Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Why so many surgeries?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline WhistleTones

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Why so many surgeries?
« on: October 04, 2004, 11:39:22 AM »
I'm facing surgery and found this site.  The more I read, the more discouraged I get.  Seems like just about everyone out here has had some major issues ... and lots of surgery.

I don't want to develop a life-long relationship w/my OS!  I was hoping that he could fix the problems, send me to therapy, and after however many months of follow-up, I could go back on my merry way.

Is it as common as it looks to have knee surgery go so bad so often?  I realize things go wrong sometimes and this is a site for folks w/knee problems, but I don't see as many success stories as I'd like.  Anyone know any stats on people who are happy w/surgery vs. people who end up suffering through more & more procedures????

Thanks & good luck to all!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Why so many surgeries?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 06:08:05 PM »
Hey !!

Welcome here !! We have had small discussions earlier on this site why we have a lot of negative kneehistories here. Many of us coming here has been out there for a while and gone through a lot maybe therefor you can read a lot of negative stories but you can also find many who has become better and live a "normal life" after surgery. But if you have damages and really need surgery, it's often better having this so you don't risk severe damages in the future.
A good thing to do if you feel unsure wether having surgery or not is getting second even third opinion and that especially from docs good on your issues.
Hope this gave you something.

Hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline BuffettBarbie

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 06:26:50 PM »
Whistle!

Sweetie, the outcome of most surgery depends on what you do afterward!  It also depends on the type of surgery you have and the doctor!  

I had a Lateral Release in both knees.  I knew that it might not work, BUT, it was the second step (the first was intensive PT) to correct my tracking problem.  After both surgeries, I healed fast and worked hard to get my muscle strength back.  However, my tracking continued to get worse.  I had a TTT on my right knee on 8/20- already, I can see that my tracking problem has been corrected!  I do intense PT, too, which helps the recovery.  I do not forsee any more surgeries on this knee!  It actually worked!  I couldn't be happier!

Before you have any surgical procedure done, do your research.  How many of this particular surgery has your OS done?  What is the success rate?  What is the game plan if this does not correct the problem?  Talk to other people who have had the procedure done- what was their outcome?  What PT did they do, and how soon after?  This board is a plethora of knowledge.  

I'm not sure what procedure you are having done, but pretty much everyone who has had a TTT recently is really pleased with the results (many success stories.)  It's normal to feel frustrated and apprehensive.  

Many hugs,
Chris  :)
Lateral Release- Left Knee (Feb 2001)
Lateral Release- Right Knee (April 2001)
Fulkerson's TTO, Lateral Release, & Scope- Right Knee (20 Aug 2004)

Offline Brooke

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 03:32:53 AM »
Whistle,

Best of luck with your surgery or whatever procedure your doctor has recommed..  I have had problsm with my knees for several years and I finally had a lateral release done this past april and so far things seem pretty good... I still have some pain especially if i am working out or standing for a long period of time but overall, i am satisfied.. best of luck
Brooke
25 Years Old
Lateral Release, Left Knee on 4/12/04
Lateral Release, Right Knee on 1/6/06

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 11:06:08 PM »
Had Left knee lateral release which failed and then later on a TTT which was succesfull. My problems are genetic (both knees) and not yet solved neither will they ever be solved. However I am happy with the results as i have painfree days and can be active where I couldn't be before the TTT.

Good luck with whatever kind of knee surgery you're having!!!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

support