The WAITING ROOM => GENERAL KNEE QUESTIONS and comments (good for new threads) => Topic started by: pascha on August 10, 2008, 02:11:36 PM

Title: advice please - 4 months after microfracture
Post by: pascha on August 10, 2008, 02:11:36 PM
Hi All
this is my first post so I hope I'm posting in the right area, and really hoping that somone may be able to offer me some advice.
After suffering for 26 years with regular popping out of me knee, grinding, pain, regular trips to A & E to have a disclocation remedied and my leg put in plaster, I had a microfracture procedure in April of this year.
After my knee popped out when in labour almost 12 years ago, I had MRI, etc etc and was told that there was nothing that could be done to help my problem as I apparently had a congenital defect and my only option was to wear a knee brace and wait til I was 55 to have a knee replacement.
Well I accepted this and continued to deal with the many popping outs that I had - at this point it was every couple of months and upto 2 weeks each time before my leg would straighten again.
Well, in January this year, I was kneeling on the floor, heard an almighty pop and my knee was particularly out of joint. After trying to relax, painkillers etc, I couldn't cope with the pain so my husband took me to A & E. I was referred for an urgent arthroscopy and was due to have the op 5 days later. However my bloods were dodgy, so I had to wait for my blood levels to even out which took over 6 weeks before I could have the op.
The plan was, just to have a clean and tidy up, however I came round from the op having been told that I had a microfracture performed as it was as though an axe had chipped a wedge out of the knee and this was the cause of my problems. I was told if I was lucky I would have a couple of years, but ultimately I would need a knee replacement but I couldn't have it until I was about 50.
well, about a month after surgery my knee started popping again, but much worse than before the op. The physio referred me back to the surgeon as she was concerned and I saw him last week. He said again, I needed a knee replacement, there was nothing surgically they can do, referred me back to physio and basically said I have to deal with it.
The other problem I have is fibromyalgia, so my hips, muscles in my legs, arms, back etc, are all affected, so when my knee is locked at right angles it puts tremendous pressure on my already painful joints.
well, this morning it has popped again - I wasn't even doing anything, other than getting up off the sofa, and it is now at a 90 degree angle and exceptionally painful. I'm not sure I can cope with this for another 10 years. My husband wants to take me to A & E this afternoon, but I think it will be a waste of time - I have very strong painkillers anyway (the only stronger one I could have is morphine, which I am allergic to). His argument, is that I may get a second opinion, and at least some gas and air for a few hours!
Has anyone got any suggestions about what my options could be. I'm 40 years old, slightly overweight (steroids) BMI 28, but I do eat healthily and try to slim as much as I can without being able to exercise due to the fibromyalgia.
Title: Re: advice please - 4 months after microfracture
Post by: Nettan on August 10, 2008, 02:32:55 PM
Your husband is soooo right. You really need a second opinion. There are some here that even have had TKR's even before 40. Tiffany is one of them.
You need a quality life. I would really go in again to A&E, then they see what life you have now. Something needs to be done.
If you read around under section TKR I am sure you will find people that can help you there. Maybe put a post there would be good too.
Wish you the best.
Title: Re: advice please - 4 months after microfracture
Post by: pascha on August 10, 2008, 02:46:46 PM
Thanks Nettan

I think I may have to go an A & E this afternoon, pain is excrutiating!

It just gets me down so so much. I'm wondering also, when I may be able to get the replacement if I went privately - the hospital have told me in no uncertain terms that the NHS won't even consider it until I'm 50. Does anyone know if this would make a difference, if I could manage to borrow the money to have it doen this way? I was told to exercise and loose weight, have physio and get on with my life - easier said than done, especially when i have mobility problems anyway. I know I need to lose weight anyway and it may help, but I'm not making excuses but losing wieght takes more time for me now I have for mobility problems than it did before!

Title: Re: advice please - 4 months after microfracture
Post by: pascha on August 11, 2008, 07:21:22 AM

5 hours at  A & E, back in at 11am for arthroscopy to unlock
Title: Re: advice please - 4 months after microfracture
Post by: Nettan on August 11, 2008, 07:24:19 AM
Well done !! Hope that will lead to something better.
Know they will really see the state of your knee.
Wish you the best.
Title: UPDATE Re: advice please - 4 months after microfracture
Post by: pascha on August 12, 2008, 11:19:41 PM
Hi There
Just returmed from hospital following emergency arthroscopy.
I'm not totally sure of what was done, but before the surgery he told me he had read my notes and felt that my knee shouldn't be written off as per my last consultation where I was told that nothing could be done other than a partial knee replacement - he said he felt it was very premature to come to that concludion. He said he wasn't sure what he could do now though, but his priority was to unlock my knee and then he could have a ,look and consider options. After surgery while in recovery the surgeon told me:
1. he shaved the medial menisus. I had 2 new tears somejwere as well which the flaps were removed. my previous surgery(4.5 months ago) was a microfracture due to a large wedge of missing cartilage.
2. he 'cut' my thigh bone
I was pretty woosey and couldn't ask any questions, and I won't know exactly what he meant until my follow up appt and stich removal in 2 weeks time.
Anyone got any ideas what was actually done and the reasons behind the thgh bone cut and what this means?

thoughts would be rally appreciated.

many thanks
Title: Re: advice please - 4 months after microfracture
Post by: Nettan on August 13, 2008, 06:48:15 AM
Probably he did some shaving on femur, maybe you had some cartilage damage there.
Where did you have the microfracture 4,5 months ago ?
I hope your leg will be all good now.