Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Medial reefing  (Read 3238 times)

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 114
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Medial reefing
« on: July 14, 2002, 08:10:55 PM »
Have any of you had medial reefing on its own, or only with or after lateral release?
--
KNEEguru

Offline Jennifer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Medial reefing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2002, 07:25:20 AM »
I have had medial reefing procedure done subsequent to my Maquets.   My OS used thermal shrinkage and I have been exceedingly pleased with the results.  He also did some other tightening throughout the compartment.
11/98 LR+chondro(L);Maquets T3 5/99(L),5/00(R);8/00 bilat hdwr removal;7/01 chondro+therm shrink(L)10/01-therm shrink(R);2/02, LR +chondro+menis repair(R);7/01 access navic excis (L) foot;11/02, bilat Baker's Cyst Asp;12/03 Roux-type T3 +meniscus trim(R),12/04 Roux-type T3(L) :o :o :o

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2002, 11:51:22 AM »
Had it done in conjunction with my lat release.the results are great, mind you I laughed when the handed me the sheet of what they had done, more like a grocery list!.

Arthroscopy
Lateral release
Medial Reefing
Plica removal
Scar tissue excision
Arthroscopic washout.

As my nurse said to the surgeon "Is there anything you didn't do?"!.

Offline zoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 04:40:42 PM »
i had it done alone on both knees, and before that along with a lateral release. it is working really well, and i just had thermal shrinkage on my shoulder!
12/09 R knee mpfl reconstruction
3/06 L Knee MPFL Reconstruction
3/05 L Knee Synvisc Injections
7/02 R Shoulder Thermal Shrinkage
12/01 L Knee Thermal Shrinkage
12/00 R Knee Thermal Shrinkage
7/98 R Knee Lateral Release
12/92 L Knee Lateral Release

Offline Deborah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2002, 05:27:30 PM »
I've had it done when I had my VMO reattached, and my medial plication resewn (along with a LR).  I also had a chondroplasty at that time, and it was a desperation salvage procedure, and my sixth one.  Unfortunately, it did not work, and I had my knee replaced 11 months later.   :-[
Manip arthro adhes 1/02; TKR 10/01; vmo rep, med reef, chondro, LR 11/00; pat resurf LR 2/00; arth let meisc (80%)1/99; TTT, chondro 8/98; LR(open), med menisc, chondro 6/97; arth med men, OCD les rem

Offline Maggie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2002, 09:11:29 PM »
I think I had medial reefing, but in looking at the information on the site I don't see the procedure I had done. My doctor called it an open VMO advancement. He said that he removed part of the stretched, torn and atrophied vmo muscle and sewed it back to the patella. I have a three inch scar from it along the medial upper area of my knee. I also have a few other things that were done at the time: a lateral release, abrasion arthroplasty, patellar chondroplasty, a medial meniscectomy. This surgery was done because of constant lateral dislocations. I had a previous surgery on the same knee aproximately 17 years ago, they removed a large piece of cartilage I had torn off when I dislocated my patella. Now I have been told by Dr. Tomlin in San Antonio that I have bone spurs where the abrasion arthroplasty was done and that the tightening up of everything has progressed the arthritis and reccomended an osteotomy, to relieve some of the pressure on the joint. It seems like one surgery just leads to another . I have also had Synvisc injections, which only worked for about a month. I have had it aspirated three times, and the corticosteroid injections.
Thanks Maggie
« Last Edit: August 12, 2002, 11:03:44 PM by Maggie »
Scope in 1984 torn acl, loose body removal, patellar chondroplasty. 12/01 open VMO advancement, LR, medial meniscectomy, abrasion arthroplasty, patellar chondroplasty.Synvisc, cortisone, celebrex.