Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1136795 times)

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 122
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6510 on: May 13, 2018, 12:18:01 PM »
My apologies for the lack of updates. Things have been busy!

But major event this past week: for the first time since my injury on 8/28/2016, I can finally walk putting full, 100% weight on my right quad tendon 100% WITHOUT ASSISTANCE - NO walker, NO cane, nothing. I am finally able to walk, albeit somewhat clumsily disabledly, you know...but I am WALKING with some ability with both legs - a feat I have not been able to accomplish since the morning of 8/28/2016 when my injury happened.

So excited to FINALLY be getting strength, function, and ability back.

EDIT: Oh geeze!! I apologize patellar tendon folks. I meant to post in the quadriceps tendon thread. Oh, well. I guess some of us go between the forums right? :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:31:11 PM by TurboCoder3000 »

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6511 on: May 14, 2018, 04:19:17 PM »
Hey yíall,

This Wednesday will be 7 weeks post operation and I am still making steady progress. However, I am still struggling with the mental aspect of this situation and injury. I just wish I was at the point in my recovery where I could ride a bicycle outside. The weather has been so nice but all I am able to do outside is stand/sit in the sunshine.

My surgeon isnít giving me an adjustable brace, he said I would be fine without one, just be cautious for a few more weeks. I was able to achieve a knee flexion of 74 degrees today at physical therapy. I am walking fine now, with an almost normal gait. I still canít operate my truckís clutch properly, I need more strength and dexterity. I hope to be able to drive by early to mid June but, definitely by July first, for sure.

Hoping and wishing all a speedy recovery, take care.

-Nic 

Offline BendTheKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #6512 on: May 16, 2018, 06:51:23 AM »
Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Justin, and I partially tore my left patella tendon 40% jumping straight up playing ultimate frisbee (had really bad tendonosis/tendonitis in that knee prior).  Kind of still in shock over it all - never thought something like this would ever happen to me.  I also would play basketball at least once a week, which seems to be a recurring theme for this injury.

Doc is recommending surgery, but my wife is out of town so no one to take care of me for a week, so I had to put it off for a week.  I already had to wait almost 2 weeks prior to get in to the orthopedic doctor to get an MRI ordered, as my insurance doesn't pay for any urgent care centers that do MRI.  So it'll be able 4 weeks from the time I tore it to the time I have surgery - from what I read so far, not the best thing. 

My knee actually doesn't feel that bad now, it is sore/stiff if I try to bend it more than 90 degrees, but I can get around with a hinged knee brace if I walk slow.  So going into surgery to make it worse before it will get better will be hard for me.  I'm hoping that since it is a partial tear, it will be a little faster/easier to rehab.  I have read 93 pages so far on this thread, and haven't read about many partial tears, so I am not sure how different it is.  I plan on trying to read the rest of this thread before my surgery - as I have a ton of questions and haven't had the chance to really talk to the doctor about it.

Anyway, I thought I'd just say hi and introduce myself.  This seems like a great forum.

-Justin

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 200
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6513 on: May 16, 2018, 07:33:00 AM »
Hi Justin
Welcome to the RPT thread - the best webpage to ensure that you receive the correct advice.

You have sustained a very serious and rare injury with a long rehab process.   It`s good that you have been reading posts and am sure that you have already learnt a lot.  Lots of buddies on this webpage to answer your questions and give you lots of advice.
Where do you live?    Keep posting - take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline BendTheKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6514 on: May 17, 2018, 12:40:26 AM »
I am from Reno, NV.

I'm glad it is a partial tear, as I don't think I could handle seeing my kneecap not being where it is supposed to be!  At the same time though, I wish that the surgery was already over with.  I still have a week to dwell on everything, and I am an anxious person as is, so it is hard. 

Thanks for putting together all of this information!  My doctor really hasn't spent much time with me about it.  He told me that it is an "outpatient" surgery, and that's about it.  I have to schedule a second appointment with him to try to get more information, as I know it isn't as casual as they make it sound.

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6515 on: May 17, 2018, 09:29:42 PM »
Hello everyone!

Justin, welcome and sorry to hear about your injury. I donít know about your situation but, if thereís a chance that you could forego surgery and the tendon will heal on its own, I would go that route. The orthopedic surgeon you are seeing sounds reserved and guarded, you may want to seek a second opinion, depending on your insurance situation. I recently suffered a complete rupture of my left patellar tendon and the surgery and rehab are no joke! The recovery pace is so slow compared to other surgeries, I am having a good/quick recovery but it is still killing me, itís been 7 weeks and still have a ways to go. Anyhow, best wishes brother and donít get surgery unless it is absolutely necessary. Get that second opinion and possible second MRI; heck, it may only be 30% percent now, like you said itís already been 4 weeks. Take care!

