Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Sports  (Read 50319 times)

Offline clare hegg

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Sports
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2007, 06:43:59 PM »
Martial Arts (Combat Hapkido, Jeet Kune Do, among dabling in others)
Figure Skating (what caused the accident)
Softball
Rugby
Pointe Ballet
Hiking
11/01- Injury
1/02- Surgery:LR/partial synovectomy (OS #1)
6/07: lateral retinicular repair (OS#2)
2/12: Pain is back (extreme shift and tilt)
8/May/12: Lateral patellofemeral ligament reconstruction, w/chondroplasty, lysis, chondral fracture repair and plica release (OS #3)

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2007, 09:48:51 PM »
I not only live eat and sleep sports, I earn my living that way too! In my free time these days I do the following, even since my catastrophic blow out of my right knee in 1989:

Skiing - downhill and cross-country. I will never give up regardless what the doctors say - I'll just strive to be more elegant  8)
Diving (the deep stuff not the high one!)
Paragliding - took it up to fulfill a dream and to show the world that at 50 you are not too old for what you want to do!  ;D
Sailing - been apart of my life since I was tiny.

As a PE teacher most sports have been part of my life at some time or another - I played volleyball in the European National leagues until the ankles gave out; played hockey since I was a kid at school and still coach indoor. In 1989 I was told I would never take part actively in Sport again - boy what a challenge! I love proving the more arrogant type of consultant to be hopelessly wrong  :P

OK currently I'm in bed in a hospital in southern Germany staring longly at the mountains But to quote someone originally from this area: I'll be back!
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline Ronxski

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2007, 04:39:31 AM »
Wow Kaputt , you put me to shame. But we are nearly the same age. the big 50 is only a couple months away. And I love cross country skiing! Though I have a preference for the skate , freestyle. Here's hoping you are up and at em soon!

But take care in your Therapy so you don't push yourself back. Ron
partial meniscus removal, posterior horn of medial meniscus tear,horizontal cleavage type. Dec. O4
Age 56
back to cross country skiing and biking.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2007, 07:52:55 AM »
Hi Ronxski

I need activity - as a kid I was never still even when I was supposed to be in class! I am easily bored and have always chosen sports for myself which challenged me both physically and mentally. A wide contrary streak also helped because every time someone says to me that I cannot, then I will bust a gut proving them wrong! I just hope that the same mechanism is able to kick in again this time. My plan is to ski either on Midsummers Day or as soon after as possible. I also plan to be paragliding in Slovenia in September in order to prepare for my cross-country flying license exam in October.

Today I'm sitting on my bed looking out to the Zugspitze and the Karnwendel and Wetterstein mountain ranges. It is a wonderful crisp morning with clear blue skies and sunshine. Later on as the sun comes round to our side of the building it will be warm in the room as we have floor to ceiling windows facing west. The snow in Garmisch-Partenkirchen looks to be good. I watched the machines going up and down last night, cleaning up the trails - we could see their lights as they crawled up and down the slopes.

I'm actually British and work here in Bavaria as an English and Sports teacher. It is a wonderful location scenery wise but for me as a sports fanatic it is fantastic as the opportunities are more or less endless. And the Bavarians themselves are also sport orientated whether they know it or not! Walking paths every where, cycling in the valleys, around the lakes and up the not so extreme mountain. The mountain bikers seem to go everywhere were the walkers do!

I see that I need to do some more posting before I can mail people directly. I actually never really know what to post. Many of the posts seem to explain problems and are often pretty negative. Things do go wrong I can vouch for that from personal experience in the UK and here in Germany, but I try to concentrate on the positive things and work my way around the negative. I'll try my best to be more pro-active so that I can graduate from being a Micro-Geek to a full blown Knee-Geek!

all the best

Sue
3/06 LK ACL torn!

Offline by149561

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2007, 08:49:05 AM »
MMA .. but only watching at the moment stupid ACL

trainwreck

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »
Volleyball!!!!!
horseback riding
lifting weights
I detest running.  The only time I am glad my knee is crap cuz it is a great excuse not to run.  My OS completely forbid me from running unfortunately she also forbid volleball.  I chose not to hear that one.

