Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Question about "the good knee" following  (Read 896 times)

Offline monstercookies

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Let a *smile* be your umbrella! =)
Question about "the good knee" following
« on: October 06, 2004, 09:43:35 PM »
This isn't necessarily a post-op question, I don't think. Forgive me if I post in the wrong place.

I'm 7 days post-op...and yesterday, I started noticing that my GOOD knee is now "popping" when going up and down stairs.

Is there a lot of history with people having their good knees go bad after a surgery, during recovery?

Hopefully, I'm just being paranoid. But it's straining, and hurting.

Thanks,
Kris
Left knee lateral release
patellar debridement
medial miniscectomy
9/29/04

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Question about "the good knee" follo
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 09:50:54 PM »
I don't know if there's a lot of history but sometimes I think my surgeries failed because of the stress I would put on the non-casted leg. I hopped a lot too. After all my major surgeries the "good" patella dislocated before I ever got the cast off the other leg. I think there is a definite correlation because you put more stress on the "good" parts of you body. Just my humble opinion.
My surgeries may have very well failed even I didn't put stress on the other leg. They were all about 70-80% successful. They just may have failed sooner. The doc's thought my dislocation problem was something genetic, increasing because of my competative sports life.

Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline monstercookies

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Let a *smile* be your umbrella! =)
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 03:43:09 AM »
Thanks for your response. I'm so sorry to hear that your surgeries have failed. IT makes me really nervous to think that so many people have had surgeries that were unsuccessful.

Gosh, I hope I don't add myself to the list. =(

I hope you have a wonderful evening!
Left knee lateral release
patellar debridement
medial miniscectomy
9/29/04

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 03:49:20 AM »
stairs are stressful on knees that are okay anyway, nevermind adding your entire body weight only on the "good" knee the entire set of steps.

I would look into changing how you're navigating the steps. yeah, i know sitting down on outside steps isnt possible, but might be good idea if your steps are in your house.

For outside steps, going up isn't easy that's for sure. I used to just grab the rail with the hand on the bad side and just loop the other crutch over the wrist of the hand holding the crutch on the good side. Awkward, but it worked. Being able to use the nonmoving handrail allowed for a more controlled "step" more like walking and less like a hop. getting someone else to carry the crutch you're not using is more helpful.

I would hope that using your postop exercises bilaterally would help. certainly can't hurt.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.