The WAITING ROOM => GENERAL KNEE QUESTIONS and comments (good for new threads) => Topic started by: peterg21 on August 04, 2012, 02:59:50 PM

Title: Cartialge wear?
Post by: peterg21 on August 04, 2012, 02:59:50 PM
I've been having problems with my knee for about 6months, i whet to see my GP who put his hand on my knee and move my leg up and down and says its cartilage wear not the best assesment if u ask me, im only 21 never had any problems with my knee at all until i was diagnosed with chronic anterior compartment syndrome in my right leg (shin) and thats when the pain first started in my knee, could that be a factor of why im having knee pain? is there anything i could do to help with the pain while im waiting for physio? (which is a 17week wait), exercies, heat/cold therapy, rest? anything!

Please help and thanks for reading.
Title: Re: Cartialge wear?
Post by: kneepaincure on August 05, 2012, 04:45:07 PM
Have you been referred to see a specialist? It would be useful to have some imaging done and check what's going on inside the knee.
Title: Re: Cartialge wear?
Post by: LindaM on August 05, 2012, 10:34:31 PM
Hi there,

You have to wear that knee for a long time. Get that referral tomorrow.  Your GP is a generalist, he is not the person to evaluate your knee for cartilage wear just based on the feel of it.  On his own he should at the very least have ordered an xray to see what things looked like.  Be pleasant but firm about your request for a referral to a specialist, don't let him treat you like a kid, and don't accept just physical therapy without a diagnosis by a specialist.  You need to know what is going on in your knee so the PT knows how to help you.  You have been dealing with this for six months, so don't buy the old line about just giving it more time. Most doctors will be willing to refer in a circumstance like yours, but if you are really having resistance, ask if this is what he would do if his own child was in pain for 6 months and had cartilage loss at such an early age .  And if he refuses, ask for him to put his diagnosis and the basis for it in writing and the reason for his refusal so that you can either find another GP or go over his head.

Good luck :)

Title: Re: Cartialge wear?
Post by: peterg21 on August 05, 2012, 10:50:31 PM
I've had an xray which came back with nothing, seeing another doctor soon so I'm going defiantly going to ask to see a specialist or at least an mri.

Thanks for your reply will be using it to my advantage.
Title: Re: Cartialge wear?
Post by: kneepaincure on August 05, 2012, 11:41:31 PM
What view of your knee were taken? Was it just one view with you standing with legs straight?
Title: Re: Cartialge wear?
Post by: Kwal57 on August 06, 2012, 01:21:05 AM
If you feel like you need to exercise. I can't stress enough how much swimming will take the weight off the knee, and there will be less wearing. If you are having problems bearing weight, this will help too. :) It gives you a few minutes of 'freedom.' When you get into PT, you'll have plenty of things to keep your busy!! Make sure you get to see a specialist too, they will be able to help you better than a GP, seeing as they see knees in and out daily.

Good Luck!
Title: Re: Cartialge wear?
Post by: peterg21 on August 06, 2012, 12:57:59 PM
The veiw of the xray was with me laying down with my knee bent from 2 different angles, yer may have to give swimming ago do need to do some exercise.