Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Necrosis Question  (Read 763 times)

Offline WhistleTones

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Necrosis Question
« on: October 04, 2004, 11:31:11 AM »
Forgive my speaking in English.  Still learning the lingo.

MRI shows damage to the meniscus damage and a small area (looks like a large candy corn in shape) of necrosis on the weight bearing part of the bone (the bone in the thigh, not the patella or the bone from the bottom of the leg.)  OS said blood isn't getting to that part of the bone so it is now dead.  Got 2 opinions.  Both OS said surgery to fix both things...

-How long can you 'go' before having necrosis "fixed"?
(Drs gave mixed opinions.)

-Do some people just have dead spots that don't cause any pain or further injury?

-Could I have been born this way and only now found out because I damaged the meniscus?

Thanks all for any insight.

Offline run_again

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: Necrosis Question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 12:36:04 AM »
I have similar necrosis in my knee. The size of a quarter. Doctors are not sure on how it happened. The only way to repair is total knee replacement or a partial replacement. Both sugeries would end my running for sure. I haven't been able to run for 2 years. Acupuncture and meds haven't helped. Pain is not too bad. Downhill walking does cause some pain. Doctor said when the pain is unbearable then I would be asking for a knee replacement. Sorry to be of no help. Looking for helpas you are. I want to run again. 54 is too young to stop.

support