The WAITING ROOM => GENERAL KNEE QUESTIONS and comments (good for new threads) => Topic started by: vakene on June 04, 2010, 12:23:55 AM

Title: PLEASE ! need help !
Post by: vakene on June 04, 2010, 12:23:55 AM
today ii seemed to have dislocated my left knee, this isnt the first time, and im wondering whether or not ii actually dislocated it ?
ive never gone to the doctor before for it, and it usually only takes a week or two to heal with some occasional pain. right now my leg hurts to walk on and its swollen, also the right(inside) side of knee seems to extremely hurt. ive heard of something called patellar subluxation and partial dislocation , could you please explain this to me ! also how do you know if you've torn a ligament ? and what should ii do about my knee ?
thank you so much for taking your time !
Title: Re: PLEASE ! need help !
Post by: stacey123 on June 04, 2010, 02:14:39 AM
You really should see an orthopedic specialist. By dislocating your knee you can do severe damage inlcuding torn ligaments and meniscus tears. If the inside of your knee hurts it could possibly be your MCL (medial collateral ligament), or a host of other things. A dr. can determine upon examination the possible damage, but an MRI may also be needed. Difficulty with straightening and bending your leg can indicate ligament/meniscus/etc. damage. I dislocated my knee while sledding over the winter and tore all but 1 ligament, tore my meniscus, post lateral corner, and a lot of surrouding damage. I highly suggest you see someone because a knee is nothing to mess around with. Good luck to you!

Title: Re: PLEASE ! need help !
Post by: naturegirl on June 06, 2010, 10:23:44 PM
I echo Stacey's advice to see a doctor.  I have struggled with subluxations and dislocations for about 10 years, and only recently have gotten serious about fixing the problem.  I'm now recovering from a pretty major knee surgery.  I realized how much I gave up doing because of my knee, and I wish I had addressed the problem earlier. 

Regardless of whether you have subluxated, dislocated, or partially dislocated your knee, damage could have been done and you ought to see a doctor about.  Physical therapy may be the answer you need, but perhaps you'll need more than that.  Only a doctor can tell you!

Good luck!