Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1129153 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 197
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6480 on: April 06, 2018, 05:53:39 PM »
Hi Nic

I did not take any supplements.

Time off work - depends on transportation - by car, because you cannot drive until you receive the ok from the OS i e  can you depress the brake in an emergency stop, also you may invalidate your insurance cover.   I was off work nearly four months.

I do not recall any reference to anybody being vegan.

Trust this kills todays questions? keep them coming, and then you will be better prepared for your PT.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Kash

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #6481 on: April 06, 2018, 06:24:07 PM »
For supplements I take

Vit b
Vit c
Vit d

Glucosamine and chondrotine

Probiotic capsules

Cod liver oil

And daily bone broth soup

Offline Immy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #6482 on: April 07, 2018, 02:04:04 PM »
Rupturelife - Yes definitely increase your protein intake whilst recovering, you may also want to up your magnesium/vitamin D intake unless you're eating foods that are high in magnesium.  Most people lack this important mineral/vitamin.  I did intermittent fasting (18-20 hours) for the first couple of months whilst I had the injury to increase my Growth Hormone levels, when you're not eating your body also goes into repair mode (please do your own research,  before doing any of the above)

In terms of using a cane, I would suggest doing whatever you are most comfortable, with the least amount of risk.  I stopped using the crutches around the house after the 2nd/3rd weeks.  when you walk outside it's very difficult at first, the uneven ground, terrain, gradient... it's like you have to learn how to walk all over again. Do be careful when going out, as walking inside the house without any aids may give you confidence, but when you're outside, it's very different. 

I was off work for a total of 3 months (desk job), I walk to work (1.5 miles away), so this was enough time to get out of the brace and walk without any aids, albeit with a limp at first.

I would try and avoid the pain pills as much as you can, it doesn't help with recovery, try ice and elevation.  Eat nutritious food, avoid junk, as that'll only increase the inflammation. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:48:21 PM by Immy »
Aged 40. Left patellar tendon rupture on 09/07/17 playing football. Repaired on 12/07/17

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6483 on: April 09, 2018, 12:30:12 PM »
Hey you guys!

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. Keep them coming, I need all the suggestions and help I can get. Yesterday and last night were tough, I cannot not find any comfort. All I am able to do, is stand on my good leg or lay down on my back. Sitting in any chair, other than a tallish barstool like chair, causes pain and pressure (hypertension), after only about five minutes I have to stand up, sitting isn’t even a real option. I am miserable, prior to this injury, I have only and always slept on my stomach. Now, for the last two weeks I have had to sleep on my back. I can only sleep on my back if I am totally exhausted and when I finally fall asleep I only sleep for one or two hours and I can’t just fall back asleep. I have been getting less than 5 hours each night since the injury, I feel like I am going crazy! The total lack of mobility and inability to find comfort is driving me crazy. I have always been independent and now I can barely take care of myself and basic chores around the house. Hell, I can’t even dress myself, I can’t put a sock or shoe on the foot on my left injured leg.

How did you guys cope with immobility and having ask for help doing things?

I go back for my first meeting/appointment with my orthopedic surgeon today. I hope he gives me good news and gives me the “all clear” to shower and take the brace off or gives me another brace that bends or is flexible.

Thanks for listening/reading and thanks in advance for your help!

-Nic

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6484 on: April 09, 2018, 12:39:53 PM »
Hi Nic

As I have mentioned before - try placing a pillow/cushion between your knees, this way the pillow takes the weight of your injured knee.

Best  JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6485 on: April 10, 2018, 05:56:58 PM »
Greetings,

I went in for my first visit with my surgeon, my post-op appointment, 12 days after my surgery. They took off the dressing and tape that was covering my staples, there was virtually no blood or seepage around the incision, which they said was good, I also had minimal swelling. Then they removed the staples and had me, while I was laying flat on the examination table, try to independently raise my leg off the table. I could flex and activate my quad muscle but, I couldn’t raise it at all. The surgeon gave me some assisted exercises to do to help “wake my leg up” and he said that in a few days I should be able to lift my leg independently. This seems to be a normal step in the recovery process but, what are you all’s experiences with this situation and do you have any tips or suggestions to help me regain the ability to lift my leg after surgery. I am doing foot pumps and I and doing quadricep flex and hold exercises, anything else you guys can think of, please let me know and thanks for taking the time to read and possibly respond. Best Wishes.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6486 on: April 10, 2018, 06:30:51 PM »
Hi  Nic

The start of a long road to recovery - listen to your leg - slowly at first and it will come back, but don`t rush it - the tendon has got to heal.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

How is the reading going of the previous posts?

