Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1125513 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 197
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6465 on: February 25, 2018, 03:11:44 PM »
Hi Penttithefinn

Interesting post, just adding once again a little tip -

Sleep with a pillow/cushion between your knees - takes the pain away from the injured knee.

John/K Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Penttithefinn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6466 on: February 26, 2018, 06:38:50 PM »
Thanks John42,
yes I do and firstly tried this after having problems with pain due to muscle spasms in my legs which started a while after a bad back injury. At the time my back seemed to give far less pain than my legs when sleeping, thankfully a physio altered my stretching regime and hey presto both improved.   

Offline craigc73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #6467 on: March 07, 2018, 06:00:24 PM »
It has been Suggested that I post in here also:

Hello good to be here. I ruptured my right patella tendon pretty good November 10 2017 and surgery Nov 11 2017 simply stepping off a curb and my leg gave way . After three months I was cleared for PT as the ortho said my tendon was healed up. I have the brace locked straight when walking still. Maybe this will change this week at my ortho appointment. I have had four PT appointments so far. My first I was at 50 hard degrees. Second apt was 60 and third was 70 . My fourth appointment we could only get to 65 for some reason and was difficult getting more. I am so discouraged as to how long this is taking and I wonder if I need to be doing something different. Has anyone had or heard of recovery with getting range of motion back taking this long or longer? Its frustrating as I can not drive and have to rely on rides as it is my right leg. I am rather tall 6'8 guy but that shouldn't make a difference. Thanks for your time.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6468 on: March 07, 2018, 07:12:09 PM »
Hi Craig

Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru -

Patience is the keyword - you are in actual fact bang on course and the next milestone is 90ROM which should be reached at about the 4 month stage. It could be as long as twelve before you reach near normality of 130/140ROM.  Suggest that you have your good leg measured on your next visit to the PT as this will give you an idea what to reach.
John/KManchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Penttithefinn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #6469 on: March 07, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
Hi Craigc73, I am afraid I have had a completely different and better outcome.
I had a total RPT on Friday 13th October 2017 and had surgery within 24hrs, which included cerclage wires. I was up to 90 deg ROM within a month but never got beyond 110 deg with the wires still in place. I had the wires removed 15/2/2017 and have not had a brace at any time. I was encouraged to use elbow crutches with partial weight bearing from a couple of weeks after surgery, and whilst the wires were in place I had the confidence to push my ROM knowing the tendons wouldn't give way. Having had them taken out I was a bit more nervous, but my physio gave me the confidence to push to 120 deg and as of last week I can walk up stairs normally. So after 20 weeks I can walk on the flat with no problem, ride my bicycle on a turbo trainer with no pain, and can climb steps, although I am still not in a hurry to push beyond 120 deg ROM. I have suffered quite a bit of muscle atrophy but I am already starting to improve. It seems the surgery I had and no brace seems to be very unusual (Norfolk and Suffolk NHS), which doesn't help you, and so the only advice I can give is, massage regularly, and keep stretching your quads, walk as much as you can, and lastly be patient. All the best !

Offline craigc73

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6470 on: March 13, 2018, 02:43:32 AM »
Thank you all for the encouragement. I am now without the locking brace and I am still able to walk around but my right leg still is pretty stiff. I am trying to get it to bend as I walk but seems like it enjoys staying a bit stiff/straight. I have been doing my leg squeezes, when sitting I have been doing some heel slides or I will sit on the reclining sofa with a rolled up blanket under my knee having it bend as much as I can take. I am sure when I have Physical Therapy again aside from them trying to get more ROM as they have been, maybe they can help me in the way I am walking. Must be a mind over matter thing walking and bending, as I have been in that awful locking brace for about 4 months. 65 degrees last visit each time going up so far and I am only like five appointments into it. I know this is a long recovery and everyone's success is different, I accept that fact now reading everyone's posts and experiences that it will take time. Of course I am always going to have a little discouragement and jealousy to those who have faster ROM than I but being here helps me with my recovery. Thanks again everyone!

Offline LondonNiall

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6471 on: April 01, 2018, 02:49:40 PM »
Nearly 9 years since I did mine.good luck folks
25th Aug 09; Complete rupture of right patella tendon with surgery the following day;
18th Oct 09; Snapped the wire support whilst exercising;
21st Dec 09: Surgery to remove screw and wire support.
28th Mar 10: Played football again

Offline Kash

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6472 on: April 03, 2018, 08:52:56 PM »
Hi All

I recently ruptured by patellar Tendon during a casual game of squash on the 10th March. Along with this my head hit the wall and I fractured my skull as well.
Probably one of the worst turn outs from a game of squash...ever.

The surgeons at Northwick Park Hospital in Harrow were able to operate on the tendon the very next day.
Big thanks to the NHS.

I was sent home a couple of days after in cylinder cast. I was able to speak to the surgeon after the operation, she indicated that the tendon was quite badly torn up, due to previous tendonopathy but they'd sewed it back up together and tested the tendon to 90 degrees no problem.

The rehab cycle given by the OS was 20 degrees every two weeks until 90 degrees would be reached.

Two weeks after the OP the cylinder cast came off and I have a leg brace fitted at 20 degrees.

The physio in the hospital didn't look too promising,  so I took on another physio who had been recommended to me.
He gave me a list of exercises and recommended the use of a tens machine such as compex 4.0 in order to deal with the atrophy in my vmo. This has been going quite well.

