KNEEtalk

The WAITING ROOM => GENERAL KNEE QUESTIONS and comments (good for new threads) => Topic started by: goblinek on December 15, 2005, 07:49:16 PM

Title: kneecap cartilage breaking... how about recovery???
Post by: goblinek on December 15, 2005, 07:49:16 PM
I had an accident in February 2005 and an arthroscopy in March, and the diagnosis was: the damage of kneecap cartilage (they had to take some fragments out of my knee, because they were blocking my leg).
Had anyone something like this? how about coming back to sport, dancing, mountaineering??? I am asking because it's December and I still have problems with my knee. Going down is an awful thing. I still do not run. And so on.

I am also diagnosed with chondromalacia patellae and waiting for the next operation (doctor is supposing that I have my ACL or PCL torn... my knee isn't very stable... but another doctor said that my CLs are OK... and they also have different oppinions about my chondromalacia)...

Asia
Title: Re: kneecap cartilage breaking... how about recovery???
Post by: shade on December 22, 2005, 12:33:26 PM
Asia,

Sorry about your knee problems.  It sounds like with differing doctor opinions maybe you need another OS to look at your situation and get another opinion.   It is very hard to cope with all this and then have doctor's who disagree.  Having treatment options always helps......
Are you wearing a brace for knee stability?  Just wondering because that might really help you with stairs and just getting around in general.....
Let us know how you are doing.  ~Shade

Title: Re: kneecap cartilage breaking... how about recovery???
Post by: goblinek on December 22, 2005, 11:39:03 PM
thanks for replying!
I've asked 3 doctors, here are their diagnoses:
1. chondromalacia, hialuronate injections needed
2. probably one of CLs damaged, reconstruction needed
3. chondromalacia, maybe one of CLs damaged, arthroscopy and maybe reconstruction needed

Injections are very expensive here and not 100% potent... that is why I decided to have next arthroscopy so they can see what is wrong... I will have it in June...

I do not use a brace because my knee has been much more stable for about 3 weeks of VERY hard exercises:) but it is still "not mine"... and hurts...

Asia
Title: Re: kneecap cartilage breaking... how about recovery???
Post by: shade on December 22, 2005, 11:50:14 PM
Asia,

I agree about the injections being expensive and not 100% - I tried them and did not get much relief, but still think it was worth a shot....
Having an arthroscopic surgery is the best way for the surgeon to get a look and hopefully you'll get anything repaired that is necessary.
Good luck.  ~Shade
Title: Re: kneecap cartilage breaking... how about recovery???
Post by: misshilde on December 28, 2005, 07:16:19 PM
Hi, I had LR and patella debridement last week..chondromalicia or whatever it's called..anyway the way my doc explained it was..he cleaned the track which looked terrible,(bad "crabmeat" if you ask me) then broke the bone underneath to make it heal itself and hopefully add new cartledge..weird, because he also removed a bonespur on the outside of the patella..which means there it was trying to heal itself and only made it worse..confusing..but anyway I'm doing great..no pain and walking..sometimes it feels like my knee doesn't line up, but then again it's only been a week..either way scoping it was the best thing for me..so hopefully you'll get some help too..good luck and happy new year

hilde
ps going back to teach abllet on Jan 3rd and expect no problems