Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1153009 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 202
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6540 on: October 14, 2018, 10:45:34 AM »
Hi Tehtoo

Welcome once again to KneeGuru - tough second time round - if I recall correctly, you are the third time that somebody has reruptured their knee in about ten years - very rare indeed.

No need to to inform you, take care with your rehab - don`t rush it, read some of the previous threads on this web page.  Keep posting.

ps   how did you rupture your leg this time round????   JohnK/ Manchester UK

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline madvillain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 195
« Reply #6541 on: October 18, 2018, 03:27:54 AM »
5 years out from RPT surgery.  Never even think about my knee anymore.  Have been very fortunate with rehab...I listened to my body but pushed myself everyday once I started physical therapy.  To all the newbies, it WILL get better and your body will heal...be patient but compliant.  It is NOT a race to see who can get better the fastest, so please donít compare your injury and rehab to others but rather take the advice given on this thread and take charge of your own recovery. Thanks John (and all those others I went through this with, you know who you are) for all you do to keep this thread going...it really did save me from my anxiety and gave me hope through a VERY difficult time. Peace and recovery to all.

Yea just logged in tonight to say the same.   I had a bilateral ruptures a little under 4 years ago now.  I mean, I still think about my knees and there is always a little more tension going down stairs, stopping on the tennis court or going down a mountain but nothing that is stopping me from doing any of those things again at a high level.  THe knee won't ever feel the same but with hard work and smart rehab you can enjoy life 100% again and return to high levels of activity.

My post history has details of what I did but in general immediately after surgery focus not on ROM but any sort of walker suppored walking in brace and quad iso sets (google it) you can do.  The main thing first few weeks is too arrest muscle loss.  Then you can start working in ROM work and heel slides after a few weeks.  Then onto rowing machine and pool (if available) work.  Then biking, then waking on uneven ground (seriously this is the best, beaches are good, so are hills) and then running and cutting and then lifting heavy weights and so on.

You feeling good John?  Saw your post first when I logged on.  You are def doing great work in support of this community.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6542 on: October 18, 2018, 06:01:33 AM »
Hi Madvillain

Appreciate your comments - That`s my goal to inspire others who are going  through the trauma of a RPT injury.

Best

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Lairy75

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6543 on: October 26, 2018, 08:56:59 PM »
Hi folks,   I haven't posted on here for a year.   I ruptured patella tendon in July last year.  I had straight leg brace for 6 weeks then made good progress in physio then a leg group.   I spent a lot of time in gym focusing on quads .   I've been really happy with progress. I was discharged by physio in may at which time I started a circuit training class.   I've managed to join in with most exercises but the reason I'm getting in touch is that I still can't really run properly .    I battle on doing my shuttles but my knee swells up a lot and I just don't have the strength in it .   I also still worry about my other knee and whether that will go also.   Any advice would be appreciated     

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6544 on: October 26, 2018, 10:08:44 PM »
Hi Lairy75

I still cannot run even after 13 years, matters not - I have about 135, and thankful I can do most activities but take extra care when it is raining or snow and ice.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support