Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Limp after patella fracture - elliptical trainer  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Rhonda

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • Knee vs Tree - Tree wins.  
Limp after patella fracture - elliptical trainer
« on: November 08, 2002, 03:40:19 PM »
 Hi Cecelia,

I thought KneeGuru would have  moved the other thread by now, but she must be busy, so I'll start a new on here for you.

I think the best thing that helped me lose my limp ws the elliptical trainer.  Have you tried that?  

Good Luck bringing down evil WalMart! >:(  Glad you finally got a good lawyer!

Rhonda
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 02:41:54 PM by admin »
Shattered patella 4/6/2002.  
Fixed w/ open surgery 4/8/2002, using Two Screws, and Figure of Eight Tension Band Wiring.  Hardware removed 5/28/2003.

Offline ceciliamidd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Cecelia's patella fracture
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2002, 05:32:06 PM »
Hi Rhonda,
Thank you for moving my story to the right place :)
What is the elliptical trainer ???I don't think my PT has mentioned to me.
I will try to go back to work by December 2nd, after 1 year and 2 months out. I am an international flight attendant and I think by now I can do most of the work, but the locking bother me a great deal. My PT told me to get in a pace of 1, 2 and 1,2 and walk little faster, it help some, but I go back in no time to the locking of the leg and that is why I limp some, my PT think I am afraid and that is why I lock the leg for security.  
Please tell me everything you know that could help me with this problem. My AROM is 115 to 118 degrees and AAROM is 0-123 to 125 degrees, my quads strenght is 47 and hams is 53, the PT think is very good for the kind of accident I had.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, my email is [email protected]

Thank you

Cecilia

Offline Rhonda

• Regular Poster
  • Knee vs Tree - Tree wins.  
Re: Cecelia's patella fracture
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2002, 06:20:36 PM »
Hi,

AN Elliptical trainer is a cardio machine found in most gyms.  Looks like a cross between a stairmaster and a nordic track.
It basially simulates a running motion, but without impact.  It was very good for loosening up that stiffness in my case.  In your case, I think that doing that every couple of days, gradually increassing speed will increase confidence, as well as getting your legs to move in a  rhythm.  
I think it's worth a try!  My PT has a couple in his office (well, he bascally has a full gym there).
Shattered patella 4/6/2002.  
Fixed w/ open surgery 4/8/2002, using Two Screws, and Figure of Eight Tension Band Wiring.  Hardware removed 5/28/2003.

support