Dr Saithna is a multi-award winning, sports injury knee surgeon. He prides himself on delivering the highest standards of care with a compassionate and patient-centered approach.
Dr Saithna holds several honorary professorships and has published approximately 150 research articles relating to orthopedic surgery. Dr Saithna has received major awards from the Arthroscopy Association of North America (Richard O'Connor Award) and the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK, (King James IV Professorship), for his work in improving the outcomes of patients undergoing anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction surgery.
Dr Saithna has a particular interest in sports because he has personally competed at a high level. He held a sports scholarship for triathlon during his time at university and continues to participate in competitive cycling. In 2012 he cycled the full route of the Tour de France (3,497 km), one day ahead of the professional race, in order to raise money for Leukaemia and Lymphoma research. His team were humbled and honoured to be named in the Independent on Sunday 2013 Happy List which names “100 outstanding people whose volunteering, caring, fundraising, mentoring, charity founding or selflessness makes Britain a more contented, supportive, better-adjusted and happier place”. Through his sporting career, Dr Saithna has experienced knee injury and subsequent surgery, and he believes that this gives him a unique insight into looking after patients with musculoskeletal injuries.
- King James IV Professor, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Honorary Professor, Nottingham Trent University
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, Liverpool University
- Adjunct Clinical Faculty, Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences
Dr Saithna is a member of the following Professional Societies -
- Arthroscopy Journal, Editorial Board
- SANTI - Scientific ACL NeTwork International Study Group
- ISAKOS – International Society of Arthoscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopedic Sports Medicine
- ESSKA – European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy
Summary of Education
Dr Saithna, MD graduated from Birmingham Medical School and undertook his residency training in the Warwick Orthopedic Training Program, UK. Details of his extensive orthopaedic sports medicine fellowship training are available via the “Fellowships” tab. Below is a summary of his undergraduate and postgraduate education and certification.
- FRCS (T&O), Royal College of Surgeons, 2012
- Intercollegiate Specialty Board Examination, 2012
- MSc Health Sciences (Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery), University of Warwick 2010
- Diploma in Sports & Exercise Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 2009
- MRCSEd, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 2002
- MBChB, University of Birmingham 2001
- BMedSci(Hons), University of Birmingham 1999