Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1077552 times)

Offline Invincible17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 7
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6435 on: November 14, 2017, 07:33:45 PM »
Had appointment with surgeon today which is 2 weeks after op. They told me I'm in the brace for 6 more weeks and to stay on 2 crutches, is this normal? Hopefully starting physio next week which is a step in the right direction. Knee seems to be healing well though and the scar is not too bad.

Offline Bascat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 83
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
« Reply #6436 on: November 14, 2017, 09:54:58 PM »
Hi invincible,

Normal to keep the braces on for a while longer yet. Do you have any flex permitted ? Think the crutches depends on how they fixed your knee up. I recall teetering around the house without crutches quite early on but the surgery was designed to be weight bearing. Hopefully you'll get a decent pt and they will be able to advise. Or ask the surgeon if you can. Cheers

Knees together and take the fall

Offline Invincible17

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6437 on: November 15, 2017, 06:33:00 AM »
Thanks Bascat.No flex surgeon said the brace needs to keep my knee straight the next 6 weeks. He did say the physio will start bending my knee for me though starting  next week. I asked about getting rid of crutches but surgeon said it's important for knee to repair the first couple of months so it's not worth the risk of not using crutches,makes sense I suppose but just limits what I can do. Any advice for clothing for the winter,only shorts I can fit over this brace 🙈

Offline Primetime_21

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #6438 on: November 15, 2017, 04:16:30 PM »
Invincible - iím 16 weekís post surgery for left PTR, during the first 2 weeks I Spent most of my time on the settee with my bad leg up resting. After day 2/3 I reduced intake of painkillers (codeine)  I took  a couple before bed and again if I woke up in the middle of the night only, if I had taken them during the day I mightíve used up my daily dose and would have to wait.  During the first Week or two try and get as much rest/sleep as possible. Do ankle pumps and static quads (flexing quad muscle) as much as much as you can (if ok with your physio).  After the first 2 weeks I was able to get around much easier, with a lot less pain/discomfort.   I always had my bag handy, with meds, water bottle, hand wipes etc, so I didnít gave to get up as much. 
Pain is a good indicator of how your knee is feeling, but if your Taking strong painkillers and feeling better when youíre moving around, Itís kind of hard to tell whatís really going on..   You might want to try some  natural anti inflammatories like tumeric.  Donít know if thatíll help you at this stage, as youíll need something fairly strong. 
Hang in there buddy, as each day passes you should hopefully feel slightly better.

As for me, iíve Not been able to get past 115 degrees flexion for the past 3 weeks. I do stretches every morning and  do 2 sessions of cardio at the gym where I focus on elliptical trainer, cross trainer, bike and add 3 sets of legpress at a mighty 30kg on my repaired leg. I started back at work 4 weeks ago, so Iím also walking a total of 3 miles per day from Mon-Fri.  My walking speed has built up, no more limp as far as I can tell, on some of the days iíve Also been able to speed walk.  On other days my knee feels tight so itís hard going, especially if iíve Overdone it with the stretching. I took leave from work yesterday, spent the day resting, with my leg up, adding in a few massages, iím doing the same today, my knee does feel a lot better. 

Anyone else at a similar stage as I? Whatís your protocol / gym regimen look like?

Its been awhile since I have been on here, as I have been traveling quite a bit recently. Anyways, Im at 6 mos. post op. I have had issues with scar tissue under the knee cap. For most of the recovery process, it felt like my patella was sitting a little too high on my knee. I had plateaued at about 120 rom. i was walking well, but counldnt do so for any extended period of time without some sort of knee brace or sleeve on.

Well I visited London for about a week near the end of October, and was able to handle walking 20+ miles a day (with my knee sleeve on). the day after returning home from London, I was walking without my sleeve and my knee had a loud pop, and i felt the patella shift down a bit to where it feels more natural. the sound of the pop was pretty scary, but the feeling after the initial shock was pretty amazing. rom almost instantly increased to 140+ and i feel a lot less strain when walking without any sort of knee protection. my os was pretty surprised at this, but believes its the scar tissue breaking down allowing the patella to adjust to a more natural state. whatever it is, it worked! I am walking more comfortably without the aid of a brace or sleeve, although if I overdo it it does stiffen up. when this happens, I slide the sleeve back on and the compression and heat tend to get me comfortable again.

as i've stated before, my os has been very cautious with me due to the severity of my injury, but I have pushed myself (with the guidance of my pt).  I am in the gym at least 4 days a week. I am always doing 20+ min of cardio, whether on the stationary bike or eliptical. On days when I am doing strength training on the injured knee, i warm up on a recumbent bike for at least 15 min. i typically move the seat both closer and further away from the normal position every 3 min or so to really get a good stretch of the knee. for strength training im doing leg press, calf raises, weighted hip hinges, step ups (this is a struggle), unweighted squats on a balance trainer, and lots stretching. On days that I dont do weight training, I am doing ladder work and starting to jump rope. I have had the same type of routine going from about 4.5 months post op, gradually increasing intensity. my os still doesnt want me run, jump (jump rope is fine tho), or make any athletic type cuts/movements yet. but working my way towards that goal.

I havent been icing my knee as much as i probably should, but have started using a cryotherapy chamber every couple weeks which has helped a bit too.

this injury can definitely get frustrating. there are times where you may feel like it wont get any better, but keep pushing. listen to your knee. ask questions. set goals. after the first couple months, progress is much slower. it takes discipline to develop a plan and stick to it. but if you do, you will get better. i am nowhere near 100%. nowhere near where I want to be. but I know if I keep working at it, I will get there. you all will too.

support