Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Meds and Blood Pressure  (Read 1794 times)

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Meds and Blood Pressure
« on: October 01, 2004, 11:17:27 PM »
Went to have my annual done yesterday. My blood pressure was through the roof. I've NEVER had a blood pressure issue. Always 120/80. The doc was shocked as I am on so many drugs he thought I should be in a coma. He made me sit and talk to him for 30 min, saying if it didn't come down I had to go to ER. I wondered why I had a horrific headache for 3 days!. Anyway, it came down to a non-emergency level and he suggested I see my primary doc. (This was an OBGYN). Anyone experience high blood pressure while on lots of meds? He mentioned that chronic painers often have higher blood pressure, but still thought my meds woulnd't allow that.

Jane
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Meds and Blood Pressure
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 12:46:47 AM »
Jane,

Being in constant severe pain, and searching for a doctor as you are doing now, would be enough to raise the blood pressure of a corpse!  I have very low blood pressure normally, but it has gone up a bit in the last few years for each visit.  The worst thing for me is my very rapid pulse.  It has always been fast, and this is not helped by my white coat syndrome!!  Anyway, this is probably because I am sedentary, gaining weight, in lots of pain, and under stress dealing with a knee that is slowly getting out of control.

I was put on a blood pressure medication to lower my heart rate.  It worked, and lowered my BP to the point that I was practically narcoleptic.

I would go back to your pain management doctor and discuss the BP situation with him.  He will know if any of the meds you are on can raise the blood pressure.  You may also want to have a physical.  But since BP is so closely related to stress levels, I imagine that getting your knees fixed would probably be the best BP medicine in the world....

Heather

PS What numbers did your BP come back at?  My situation is so odd because my heart rate is rarely below 90, and will go 110+ easy if a doctor in a white coat comes near me.  But my BP is 110/75 or in that range.  And when I was on the BP meds, it was 102/65--I felt awful!
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 01:04:02 AM »
Thanks Heather. I see my pm doc the end of this month. I'll go to a drug store or something and take my BP. It was 200/130 (or something close to that. I'm sure about the 200 part). It got down to 152/95. Weird. I had another headache last night and of course was thinking I would have a heart attack in the middle of the night.  I took a Xanex and slept 6 hours straight. I don't usually do that. I get 3  or 4 hrs max straight through. I don't know what my pulse was. I never paid attention to any of that because it's always normal. I was completely shocked. If they hadn't taken it several times I wouldn't have believed it. The doc was taking it manually (God forbid) because he thought the machine messed up. Very strange. None of my research on my meds say anything about blood pressure. I've been on most of them for a couple years (except the MS-Contin has only been a few months). The only difference that I can think of is that I stopped taking Tylanol and have been taking Advil (maybe 8 per day). Not every day, but for the bad break-through pain. Maybe my body is mad that I stopped the Tylanol :)
12 knee surgeries. bilateral patellectomy 22yrs ago. chronic pain, major narcotics. Still looking for help with pain. 42yrs old.

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 01:09:29 AM »
I agree with Heather about bp and pain. ON my last visit to the ER, my bp was 186/104. normally I am around 100 - 110 over 60 to 76 or so. YES it was pain and apprehension as ER is not a favorite place to expect kind treatment for chronic pain and knee suffers. I , also , was told that it had to come down for me to be able to leave, but GUESS what, NOBODY took it again. Had I walked out and stroked, would not have looked good for ER.  MY heart rate used to run in the 40's, and I was given a med that lowers heart rate for a side effect  for another condition. UNFORTUNATELY, every time I stood up I almost passed out, when I mentioned this to the cardiologist, he said it didn;t matter that my heart rate was in the 30's just how well my body tolerated it. DUH? I was passing out, once he read that part, the med was tossed. MY HR goes up with pain, as is to be expected, and the visit to the ER. Can't imagine what either will be when I have this da*n screw removed, as not only do I not trust the guy doing it, I am terrified of something even more drastic happening, add to the unrelenting pain, and UP, UP and AWAY!!! A prudent nurse, dr. whoever will take into consideration all of the above and any other happenings, like severe stress, etc and just keep elevaluating vital signs.  and CHARTING the accompanying happenings to put them in perspective.  THAT is why it is so important to chart each and every thing no matter how trivial. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SUED, and have always been complemented on my charting. I have been set up as an example of excellent charting, which does nothing for personal relationships in the work place.  BUT take deep breaths, and pain meds before going to the dr. Like H said check with the pain manag. doc, he might shed some light. Next time, might try head phones with sedating music playing. THe standards for even treating high BP is to evaluate it on three separate occasions, and in three different settings, before acting. Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Holly

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Runs with scissors
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 04:25:01 AM »
Dear Jane:

I'm not a nurse, but I am a dental assistant, and we sometimes run across a patient whose stress level seriously elevates his/her BP when they come in for dental work. (Why are people so afraid of dentists?!).  In dealing with these patients I've come to learn some of the common medications that can effect BP, and I've NEVER HEARD anything about Tylenol keeping your BP down.  If anything, I would think that Aspirin or Advil would be more likely to have that effect, as they can "thin" the blood, thereby LOWERING the BP.

