PRICE is a mnemonic for remembering the rehabilitation regime of Protection, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation
Easy to remember if you have any acute knee incident:
- Protect - immobiliser, splint - depending on severity and situation..
- Rest - give the knee a chance to heal by not over-stressing it and triggering inflammation
- Ice - use a pack of frozen peas wrapped in a towel, or a proper cryotherapy unit to cool the knee and reduce the tendency to swell.
- Compression - firm crepe bandage or firm commercial wrap to limit swelling.
- Elevation - putting the knee up wherever possible, particularly if possible higher than the heart - to reduce swelling.
What Is the Evidence for Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation Therapy in the Treatment of Ankle Sprains in Adults? van den Bekerom MPJ, Struijs PAA, Blankevoort L, Welling L, van Dijk N and Kerkhoffs GMMJ. J Athl Train. 2012 Aug; 47(4): 435–443.
See also -