Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Vioxx  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Abbie s Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Jennifer Reilly
Vioxx
« on: October 01, 2004, 03:27:37 AM »
I have bilateral Chrondomalacia patella-femoral; PFS; small tear mensical; some type of patellar tracking disorder.

I live each day with Vioxx. I was hospitalized after a severe allergic reaction to Hyalgan, now I can't take VIOXX? I can't take Celebrex.

Anyone have any ideas, before I call the doctor tomorrow?

Jenn

PS> Vioxx made me able to walk with a walker; at 29! Now I am afraid I will go back to wheelchair.
Jennifer Reilly
Abigael's mom 12/4/02
** No problems prior to fall of 12/7/03 on black ice. Is this related??? hmmmm....
Current diagnosis:
Bilateral Femoral-Patella Chrondo
PFS
Mal-tracking

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: Vioxx
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 06:33:48 AM »
I would try Bextra which is the next generation drug of Vioxx.  It is considered to be safer, although you can be sure that it will be undergoing newer, more rigorous testing as a result of the issues with Vioxx.  

This may sound silly, but have you tried presciption ibuprofen or naproxen sodium (generic for Aleve).  Some people can find an equal amount of effectiveness with these alternatives.  

Hopefully you will get some answers that are acceptable.  I too am dealing with the Vioxx issue since it is my team physician's drug of choice for my athletes.  Over half of our football team is on it and we are trying to coordinate changing prescriptions plus refunds for the unused portions.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Abbie s Mom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Jennifer Reilly
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 03:13:24 PM »
Thanks I will check out the other medication. I was trying to take Celebrex, but again GERD was acting up.

I have tried everything Aleve, Naprosen, etc...  I will miss Vioxx!!

Jenn
Jennifer Reilly
Abigael's mom 12/4/02
** No problems prior to fall of 12/7/03 on black ice. Is this related??? hmmmm....
Current diagnosis:
Bilateral Femoral-Patella Chrondo
PFS
Mal-tracking

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 04:37:08 AM »
I have seen in news articles that sometimes you might have to add a med for the stomach like prilosec or nexium with some of the other meds, because of stomach upset that some people get with aleve etc. I cant use celebrex either, doesn't work. ( I had someone tell me once that celebrex doesn't work for about half the people that try it). I've never tried bextra, so I can't  comment there.

Another name of an NSAID that I've heard of is called Mobic. here's a link to an FDA site about it http://www.fda.gov/cder/consumerinfo/druginfo/mobic.htm  I've never tried this one either, but may have to try bextra or this eventually.

Hope this helps.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline OSDKnees

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 07:07:52 PM »
I am not a big fan of NSAIDs, they aren't directly addressing the problem, just the secondary inflammation and pain.

Was the reason you had an adverse reaction to Hyalgan because the source of the Hyaluronic Acid is poultry (roostercomb)?  If so, there are other sources of HA that do not have the same risk of animal protein contamination, such as from a sterile, bacterial culture.

Offline libertynm

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 09:20:13 PM »
Jenn--

I feel your pain!  I was also on Vioxx. . .can't take Celebrex or Bextra because of a severe sulfa allergy.  Ibuprofen and naproxen never worked even 1/10th as well and they were very tough on my stomach.

Hopefully someone out there is working on another cox-2 inhibitor for people who can't take the currently available ones!

ACL allograft - 12/07/04

shadehawk

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 09:34:59 PM »
I take 15mg meloxicam (mobic) and it has helped for some of the pain and it works for approx. 20 hours.  I take it at bedtime.

Hope this helps.

Offline oldgit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 09:41:20 PM »
For those who missed it, Vioxx and then Celebrex have been removed from the market.  High risk of strokes and heart disease were cited as the reasons for the companies to stop production.
Total Ruptured Quad 9th July 04.  Reconstruction surgery 17th July 04.

Offline OSDKnees

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 10:30:47 PM »
Try oral HA.  It's safe, natural, non-toxic, has no side-effects (if you get one from a biofermentation, bacterially-grown source, not roostercomb), and works by lubricating the joint.  In other words, it's treating the problem.

Kinetic Technologies (www.kinetictech.net) makes two great supplements called HA-30 and Conquer III.

I hope this helps!

Offline knight_of_knee

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 07:42:58 AM »
I was on Vioxx for awhile.  Then I was put on Mobic (mainly because that's what they had samples of).  I didn't notice a significant difference while on either.. but at least I didn't feel worse.

Is Vioxx completely off the market now?  If I were on it again, I'd probably stay on it since my risk factors for heart disease are pretty low and I had no side effects.

I think every medicine has risks to it.  It's a matter of weighing pros and cons, I think.  As long as people are made aware of potentially dangerous side effects, I think we should be able to choose.

Sid

Offline OSDKnees

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 03:30:28 PM »
I disagree.  VIOXX is very dangerous.  Merck pulled it because they realized that it was so dangerous that if anyone found out, people could sue them immeasureably.  If a pharmaceutical company pulls it's own product then they've done their math.  I think diet, exercise and more natural therapies are unfairly overlooked because there isn't enough moeny to be made in it.  But that's another story.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 12:37:57 AM »
Just a correction to a previous post, Celebrex is still on the market, just it's advertising has been pulled.  

In general, Vioxx is safe if the patient is selected carefully, and monitored.  It is also up to the physicians to make sure that they are prescribing drugs appropriotely.  The heart problems and strokes occured in test with higher dosages and longer treatment duration.

I'm just looking forward to the newest Cox-2 inhibitors hitting the US market, they look quite promising.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 01:15:12 AM »
Bextra can be a good option, there are also topical NSAID drugs now on the market, including Pennsaid. Worth looking into ;)
linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?