The WAITING ROOM => GENERAL KNEE QUESTIONS and comments (good for new threads) => Topic started by: japc85 on July 30, 2006, 05:00:54 PM

Title: minor knee injury caused by running - but what do i do??
Post by: japc85 on July 30, 2006, 05:00:54 PM
Hi everyone. I'm 21 and started running at the start of June. After a run in mid July the area under the lower part of my right knee cap felt 'weird' after an hour or so. I wouldn't say that it is very painful but it is stopping me from running and it can at times be a slight challenge to go up and down the stairs (along with any change in height for that matter). It is hard to explain the symptoms. basically it feels like something under my knee cap is slightly rubbing against something it shouldn't. I don't have any pain but it does feel very uncomfotable at times. I have come to the conclusion that the problem was caused by wearing inproper running shoes.

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what I may have wrong with my knee and how I can recover fully so I can start running again??
Title: Re: minor knee injury caused by running - but what do i do??
Post by: emphatic on July 30, 2006, 11:20:30 PM
Unfortunately, no one can diagnose your knee problem over the internet. You really need to see an orthopedic surgeon, preferably one who specializes in knees. Since you're not having a lot of pain, you can probably catch the problem very early and solve it easily.

Once you get a diagnosis from a doctor, you can come back here and people would be glad to support you in following your treatment plan, whether it be physical therapy or whatever. Odds are, someone else will have the same situation and can let you know what it's like.

Good luck, and do let us know how your get on with a doctor's appointment.

Title: Re: minor knee injury caused by running - but what do i do??
Post by: kneefizzio on July 31, 2006, 06:00:20 PM
I agree no one can diagnose over the internet.
Dont go staright to a surgeon it doesnt sound as if surgery is needed. Go to a good sports physiotherapist.

It does sound that its a tracking problem of the patella (knee cap) on the femur. This may be due to hip or foot biomechanics. Both therefore have to be looked at. There may be tightness of the quads causing an increase patellofemoral joint reation force and rub. This needs to be looked at. There may in deed be aproblem in the knee itself - although it sounds like the knee is taking the brunt of your problems. Running techniques also needs to be looked at to be sure what is going on. Its a dynamic problem so get someone to look at you dynamically rather than on a physio bed only.

I am a specialist in runners knee problems based in London. You are welcome to ask more - [email protected]
Some exercises used at our clinic are shown on our website

Good luck
Title: Re: minor knee injury caused by running - but what do i do??
Post by: emphatic on July 31, 2006, 07:44:09 PM
Alrighty then...

In the US, we go to doctors first -- and orthopedic doctors here are called orthopedic surgeons, regardless of whether they ever do surgery on a patient. In fact, probably 70-80% of their patients are never operated on. We are not able to see a physical therapist (in most circumstances) without a doctor's prescription.

So, to translate to UK english -- my advice is to go to a sports medicine doctor and get a diagnosis. Then you can go see a physio who can help you implement the doctor's treatment plan.

I happen not to agree with seeing a physio first (and please don't take this personally, Graham), simply because a physio does not have nearly the level of training that a sports medicine physician has.

That said, there is still no way to diagnose your problem over the internet... sorry.