Honestly, I think you're just under such an awful amount of stress and in so much pain that your BP shoots up - especially when at the doctor's!  Can you check it under less stressful conditions?  Like at a pharmacy, or do you have a friend who could do it?  That way you'll have a better idea if it is, in fact, stress related.  And as Teresa points out (excellent nurse that she is! ;D) the protocol for determining that there's really a problem calls for 3 separate readings under 3 separate circumstances.  One episode of HBP is not enough.

That being said, I sure don't like the sound of the "horrific headache for 3 days."  One high BP reading may not mean much...but combined with a headache of that duration...well, I'd see about getting a good physical and maybe even a visit to a neurologist to rule out migraines or some kind of circulation problem.  What do you think?

Please take care of yourself, kiddo.  It's very easy for us kneegeeks to get so overwhelmed by our knee problems that we let the rest of our bodies go to h*ll.  Please don't let that happen to you.

Be well...hugs!

Holly
1998 run over by car;Rt knee lat menisc/med menisc tear, ACL/MCL tear, patella frx, tib frx, femur frx, 4 scopes repr menisc/repr lig/debride pat, open MCL rpr, dbl osteot3/04;MUA,lysis6/04;scope10/04

Offline kath

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 05:39:16 AM »
Hi Jane..funny you should mention the blood pressure issue.  

I was prescribed Bextra a few months ago.  Strangely enough, after a couple of months of taking it, I developed 3 broken blood vessels in my eye...all in one week.  I made a drs appt and low and behold, my blood pressure was elevated.  Not dangerously, but much higher than my usual low bp.  Since my dr felt the meds may have caused it, I immediately quit taking Bextra and have been monitoring my bp weekly at the local pharmacy.  It's been almost normal until 2 weeks ago when it shot up again.  All I can think of is that I quit taking Tylenol Arthritis (it wasn't working) and started taking my prescription migraine pills (heavy duty ibuprofen).

So, though the heavy duty ibuprofen helps the pain in my knees,  is it worth risking the high bp and all the risks associated?  I'm still trying to weigh that one out!

Kath
Bi-lateral unicompartmental Nov 2004

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 05:46:12 PM »
Jane, HEadaches can  be a sign of high BP , you usually awaken with the headache when it is related to chronic high BP. You may feel a pounding occasionally.But remember that hypertension is called the silent killer. Best to set up serial readings at health unit, or with family pract. or internal med dr. Usually, they start out with a diuretic type med, lower salt, cut down on fat, red meat,  etc. Follow up is the best . Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline maxfactor

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 08:58:55 PM »
Thanks everyone. I think it was just stress and pain levels. I've never been a person to get migraines. My headache was pounding, but I could still function.  I'll keep an eye on it between now and my pm doc appt at the end of the month. I'll just go to the drug store. I can't imagine that it's the meds, as they are almost all narcs that can make a person sleepy (except me). Ms-Contin, Norco, lots of Advil. I also take Zoloft and an occasional Xanex. Usually I take the Xanex before bed to try to sleep through the night. Doesn't work. I took 2 3hr naps this past weekend. My hubby and son were off playing. It was wonderful. They understand I don't sleep well at night and often give me "naptime" on the weekends. I'll keep you guys posted about the BP. Haven't got my appt yet with the new OS, but I know it's in the works. Thanks again my friends. Really wish we could all meet one day.

Jane

Offline moroni

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2004, 04:52:58 PM »
I am a registered sleep technologist with 13 years of experience in research and clinical work. Morning headache - upon awakening or shortly thereafter can be a sign of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Syndrome.

Offline Mickey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 08:41:19 AM »
Hi There!

I was taking Vioxx and it really was helping. My blood pressure went very high so I was taken off that and put on Celebrex (couldn't take that either). I know Vioxx has been taken off the market, a good thing! It definately sounds like you are taking too many meds. Any Vioxx or Celebrex? Good luck getting it under control!

Mickey