offline kamaralynn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • knees are such a bother
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 03:49:59 AM »
Hi Cathy!
Thanks for the feedback!
I think I still have a ways to go then! Its good to know tht someone else is doing this to!
My Dr,
. told me that next week i can wean off the crutches, that will make it my 6 week mark. I am out of the stabelizer, and wearing a breg brace. I also ice but mostly at night it helps with the pain alot. I hvent tried heat... Ithink that i will try that too!  thanks so much, keep me posted on your knee. How did you injure it?
The straw that broke the camels back for me was running down my stairs in May and dislocating it and then a repeat proformance the first week of July. This time i damaged my miniscus(?) fun fun fun ::) You would think id learn to slow down.......
years of dislocations, lat release 1990,bone chip removal 1990, fulkerson,patella debrasion,and lat release sep,2004 all on the right knee :)

Offline Cathy L

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • acl '94, meniscal tear '99, fulkerson/micro fx '04
    • Hope For Marrow
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 03:54:40 PM »
I had ACL replacement 10 years ago that was very successful.  Then 3 yrs ago, a car hit me head on while I was riding my bicycle.  My knee has been messed up since that.  My kneecap was 40% out of alignment, tearing the cartilage.  Then about 6 months ago, the knee locked up while going down stairs, I fell and tore my rotator cuff.  That's when I decided I needed to get the knee fixed.  I was only in a stabilizer for 10 days post op.  Then they put me in a full-flex neoprene brace.  Good luck. cathy
acl '94, meniscal tear '99 & '03, fulkerson/microfx '04