Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chronic Problem Getting Worse  (Read 1155 times)

Offline LadyM71

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Chronic Problem Getting Worse
« on: October 04, 2004, 06:12:57 AM »
For many years I have been having trouble with my right knee after tearing my ACL back in 1986. Since then I've had a few other injuries to this knee (torn meniscus etc) and have had 2 arthroscopies to remove 50% of my ACL and trim the meniscal tears. I've had problems with Patella tendonitis as well as tracking problems that taping seemed to cure.

For the past 2 years after losing a lot of weight my knee has been really good, but over the past 2 weeks I have been in constant pain again. I have also noticed that my kneecap has a distinct piece missing from the right side (which my OS found 3 yrs ago) which seems to be getting bigger and I can feel 3 'ridges' running across the kneecap radiating out from the missing area.  Since I have been in pain again walking down stairs causes a really sharp pain below my kneecap and there has been some mild swelling as well.

Anyone have any ideas as to what would be causing the 'hole' in the side of my kneecap and the 'ridges' ???

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Chronic Problem Getting Worse
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 06:00:46 PM »
Hey !!

Maybe you should go checking this up with your Os. Not easy to guess why your kneecap feels like so.
Let us know how you are doing.

Hugs nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 04:20:57 AM »
Eeewww... I'd suggest going to see your OS too. A knee xray is probably in order to look at the state of the bone. I hope it's not anything major, please do get it checked out!!
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline LadyM71

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 12:32:39 PM »
eeeewwwwww is right LOL......I really don't like the feel of it at all. I'm going to see my GP tomorrow and will be requesting x-rays to see what's going on and a referal back to my OS ASAP.

I'm still in heaps of pain, sleeping is almost impossible as it throbs all darn night and if I move  :'( ....not good. Stairs are impossible to avoid unfortunately as my house is slightly raised off the ground (5 steps at the front and 10 at the back).

I spent 3 yrs (1999-2002) on Painkillers and Anti-inflammatories every day twice a day and had very limited quality of life with the constant pain and I sure don't want to go back there again. I hate being immobile and it sure isn't easy with 2 active kids LOL.

Will let you know the outcome tomorrow.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 03:34:48 AM »
It might be worth the investment to have someone with some carpentry experience contstruct an overlay for your steps to convert the front entrance into a ramp for you, that can be removed later if needed. Yeah, I know that might be a hassle, but some ingenuity, a piece of 3/4 in plywood, some nonskid adhesive strips, and some 2x8s could do nicely for a ramp. I've only got 2 steps to handle, but am also considering converting the back porch steps into a ramp. Only diff is that I'm the carpenter, unless i can get a friend to volunteer.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline LadyM71

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 04:09:28 AM »
A ramp is a great idea DM...will look into that. My GP has referred me back to physio for the tracking problem with my kneecap as I get more relief with that than any other option. We'll try that for a month or so and see how my knee feels....if not any better I'm heading back to my OS  :(