The WAITING ROOM => GENERAL KNEE QUESTIONS and comments (good for new threads) => Topic started by: jerbear on August 30, 2011, 10:05:05 PM

Title: arthoscopic surgery on knee...need advice!!!
Post by: jerbear on August 30, 2011, 10:05:05 PM
Hi this is my 1st time on the board..I have osteoarthritis in both knees and just had medial meniscus tear repaired, and lateral tear repaired. Have a large bakers cyst also on that knee.(oh almost forgot they removed my Plica muscle too.) So its been 3 weeks since surgery and my knee is still catching when you try to straighten it out hurts real bad too. So doc says now he wants to try the synvisc injections to lubricate my knee to hold of total knee replacement. I am not sure about this chicken fat injection,as I am allergic to alot of things. Also not sure about more pain in my knee that still hurts alot. I don"t know about a band-aid fix. WTH? Crazy knee hurts more now than before the surgery and I can go up stairs like 5 but coming down I need my cane. Would like some feed back if any one can help. Thanks 
Title: Re: arthoscopic surgery on knee...need advice!!!
Post by: TwoBadKneesUSA on August 31, 2011, 01:59:23 PM
If it has been only three weeks, then it is not unusually for there to be lots of pain still.  If the plica was removed, the area where that was done it probably still irritated and trying to form scar tissue.  Your body will form scar tissue after any surgery.  That may be what the catching is all about.  If you are concerned about allergies, let your OS know.  Maybe the injections would not be right for you having so many allergies.  Is is possible the cyst is causing some catching?  I also know that a meniscus repair surgery can be quite painful to recover from.  Maybe a wait and see approach might be better right now.  It's hard to wait when it hurts so much though.  Make sure to discuss any concerns with your OS.
Title: Re: arthoscopic surgery on knee...need advice!!!
Post by: Kimberly 77 on August 31, 2011, 04:03:57 PM
3 weeks is still early, I would give it more time. I will tell you if your knee is that irriatated now it will only be worse after the injection. Those injections always cause me more pain and swelling and I never have gotten relief from them. That being said though after you let your knee settle down and work on some physical theraphy if you are not feeling better, then trying the shots wouldn't be such a bad idea. You might ask for Euflexa, I think I read it is the only one not made from rooster combs. Some people on here say they work good for them, but most say it is a horrible experience. If it was to work for you it would be so much better than a tkr.