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6487 on: April 10, 2018, 08:41:00 PM »
JohnK,

Thanks, it is becoming very clear to me that my recovery will indeed be a “Long and Winding Road”, love the song but, not the reality of my situation... lol! All jokes aside, this injury seems to be a teacher, a revealer of ones own strengths, weaknesses, and fears. I have always been of the belief that, everything happens for a reason and I truly feel that I will learn more about myself and my own abilities and shortcomings throughout this recovery. I am coming around to embrace this situation as a form of growth; physically, mentally, and emotionally. I am currently cultivating the belief that, I am like a caterpillar and just like the caterpillar I too am going through a metamorphosis, where I will undergo a transformation into the next phase of my existence. I am more open to this situation and beginning to embrace this with opportunity and optimism, I think I will be a better person for enduring and overcoming this unexpected situation.

Concerning my reading, I am only on page 20. I will be doing more reading now that I have caught up on my grading and writing lesson plans, for the sun to use while I am still away from work and the classroom.

Thanks and best to all!

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6488 on: April 15, 2018, 05:17:45 PM »
Hello,

I have been reading a great deal almost 70 pages but, there is one question I haven’t seen properly addressed. That is, “What is the average time to be able to lift your leg?” It has been almost 3 weeks since my surgery and I can’t lift my leg up yet... Could you all chime in and say when you regained the ability to lift your leg, thanks.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 05:48:57 PM by RuptureLife »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6489 on: April 16, 2018, 01:36:39 PM »
Hi Nic

Are you back in a plaster cast or a brace - I think that you are asking you leg too much to lift it at 3 weeks - hang in there, it takes time.

Best

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6490 on: April 16, 2018, 05:17:20 PM »
Hey John!

Luckily I am in a removable velcro strapped brace and not a plastered cast. I am not worried now that I am realizing it may take 4-5 weeks before I can lift my leg. I have been doing the recommended foot pumps and quad flex or contractions. I hope they help me regain the ability to lift my leg. I am in no rush but I did want to make sure I wasn’t falling behind in my recovery.

This injury has the ability to encourage, deep introspection and self reflection with the immobility and isolation it provides it’s victim. I have never thought so much about so many things, society, relationships, and so much more.

I am hoping that I can get a ROM brace when I go in for my 4 week post-op, maybe set it to 20 degrees. I think by next week I will be able to tolerate some very little bending, nothing crazy just a little more movement.

Best Wishes!

Offline Invincible17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #6491 on: April 17, 2018, 01:04:11 PM »
I’m now just over 5 months post op and have just started jogging in physiotherapy. Feels really awkward and uncomfortable at the moment but hopefully gets easier. Currently go to gym 3 or 4 times a week and swimming twice, have lots of good exercises given to me by my physio. Still a bit awkward walking up and down stairs and hills but seems to be slowly improving every day.
As John mentioned sleeping with a pillow between your legs does seem to help, I still use a small pillow between mine.
Took me 6 weeks before I could straight leg lift, but I would follow your physiotherapist advice.
I found having a routine very helpful to me, make sure you do your exercises at certain times of the day, shower at x o’clock, electro therapy at x o’clock etc. Make sure you don’t miss any exercises, look for signs of improvement... this kept me positive as I could see I was getting better. Took me just over 3 months before I returned to work at shorter hours, but now back to full hours.
Rupturelife I used an exercise band to pick up my leg on and off a footstool, the belt from a dressing gown also works. It’s hard going in the brace but I found the movement came back steadily after the brace was taken off. I’m still having physiotherapy twice a week which will be coming to an end shortly.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6492 on: April 17, 2018, 02:09:12 PM »
Hi Folks

Just  to mention that I place a small pillow between my legs in bed -
not sexy, but it does the trick and takes the pain away from the injured even after thirteen years.

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6493 on: April 20, 2018, 06:01:24 PM »
Hey Y’all!

Today is 3 weeks & 2 days post-op for me and I believe that I am progressing well. I have removed the full leg immobilizing brace and have transitioned into a 7mm thick knee sleeve. I can now walk with just a cane for safety and additional stabilization. I can walk without it but, I am just being cautious, next week or so I will likely abandon the cane too, just like I did with my crutches. No issues with full weight bearing and I haven’t noticed any swelling. I have started some very light and restrictive bending exercises, while seated on the floor, I can go from a 100% straight leg to a bend where I manually lift my knee to tension and it is about 1-2 inches off the ground. Then I lower the knee back down to the ground, I have been doing about 200 per day, sets of 20. As, I slowly warm my knee up, I get more rom, I get the 2 inches by the end of the 2 or 3 sets I do at a time.

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 249
« Reply #6494 on: April 20, 2018, 06:27:35 PM »
RL. Have to say I am surprised, nay shocked, at the progression from fixed brace to sleeve.
I confess to being at the “ give it hell” end of the spectrum, but would myself have advocated an adjustable knee brace for several months. Although Iwas back hiking six weeks after RQT surgery I did it with the security of a brace locked at a maximum 120 Deg of ROM. Interested in John’s opinion!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013