Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Torn ACL  (Read 780 times)

Offline Curtis929

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Torn ACL
« on: October 05, 2004, 11:42:10 PM »
I recently had a motorcycle accident and tore my ACL in my left knee.  Made my appointment with my Surgeon.  But the question I have is right now with my work I am not able to take off for a long period to have this surgery done on my knee to repair the ACL.  Is there any long term affects from walking on it before I have the surgery? I plan on having the surgery within 3 months.   And is there a good brace that could let me continue riding motorcycles?

Offline Philip

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Torn ACL
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 01:17:16 PM »
Curtis,

I don't think there are long term effects if you are to wait 3 months. My surgeon said that it'll be better to rest the traumatised knee and do a lot of physio before surgery. So he advises not to operated before 4-6 weeks after the accident anyway. Cosnider also that in the UK you easily wait 3 months for surgery, so I would not worry about that. Do loads of physio to strengthen you harmstrings and your quads as a preparation for your surgery and to avoid your knee giving in.

All the best,
Philip

P.S. don't know about braces - maybe check the braces section. They are normally fairly expensive....
6/4/04 Kiting accident: ACL, LCL, Biceps femoris tendon and Ilio tibia band ripped, fractured tibia below plateau.
14/4/04 OP: Reconstructing ACL, repairing  also the other damages