Offline BendTheKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6516 on: May 18, 2018, 07:19:46 AM »
Hi Rupture!  Sorry to hear about your injury as well, but I am glad you are having a good quick recovery!

The doctor's assistant did a couple of tests trying to have me lift my leg and I couldnt really do it, so she said she was pretty sure i tore my patellar tendon.  Doctor then came in for 3 minutes and said, "do you have any questions?"?  I was kind of in shock so I didn't know what to ask.  Then they left, got me an order for an MRI and told me to rush down to the hospital to get it done.  The next day, the assistant called me and said your patellar tendon is 40% torn, you need to have surgery.  I wanted to do some research, so I asked them if I could try therapy to see if it got any better.  They said it was a big risk and I could rupture the entire tendon.  That's about all of the information I have gotten out of them.

You would think it would be standard practice to have an appointment where they go over my MRI results and then explain the pros and cons of having surgery, vs just trying to rehab the knee.  Then you would think they would tell me about the surgery, what to expect, and how long it typically takes to recover.  I haven't gotten any of that information from them, which kind of frustrates me.  I was just told it was an outpatient surgery and I'd be in an immobilizer for 6 weeks.  So now I am having to schedule another appointment to get them to tell me more about everything.  Frustrating to say the least.  I really don't want to have surgery, but I don't know what the outlook for my knee will be if I don't.  I imagine I'd probably rupture it eventually.

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6517 on: May 18, 2018, 12:36:00 PM »
Justin: Hey, thanks for the well wishes, I am hoping good things for you too!

Like I said, you may want to get a second opinion. Think about this, a few years ago I was having shoulder pain and movement limitations so, I scheduled an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. I was surprised when only after a few minutes and the was my initial visit, the surgeon said, I can have your surgery scheduled for next week... I was shocked and said, donít you think we should try something else before going right to surgery? He looks me in the eye and said, What outcome did you expect when your in a SURGEONís office... I left without getting scheduled for surgery and after some dietary adjustments and some yoga all the problems I had were gone. I could have had that surgery and it wasnít necessary, that experience taught me a great deal about the medical industry.

I can assure you, if I had any other options, I wouldnít have had surgery 7 weeks ago. I had zero options, my tendon was completely severed and my patella (kneecap) was up in my lower thigh region. There was no way the tendon and kneecap would rejoin together without surgery, I had to have surgery.

If you are able to allow it to heal on its own, you could avoid surgery. Best case scenario, no surgery and you go on through life just fine, no more injuries. Now, if you do need surgery later down the road, it least you tried other options first. One route allows for the possibility of avoiding surgery and the other go directly into surgery, in the end the choice is yours to decide. Everyone is different, I like to avoid putting my life in someone elseís hands, even if that means more work and trust on my part.

Best of luck to you, I will be following your posts and journey, I wish for you only the best! Take care.

Offline BendTheKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6518 on: May 18, 2018, 05:52:16 PM »
Thanks RuptureLife!  I am getting a second opinion from a doctor who repaired my friend's ruptured patellar tendon, but I can't get in until next Wednesday.  They both work at the same place, so hopefully my first doctor doesn't get mad at me.  I am just worried that I am waiting too long to get this taken care of, since it has almost been 4 weeks already.

I definitely don't feel comfortable with my first doctor, as it seems that I am just another name on a sheet of paper and he really doesn't seem to care how I feel. 

I guess I'd rather wait a little longer though and have a doctor I feel comfortable with, versus a doctor who just wants to rush me through everything without explaining things.

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6519 on: May 18, 2018, 07:58:55 PM »
just a maybe as a source of hope, there's a guy on youtube that chronicled his full patella tendon rupture and surgery...even a video showing the accident that caused it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxhMTzGz6Ec

Took him 9 months to get back on his surfboard, but he can now run and do everything he did before the accident.
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

Offline BendTheKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6520 on: May 20, 2018, 06:55:26 AM »
Is anyone aware of anybody who healed from a partially torn patellar tendon without having surgery?  I read a few things online that said to keep the leg in an immobilizer for 3-6 weeks.  I don't recall reading about anyone who successfully recovered doing that, but I figured maybe there was someone on this board who has...

