Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: second arthroscopy any advice please!!!!!  (Read 1277 times)

Offline susdog

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
second arthroscopy any advice please!!!!!
« on: August 09, 2004, 02:58:58 AM »
 :D hey everybody just waitin for the date for my second arthroscopy, they are sanding me back again, my knee cap that is. A good idea? i dont know, i read they didnt think it was a good procedure anymore! first time round didnt really notice much difference. what does yiz tink ??? what about the hyaluronin gel? looks promising! but when? if ya havnt heard of it check betterhumans.com search for hyaluronin. lovely idea maybe in a few short years!
stay positive,
owen

Offline PattiAnn237

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: second arthroscopy any advice please!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 05:06:53 PM »
My doc said that they've discovered that shaving the kneecap is a very temporary fix, however he then proceded to do it anyway along with a lateral release.  So I don't think its a bad idea, but its not a permenant solution.  Good luck!!

~Patti
25 y/o
Left knee- lateral tilt, lateral tracking, arthritis
LR 8/5/04 (failed)
Diagnostic Scope- 5/2/05 (scar tissue removed)
Holding off on TTT till I can get through school!

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 12:45:44 AM »
I've had it done three times, all in conjunction with something else. I'm not sure if they would do it by itself?? Anyway, I found it helped for a while. The last time I had it was in June 2003, and just in the last couple of months I have been getting the crepitus back...which I guess means more damage is being done. But I always have pain behind the patella because of the defect. The shaving won't make it go away, but it does get rid of the loose stuff and give it a smoother surface to glide on.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline moroni

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 05:00:08 PM »
I am also being advised by my surgeon - without much enthusiasm on his part I might add - to try another scraping procedure since the first one last May did no good at all. I asked him if perhaps this was a plica and he said no - but also without much confidence. I work in medicine and know how things acan go with missed diagnoses etc. I am scheduling a private arthroscopy - at substantial cost to me - since I have little confidence (wonder why!!) in the first surgeon.