Also I read through the previous posts about the cpm , would anyone recommend it?
And if so, from what point in the rehab?

Also could John please send me any info for ptr?

My email is [email protected] Com

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #6473 on: April 05, 2018, 07:03:37 PM »
Hello everyone!

So happy to have found this forum, I need all the help I can get and I think this place is what I needed to guide me and help me overcome all the obstacles ahead.

I am a 44 year old single male, I live in north Florida and I suffered a complete patella rupture or tear of my left knee on March 23rd and I had surgery on March 28th. I slipped on some sand while stepping out of my schools parking lot, I was injured at work so they had me file workers compensation paperwork before I could go for treatment.

Since my surgery they have me in a total, full leg immobilizing brace. They told me to rest and do weight bearing as tolerable.

I donít go back to see my surgeon until April 9th.

I am a high school teacher, I do have a desk but, I can just sit all day and for me I have more pain while seated. This full leg brace has my leg stuck out like a kickstand while seated and I quickly get pain in my knee and have to stand or lay down. I am wondering how long will the surgeon clear me from work.

I also hope he letís me start doing something, just resting and laying around is killing me!

I have been able to only take the prescribed hydrocodone in the late afternoon or evenings, I donít have unbearable pain in the mornings but in the evening around supper time, I get a powerful pain and need something to let me get some sleep.

My calf is also very bruised, this happen to anyone else?

Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Best Wishes to All,
Nic
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:43:08 PM by RuptureLife »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6474 on: April 05, 2018, 10:20:39 PM »
Hi RuptureLife

Let me have your e-mail address and then I can send you some useful -

documents   I will direct you tommorow to some very good webpages on this KneeGuru board. Read as many previous posts as possible - 
Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6475 on: April 06, 2018, 01:44:35 AM »
Hey JohnK,

Thanks for the reply and the offer to help! My email address is, [email protected], I worked as a bicycle mechanic and wheel builder before I became a HS teacher. A nippledriver is a tool use to build bicycle wheels, had to explain, didnít want any assumptions or confusion.

I have started to read this thread, from itís origin, back in 2004. I am currently up to page 8 of the 400 something pages in this thread.

I had no idea how serious this injury is, the time it takes to completely recover is crazy! I know people who get total knee replacement walk the day of their surgery.

Thanks again JohnK, I need all the advice and help I can get, I am pretty much alone with this and lord knows I need direction.

-Nic/Tallahassee FL/USA

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6476 on: April 06, 2018, 04:02:42 PM »

Hi RuptureLife
Click on the undermentioned link - will give you heaps of information. I dont see my post of this morning - investigating.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/patellatendonrupture/?multi_permalinks=10156399323968243&comment_id=10156399329708243&notif_id=1523026284288976&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6477 on: April 06, 2018, 04:38:40 PM »
Hello JohnK and everyone!

I am currently on page fourteen, reading, this thread and on that page the topic of diet was brought up and it made me wonder if I am the only person on here who eats a plant based or vegan diet. Please chime in if you are vegan yourself or if you know of anyone else on these boards who have a similar diet as mine. I have been plant based for over five years now and this is the first serious injury that I have had since eating only plant, fruits and roots.

I am thinking of upping my protein intake while in recovery, what other micronutrients, minerals, or supplements would you all suggest?

I have questions about this too... as I am reading through this thread it seems like most of you all are using crutches to get around, week one to four or five after surgery but, I only needed crutches for a day or two after surgery and have only been using a cane to get around in my house. I have not left the house but if I did I would use the crutches then. Is it dangerous to just use a cane or do you all think it is ok?

Also, I find it is painful to elevate my leg, I get a pain behind my knee, like it wanting to flex backwards. I can only last 10-20 minuets when not on the pain pills.

One more, after my surgery, below the knee, around the calf area, I developed dark purple and black bruising. Is this common, anyone else have this happen?

I am learning more everyday but, I originally didnít appreciate the rarity and severity of my injury. How long should I expect to be out of work? How long did yíalls Doctors excuse you from work? My injury happened on the job so I am using workers compensation insurance and benefits. Consequently, I am fearful because it is through workers compensation, they may try to send me back sooner than normal. What is normal or average, I need some type of baseline to compare.

I know I ask a great number of questions, I am a very inquisitive person by nature and this situation or topic is new to me and presents a great many unturned stones. Again, thanks for the help and support!

Best Wishes to All!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6478 on: April 06, 2018, 05:00:02 PM »
Hi Nic

Of course, I recall that I sent you an e-mail this morning pointing you to the correct threads etc, to continue reading up previous posts.   Having read them all, will fill you with vast knowledge.

You will be on crutches for at least a couple of months, then working down to one cane/stick. Avoid wet sidewalks and grass areas.   Sleep with a pillow/cushion between your knees - takes the pain away whilst sleeping.

Best/ JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline RuptureLife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6479 on: April 06, 2018, 05:40:24 PM »
Hey JohnK,

I did receive your email, thank you very much. I didnít mean to come across as unappreciative or lazy, I plan on reading everything you send my way. I just had those questions pop into my head as I was reading page fourteen of this thread. Do you have any quick answers for me?

1) Have you ever had/noticed any vegans on this forum?
2) Average time away from work (high school teacher)?
3) What is your opinion on supplements, yay or nay?

Now, I am off to doa great deal of reading... Lord knows that I cannot do much else...

Best Wishes,
Nic