Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1042084 times)

Offline Bascat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 69
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6315 on: May 11, 2017, 09:19:25 PM »
So last week was my first anniversary of the double snap, snap! A crazy year and looking back progress has been made. I try not to dwell on what happened what I could do before the double booboo and find I appreciate life more now than I did before. Walking is fairly normal. Stairs are a sideways shuffle but I manage. No severe pain. Sometimes discomfort but overall life is fairly normal. I've lapsed a bit with the exercise in recent weeks after a family holiday back on it now but have put on a bit of timber. Need to lose weight is my biggest struggle. Right knee is recovering stronger than left and left swells up a fair bit particularly after exercise. it also gets very tight at the back of the knee and hope to find out more about this next week. I can't jog or run much yet but the Pt thinks it will get there and to keep at it another 6 months . The tendons I think have healed I guess but the problem is reactivating the collective mussels particularly the quads. Crazy dudes with all your supplements! Doesn't appeal but interesting to see how that goes. Keep at it everybody. Cheers
Knees together and take the fall

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #6316 on: May 12, 2017, 02:27:52 AM »
Congrats on the recovery and glad the progress is still being made. Hope you get back to running sooner then later. lol I'm right there with the weight gain also....got 20lbs to lose myself.

Offline Primetime_21

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6317 on: May 12, 2017, 03:23:45 PM »
stumbled upon this website yesterday. it has been cool to read about peoples progressions while dealing with this tough injury. anyways, i had a complete rupture of my left patellar tendon on 4/15/17 while playing basketball. I banged knees with someone and a few minutes later while running up court my knee popped. it felt like somebody took a bat to my knee. I kinda knew what it was when it happened, as i saw this happen to someone in my ultimate frisbee league a few months prior. I ended up getting surgery about 3 weeks later on 5/5/17 (it sucked having to go through all the hoops for insurance purposes when everyone knew what the injury was from day one). 

So I am exactly 1 week post op. The first 4 days were miserable, but the pain has subsided quite a bit. I have been place in an immobilizer for the first 6 weeks.  Sleeping has been extremely difficult.  I seem to have the most success sleeping in a recliner.  I've also had issues with the brace. my thighs are pretty large and calves not quite as big, so after a few steps there is usually some slippage with the brace that can sometimes be quite painful.  I have been reading through the forum to look for help with these issues, but it takes awhile to go through 400+ pages haha. Hopefully somebody can offer some suggestions for these 2 issues. Would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first knee surgery, and I've realized this recovery is going to be a lot more mental than physical. I am definitely looking forward to making significant process towards recovery, but no it is a long road ahead.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 161
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6318 on: May 13, 2017, 07:32:25 AM »
Hi Primetime 21

Welcome to the RPT thread on KneeGuru - you are now aware that you have sustained a very rare injury will a long rehab process.

Suggest that you read some of the previous posts on this thread - ASK questions - many buddies on this thread will give you advice. 

Sleep with a cushion/pillow between your knees.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6319 on: May 17, 2017, 03:43:35 AM »
What's up prime....I'm sorry you had to come here but I swear your story is similar to mine as far as insurance goes (mine took 5 months before I got surgery though so consider yourself lucky) and I also have football player thighs and small calves regardless of how I work out. Pretty athletic guy here. Anyways so far it is a lot of mental and I'm not sure if I see the light at the end of this tunnel  yet but I can feel and see my leg getting stronger. I'm 15 weeks post op today (Tuesday 5/17). I kept the brace on for 4 weeks post op and then took it off. It was crazy scary but so glad I did. As far as it slipping I loosened the thigh part and really cinched it down around the calf first then tightened the thigh after so it helped hold it up instead of vice Versa. I might be saying it wrong but just try it out and you'll feel the difference.

Offline Primetime_21

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6320 on: May 17, 2017, 01:09:49 PM »
appreciate the suggestions. I've got the slipping under control for now, but I can tell I will need to adjust more as the atrophy continues. I had a glue put over my incision wound post surgery, so an drainage has stayed in my knee.  The Dr says the hematoma will work itself out as my leg eventually absorbs the excess blood, but it has become uncomfortable when getting up. Can feel liquids moving around in my knee when moving. Im constantly rewrapping my leg, as any added compression helps alleviate the pain.  I have my first PT session in 2 more weeks. Was wondering how that first session went for others. Easy? Painful? A little bit of both? I'm anxious to move a little further along in the process.

Offline AroohArooh!!

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6321 on: May 18, 2017, 04:15:50 AM »
Well that's the first battle down. Many more to come. I had the glue also but the top part of the brace kept ripping the top of the incision open and I eventually had to give myself stitches to close it but it all worked out. My first few pt sessions were easy and didn't do much but make me get used to trying to walk and stand without the brace. A few weeks after the pain started when they started stretching it. Lol felt like I was being put in a submission from wrestling but it gets easier after the initial stretch session.

Offline Bascat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 69
  • Bilateral patellar tendon rupture playing TOUCH ru
« Reply #6322 on: May 20, 2017, 10:34:45 AM »
Prime 1st pt was weird. Legs just stuck out straight and they just flexed it a small amount very gently and knee was very very stiff. Lots of strange sensations like a wire being pulled across the quad down to the toes. Get a pt who knows and understands your injury if you can. Its immensely frustrating. As John will say patience and don't push too hard. At the same time I'm with the treat it a bit more aggressive camp. A year on I'm still progressing and have to keep pushing. Right leg is nearly there. Left not so and swells a bit plus very tight hammies. Going back to the OS to get wires out.

Hope you are managing to sleep. I had a rise and fall hospital bed downstairs at home and found I could position it to get a good night's kip. Get loads of pillows around you. I was pretty tired and needed to nap. Sleep is a healer and your body has been through trauma and there is a lot of stuff going on you can't see.

Keep ploughing on. Some days are better than others. Good luck with recovery
Knees together and take the fall

Advertisement