Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: rebuilding muscle  (Read 1473 times)

Offline caroline_f_98

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
rebuilding muscle
« on: May 25, 2004, 10:15:01 PM »
I am 6 months post surgery for a TP fracture and finding it so hard to rebuild muscle. I do weights at the gym 3 times a week, 20 min walk each day and exercised by the PT daily. My quads look the same as 2 months ago. I also still have a limp and can't walk for long. Anyone any advice? Has anyone tried using creatine?
Type 6 tib plat  r leg
Surgery  29/11/03 2 plates, 9 screws
FWB at 18 weeks
Full ROM, 0 extension
PT, H20 PT, swim & bike
HW removed Nov 05
Diary www.mybrokenleg.com/caroline

Offline davidjaxn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: rebuilding muscle
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 10:50:54 PM »
Caroline

There aren't enough particulars in your post to help.....what are you eating/  calories consumed perday burned per day ect.   Are you trying to lose weight??  It is very difficult to gain muscle when you are trying to loose or maintain weight!   Before Creatine I would try increasing Protien to at least 40 % of you daily calories, consume about 400 Calories more per day than your maintence calories, drink lots of water and take a Protein supplament before bed (to prevent catabolism)

Dave

Offline caroline_f_98

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 11:10:04 PM »
Hi Dave

I am vegetarian and eating a normal balances healthy diet with more calcium than normal. I don't want to take too much protein as it effects calcium absorption. Protein is acidic. If blood is acidic calcium is needed to neutralise this. I am curious to see if anyone benefited from creatine.

C
Type 6 tib plat  r leg
FWB at 18 weeks
Full ROM, 0 extension
PT, H20 PT, swim & bike
HW removed Nov 05

Offline Kathy G

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I'm no longer 10 - but my life isn't over yet!!
    • My Broken Leg Diary
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 05:20:55 PM »
Caroline, it sounds like you are doing what you need to do - especially if you are going to PT regularly, as they would know what you should be doing to improve your muscle tone.

It takes time for muscle to rebuild - so the key is to keep at it and don't give up. I remember it took awhile for my BL to match my good leg in size. And at 20 months post-break, the muscles are still not as strong in my BL as in my good leg. But I am hoping that will improve with trips to the pool and exercising them in the water.

And BTW, I can now do the leg motions for a breast-stroke, which I could not do last year. I consider that progress!!  ;D

As far as Creatine goes, I am not sure what it is - but I guess I should do some research.

All the best to you in your recovery!!
Tib Plateau fx right leg 9/14/02; ORIF w/L-plate, 8 screws. 10 years and counting. MY DIARY -http://www.mybrokenleg.com/kathy

Offline davidjaxn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 06:24:08 PM »
Caroline

I'm  told that vegetarians usually get a bigger benefit from creatine, since red meat contains some creatine naturally.  Good luck!  If you try it let us know how it works out for you.

Dave

Offline jennylind

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 10:57:33 PM »
Caroline-

I used to be a vegetarian. You can up your protien, just don't have it at the same time as the calcium. Also, try to have some Vitamin C with the calcium as it helps abosorption--I've been drinking calcium fortified OJ like crazy (granted, I need even more extra calcium for breastfeeding and bone healing)! Are you a vegitarian or vegan? If you eat dairy, you can get everything you need. However, if you are vegan, you should probably take B12 supplements. I'm not sure of the role in muscle development, but I know it is the only nutrient lacking in a vegan diet.

I know someone who had a muscular dystrophy disease and used creatine. She felt like it helped.

How are you using weights? I also used to weight-lift pretty seriouly. Try doing 12 reps at your current weight. When you can do 12 reps with ease, move up to the next weight level (as long as you can do at least 6 reps). You have to increase weight to build muscle. More reps just tones and lengthens muscles.

Hope this helps.
4/16/04-tripped and fell; TPF 4/17-surgery, 1 plate & 3 screws 4/28-delivered my son 5/7-immobilzer removed 6/7-began PT 6/11-PWB 7/6 FWB 7/23 1 crutch

Offline Barn_Goddess

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 06:02:55 AM »
Caroline-I was about where you are at 6 months after my TP fracture, so don't feel alone. Things will progress, sometimes they plateau for awhile, but it does get better! It's a long way back.