Trainwreck

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2007, 07:29:37 PM »
Hi Ronxski

in answer to your questions regarding skis I also use Fischer RCS for X-Country (or Langlauf as we call it here) and Atomic for downhill. I get my Alpine skis directly from the Atomic factory as they sponsor our ski school. We are given new skis to test and get our own skis at a discount. I race on Atomic SL9 in slalom and I use the GS Race ski for all other races. For day to day teaching and just fooling around I have a new pair of Atomics but to be honest I have forgotten the name as I only had them a couple of days when I had my accident last winter (slipped on a patch of ice then fell while trying to bring some over ambitious kids safely down a black run!).

Your description of the hiking trails makes me look longingly at the hills around here and reminds of tours I did in the Scottish Highlands every summer until I left the UK for Germany. In Scotland I was often away for a few days with tent etc as wild camping is allowed there. Here in the Alps it is forbidden but there are lots of mountain huts where you can overnight. I miss the hiking and backpacking but the downhill sections are just too painful and risky these days. Maybe just day trips with a light sack and trekking poles to support the creaking knees when necessary  :).

The posts are gradually building up so it will not be long before I can reply to mails

Sue
3/06 LK ACL torn!

Offline paraglider

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2007, 03:19:09 PM »
Paragliding
Hiking - mountains and occasional long distance
Cycling
Skiing
Running

Started going paraglidng again 2 weeks ago despite ACL rupture - OS cleared it beforehand though.

Hazel

@Kauptt_Knee: Hi Sue:  Thanks for your message - I can't answer yet as I need 20> posts. I'm English, been living in Germany (Munich, Stuttgart) since 1997.  Have been paragliding for 5 years now.
ACL rupture / LCL sprain skiing 09/02/2007
OP 05/06/2007

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2007, 05:58:33 PM »
Hi Hazel

join in the games in the quizzes section - amazing how addictive and you hit the 20 posts in null komma nix! Then you can mail.

I have only watched so far - took up flying in 2000 but am no natural born flyer. My flying chool is going to take me through all the training again from Übungshang onwards!

Sue
3/06 LK ACL torn!

kc1124

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2007, 08:47:17 PM »
I am a sport fanatic, playing them, but now limited to spectator.  My OS says I would be lucky to run 100 feet.

Anyway here's my list

Softball catcher (15+ years - and I wonder why my knee is so screwed up  ;)
Women's flag football league
Hockey (Street, with the boys)
Baseball (with the boys)
Running (which I miss so much  :'(
Tennis

I was always around to play and try anything.  I now have my kids involved - son does Kenpo Karate and runs track (50, 100, 200 4x100) and my daughter does Kenpo Karate also.

If they want to play baseball or softball, I will steer them both away from catching, although I think it is the best position in the game.

KC

Offline ssmith556

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2007, 02:26:16 PM »
Hmm let's see sports...
TKD - about 4 years I just decided to switch to Karate and well lo and behold that is how I ruptured my Left ACL
volleyball - past 18 years
running
biking
dance

been pretty sedimentary since January when I injured my ACL though.

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2007, 04:08:44 AM »
Im retired at the age of 15. jk, im just not physically able to play any sports at the moment.

here are mine:

Softball (catcher)     8 years (had a 45,000 scholarship at the age of 10, to any college of my choice, but i moved)(4 year all star starting catcher)
Ice Hockey (goalie)    2 years
Roller Hockey (goalie)     5 years
Basketball (defender)     1 year (god this was hard on the knee)
Soccer (defender)          1 year
Lacrosse   (defender)     1 year
Flag Football     (QB and wide receiver)     1 year
Swimming     (just finished my first season, swam some varsity as a freshman, won the JV District 50 Free, in my first season ever)

jak
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

Offline HICCLE

• Regular Poster
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2007, 08:14:55 AM »
rugby, hockey,soccer, motocross,cricket

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2007, 11:33:32 PM »
Wow the only sport I've done is horseback riding.

Unless you include band. I don't really consider high school band a sport. Drum corps though...
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline Peg Leg

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2007, 11:05:45 PM »
I love Sports!! 

Softball--catcher, shortstop and 2nd base, since I was 8 yrs. old until I blew out my articular cartilege  14 months ago!
Volleyball
Horseback Riding
Water Skiing
Snow Skiing
Running
Weight Lifting
Biking

And now?   SWIMMING!!!!!!!

Peg Leg
10/06  Miicrofracture Rt knee on mfc
defect was 1.3x2, small defect under patella
04/07 Arthroscopy/Cell harvest for Carticel