My leg has started to feel much better.  Of course, I can't do anything crazy yet, and i only have 90 degrees of ROM in my partial torn knee, but it has been steadily improving over the course of the last 4 weeks.  I'd rather be conservative if there is evidence that this can heal without surgery.

Thanks in advance!
-Justin

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6521 on: May 22, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »
Justin: Sorry it taken a few days to reply but, I have been in contact with my mentor throughout my recovery. When I first suffered my rupture I found a guy named, Kyle Newell, he has been instrumental in my recovery.

I talked to Kyle yesterday and he told me about his brothers partial tear that healed without surgery. You may want to reach out to him, even though you only have a partial tear, he can help. Kyle had helped people all over the world for almost 10 years.

Look up Kyle Newell online, he owns a gym in Hillbrough NJ, and he also has a ton of vids online too. Dude, knows his stuff and is super helpful, let me know. Best wishes at your 2nd opinion doctor visit tomorrow.

-Nic

Offline BendTheKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6522 on: May 23, 2018, 01:34:43 AM »
Ugh, somehow all of my post got deleted.  Here we go again...

Nic: I hope your recovery is continuing to go well.  It is nice to know that someone out there that you don't know cares about your injury.  If you ever need someone additional to talk to, don't hesitate to send me message. 

I am really struggling mentally with this.  I am a very anxious person, and my anxiety is off the charts.  I am hoping that the new doctor gives me the option to conservatively treat this.  It has gotten a lot better over the past month, and I am able to do a straight leg raise now with no pain.  I am trying not to overdo anything until I hear from the doctor.  He is a surgeon too, so I'm hoping he will at least give me other options.  If I have to have surgery, I'll probably need to get some kind of mood stabilizer to help me through it initially.  I am already ready to give up sports that require a lot of jumping just because I don't want to go through this again.

I was actually watching some of Kyle's videos online the other day.  Funny that you mention him.  He seems like a nice guy.  How do you suggest I reach out to him?

I'll let you know what my doctor says tomorrow.  Cross your fingers for me.

Offline BendTheKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6523 on: May 23, 2018, 11:12:38 PM »
Update after my latest doctor's appointment:

Good news for now...the second doctor doesn't think I need surgery.  He said it is hard to tell by the MRI if it is an acute tear, or just tendonosis but most of my tendon looks good.

He said that since I have had issues with tendonitis for a while, and since I was having a hard time doing anything before the jump that hurt me, that he thinks I just really aggravated my knee.  I was able to do a straight leg raise (couldn't get to 100% locked without pain, but almost got there), and when he was pushing, poking and pulling on my knee nothing hurt.  I told him it has gotten a lot better within the month since I injured it.  I couldn't bend my knee when I hurt it, couldn't do a straight leg raise, and if i moved it weird there was sharp pain.  All of that is gone now.  I just can't bend it past 95% yet, but that could be because I've been in a brace for 4 weeks and I'm sure I'll have to work on my ROM.

He seemed to know what he was talking about since he is a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon.  So I am hoping and praying that this will get better without surgery.

He thinks that it'll heal with rest/ice/physical therapy and that I might make it back to sports in a few months.

I guess time will tell, but it definitely is feeling better and I am feeling better now that I know I don't need to rush into surgery.

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6524 on: May 23, 2018, 11:55:42 PM »
Justin:

Been thinking of you all day, sorry I havenít checked in yet. I just got back from the regular doctor myself, got some bug I canít shake and needed some antibiotics.

I am very happy for you and I a glad you got the second opinion, I personally didnít think you were a good candidate for surgery. Honestly, I wouldnít do anything too strenuous or extraordinary for 4-6 months, you could come back slowly doing more and more each week but, I think you shouldnít push too hard until that time. Just be cautious, youíre a lucky dude, the surgery sucks!

Check out my YouTube channel, ďPedals and PlantsĒ or Instagram, ďPedals.and.PlantsĒ - I have been posting about my surgery/recovery. Also, you can DM me on one of those platforms, to exchange contact information.

One more thing, I have had HUGE benefits for these supplements and they help tendinitis too. First is, Cissus Quadrandularis, next I take flaxseed oil pills and I also take vegan glucosamine & MSM. What is MSM (methylsulfonylmethane)? Methylsulfonylmethane, also known as dimethyl sulfone or DMSO2, is the oxidized form of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), an organic sulfur compound from lignan. Itís an organic sulfur-containing compound thatís used to improve immune function, lower inflammation and help restore healthy bodily tissue.

Again, so happy for you, take it easy the next few months and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Best Wishes!