An anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction is an operation to replace a damaged anterior cruciate ligament with a ligament graft or a synthetic ligament.
Page updated July 2023 by Dr Sheila Strover (Clinical Editor)
Graft options for ACL reconstruction
There are two common options for the graft material:
- Autograft - using the patient's own tissues for the reconstruction
- Allograft - using donor tissues rather than the patient's own tissue
Artificial ligaments and xenograft (animal material) remain options but are seldom considered.
There are different technical procedures available to the surgeon, but the tendency is towards all-inside single-bundle reconstruction.
Calf pain after ACL surgery with hamstring graft
Calf pain is common after a hamstrings graft for ACL reconstruction.
- Quadriceps tendon graft
Discussion about quadriceps (quads) tendon graft, and also other graft options.
- recovery of gracilis after hamstring aclr?!
Discussion about struggles after hamstrings harvest.
- ACL Repair at 62?
Interesting chat about the need to consider ACL reconstruction after coping well with instability for many years..
There is currently no content classified with this term.
ACL reconstruction -
- Anterior cruciate ligament injury
- ACL allograft
- ACL autograft
- Synthetic graft
2014 - Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction – evolution and current concepts - by Dr Sheila Strover (Clinical Editor)
2012 - Double bundle, traditional single bundle or 'more anatomic' single bundle ACL reconstruction? - by Dr (Mr) Paul Trikha (Knee Surgeon)
2010 - Graft Choice in ACL reconstructions - The Place of Allografts - by Dr (Mr) Ian McDermott (Knee Surgeon)
More from the Experts -
- Expert view - 2012 - A new look at the topic of 'Informed Consent' for ACL reconstruction - by Dr (Mr) Paul Trikha (Knee Surgeon)
- Expert view - 2012 - What kind of ACL reconstruction have you had? - by Dr (Mr) Paul Trikha (Knee Surgeon)
- Expert view - 2010 - Anatomical ACL - by Prof Adrian Wilson (Knee Surgeon)
- Expert view - 2011 - The concept of anatomical ACL reconstruction over the last five to seven years - by Prof Adrian Wilson (Knee Surgeon)
- Expert view - Predicting the need for ACL reconstruction - by Dr (Mr) Ramakrishnan (Ram) Venkatesh (Knee Surgeon)