Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1078442 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 168
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6375 on: September 11, 2017, 07:00:44 PM »
Hi Ben

According to normal protocol,you will be in the brace for about six weeks, and once removed the ROM will be between 30/40 -   then the hard work will begin.

Keep us posted

JohnK/ Manchester UK
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:00:09 PM by John42 »
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #6376 on: September 11, 2017, 09:25:05 PM »
Ben, you'll look back on it all one day mate! It's a long process to get back to walking even, it's not a normal injury by any stretch.

Good luck with it all mate. It will work out ok.

Offline benjiackin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #6377 on: September 11, 2017, 11:12:59 PM »
Cheers both
31 year old male. Ruptured patella tendon in a football match. Avid gym user.

Offline Lairy75

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6378 on: September 14, 2017, 10:43:02 AM »
I'm 8 weeks post surgery now.  Had the brace removed after 6 weeks.  ROM was at 90 within a couple of days so got on stationary bike and rowing machine straight away.  This has helped my progress to about 110 after 2 weeks of exercise.   The crutches went after few days and I'm walking fairly comfortably.  I even got up some stairs normally yesterday.  I can see that running and squats will be some time off but surgeon has signed me off to drive and I'm back to work next week.

I seem to be ahead of schedule so obviously I'm keen to crack on.  My physio (who has never seen this injury before) doesn't want me to use rowing machine but I agree with Madvillain that it is a brilliant way to break down the scar tissue.   I'm not putting any force through my legs just gentle slides. 

I've also taken advice from this forum to use a skateboard to assist with heel slides which is also brilliant. 

So now im driving and walking I just feel injured rather than disabled.  Keep going everyone, you might be on your feet sooner than you think 😀😀

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6379 on: September 14, 2017, 11:24:32 AM »
Hi Lairy

Well done, but my opinion is that you are pushing it, just remember that your tendon may not have 100% healed.   Keep away from active sports.

As far as driving is concerned - ok you have clearance from your os, but you must try an emergency stop -    place your car seat right back .

Take care and keep posting

JohnK/ Manchester   UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Lairy75

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6380 on: September 14, 2017, 12:25:12 PM »
I appreciate your support John.  Rest assured I'm listening to my knee and not putting it under any stress.  I'd completely rested it for 6 weeks which I think has made a difference.   I'm as surprised as anyone with the progress.   

Offline Immy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6381 on: September 15, 2017, 01:20:49 PM »
Hi,

I'm 9 weeks post PTR surgery (LK) due to football, my brace was also adjusted after 6 weeks, at which point I could barely get my knee to bend 20degrees. I can now bend to 70 after lots of stretching, but it stiffens up shortly after.  I'm guessing this is because some people have more scarred tissue compared to others?

For others new to the injury like benjacklin and anyone else who might be curious,. I restricted codeine use, took it just before bed, stopped using it after a week, my research indicated that it interferes with healing.  Started supplementing with fish oil, magnesium and glutamine to aid recovery.  I stopped using the crutches after 10 days in  the house. After 2 weeks I started going for 2 mile walk every other day, with lots of stops/rest inbetween. I'm not sure how much this helped my progress, if at all.  But psychologically it felt good.  I'm now brace free (don't tell the  Physio).  I'll be officially allowed to bend my knee to 90degrees from next wed.  I feel the flexion is my biggest issue at this point. 

« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:46:08 PM by Immy »
Aged 40, fairly active, no history of patellar tendon issues prior to injury.
Left patellar tendon rupture on 09/07/17 playing football.
Repaired on 12/07/17 with sutures
Discharged from hospital on 13/07/17
OS protocol: 30degrees at 6weeks, 60 at 8 weeks, 90 at 10 weeks.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6382 on: September 15, 2017, 09:43:12 PM »
Hi Immy

Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru - not the best club to join, but lots of buddies, all gone through this trauma.

At this stage, read as many previous posts on This thread - ask questions - remember this is a very rare and serious injury with a very long rehab process - so don`t push it - PATIENCE.
Keep posting.

Where do you live?

Take care  JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Immy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6383 on: September 16, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for welcoming me.  Hope you're well? I live in Coventry (West Midlands, U.K).

Is there such a thing as doing too much stretching, heel slides...? Woke up this morning and decided I'll try using the hot water bottle to warm the knee up prior to stretches.  I was able to bend much easier.

At what degree of flexion is it possible to start using a stationery bike?

I'll try taking it easy, but I'm back to work in 2 weeks, so I really want to make as much progress as possible before then. 

Regards,

Immy

Aged 40, fairly active, no history of patellar tendon issues prior to injury.
Left patellar tendon rupture on 09/07/17 playing football.
Repaired on 12/07/17 with sutures
Discharged from hospital on 13/07/17
OS protocol: 30degrees at 6weeks, 60 at 8 weeks, 90 at 10 weeks.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6384 on: September 17, 2017, 08:15:43 AM »
Hi Immy

Firstly suggest you look on Amazon, get yourself a floor cycle, cost about 40, but worth everypenny, sit in your comfy chair and pedal away, there was one advertised recently in Lydl and also the daily Express.

Although I am  13 years down the road, I would suggest get a  tube of Voltarol gel ( you can buy it over the counter), or on prescription and rub it in, it works wonders.
You need to be more that 100 ROM to use a stationary  bike.

Keep posting - listen to your knee - Keep posting.

JohnK/ Mancchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6385 on: September 17, 2017, 11:23:55 PM »
Regarding muscle mass, how long did it take to get any mass and strength back in your legs?

I'm 7 months now and the definition is starting to build again and the strength is ok but not on a par with the other leg.

Things still seem "awkward" as well as far as movement is concerned. . I always know the injury is there. Is that it or does it improve ??

Cheers all.

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 210
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #6386 on: September 18, 2017, 03:41:57 AM »
Hello all, I'm Jerry and I'm 4 years post-op.  Haven't posted in a long time but wanted to check in and encourage all you newbies.  It will get better, you will get better and believe me that there will be days in the not too distant future where you will actually go a day or two and not even think about your injury.  I won't bore you with my experience (if interested you can read the archives under my name).  I will say that I had a great OS, a competent PT and that I was diligent in my exercises...pushing just enough past the discomfort each day to establish better ROM.  I also massaged my knee and the surrounding tissue a lot to break down scar tissue, adhesions, etc.  It was a little tender at first but in no time it was my favorite thing to do at the beginning and end of PT.  As John says, listen to your knee...this process will be unique to you...try not to compare to others.  Keep your spirits up!  Best of luck to all and a big thank you to John...you've touched a lot of people around the world...thanks.
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6387 on: September 18, 2017, 07:28:59 AM »
Hi JC55

Delighted to welcome you back on the RPT thread - As you have stated - Patience is required -it takes time to get over this serious and rare injury.

Many thanks for your compliments -I continue and try to give encouragement to everybody -  I am 13 years down this path and continue to tackle this pain

Wishing everybody speedy recovery.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6388 on: September 18, 2017, 07:32:54 AM »
Hi Sinkrate

I recall my O S stating that it takes a minimum of 12 months to recover nearly 100% from this serious RPT injury - some people on this thread heal quicker than others, but carry on with your PT - It will get there in the end.

JohnK/Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Sinkrate

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6389 on: September 18, 2017, 10:17:02 AM »

Thanks all, the ROM is good it just seems to stick at certain points on extension !

I'll battle on ......