One thing that's helped me quite a bit, believe it or not, is the Pilates workout. Pilates does focus on the "powerhouse" but alot of the exercises stretch the muscle in the back of the thighs (sorry can't think of the name). Might be worth trying.
"Hey, baby, there ain't no easy way out."-Tom Petty

Offline overmodulated

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2004, 05:48:20 AM »
Caroline: as you heard from others in different words, the quads are extremely hard to get back. Mine essentially disappeared after being unable to walk for half of 2003 (TP fx, 13 screws, 2 plates, 3 operations and hardware pulled out).  I hit the gym almost daily, using leg presses and leg curls, extensions, elliptical machines, etc..  After all that effort, nearly a year of busting my butt, my injured leg is still only about 30% as strong as the uninjured one.

We can't replace a lifetime of muscle strengthening in a matter of months.   It may be a couple of years.  Don't stop what you're doing.  Update us a half year from now.

Offline caroline_f_98

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 11:28:24 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the encouragement. I asked a sport nutriitonist. She said that as a vegetarian its important I get enough protein. Protein in the diet should not effect calcium absorption. Its when people take it as supplement that it can cause calcium excretion.
Type 6 tib plat  r leg
FWB at 18 weeks
Full ROM, 0 extension
PT, H20 PT, swim & bike
HW removed Nov 05

Offline jennylind

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 01:34:10 AM »
Caroline-

Good luck!
4/16/04-tripped and fell; TPF 4/17-surgery, 1 plate & 3 screws 4/28-delivered my son 5/7-immobilzer removed 6/7-began PT 6/11-PWB 7/6 FWB 7/23 1 crutch

Offline larry_marty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 11:31:04 AM »
I have one very important issue to add to the above posts.  When working a muscle group, it is vital to rest one day before going back to work that muscle group again.  If very strenuous exercise is implememted, and a the breakdown of the muscle is extreme, because of working out hard, long or with heavy weights, or light weights with very high reps.....more than one day is recommended.  Daily stretching is ok, or just normal walking.

I am a ovo-lacto vegetarian, and with simple healthy eating, I am never protein deficent.  I do however eat tofu, wheat gluten meat substitutes and soy products.  I also drink non-fat milk for calcium.  

One of the above posts mentioned B-12.  Yes...it is an absolute necessity for vegans and vegetarians (ovo-lacto) to suppliment with B-12.  Sublingual being the best source, and also Omega 3 6 9 fatty acids.  This can be derived from Flaxseed oil, or grinding flaxseed and using it in cooking.

I am using Glucosomine and Condroiten, Calcium, B-12, Omega 3 6 and 9, Vita C, eating natural non amimal protein,  and vegetables and milk for natural calcium, plus a multi-vitamin.

I am 2 months 3 weeks post op Tibial Plateau, just started weight bearing 3 days ago, have a plate with 6 screws, having my hardware out on August 25th.  I still have pain in the night, quite a bit of sleeplessness, but my ROM is 130, but lack about another inch to be able to straighten my leg.

Good luck to everyone.  This is a hard road, but I don't take the simple things in life for granted anymore.

Love to Everyone,

Larry in Orlando Florida USA

Offline Kathy G

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I'm no longer 10 - but my life isn't over yet!!
    • My Broken Leg Diary
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 08:23:53 PM »
Hi, Larry - it sounds like you are doing wonderfully. And you are soooooo correct in that it is difficult to take things for granted after such an injury. Thanks for the reminder! ;D

BTW, thanks for the note in my diary at MBL.com. I hope that my experiences help others who are going this same situation. As I am nearing the 2-year mark, I realize how much I've learned from this experience. Though I wouldn't wish this upon anyone, it has taught me so much about patience, perserverance, and the resiliance of the human body and spirit.

Well, I pray that everyone has a great day, and continued progress in your current stage of recovery!  :D
Tib Plateau fx right leg 9/14/02; ORIF w/L-plate, 8 screws. 10 years and counting. MY DIARY -http://www.mybrokenleg.com/kathy

Offline jennylind

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 05:35:20 AM »
Caroline and Larry-

Since protien intake is an issue, I want to tell you I just read an article on the negative effects of soy. The article was in "Mothering" magazine. It talks about the plant esters being bad (carcinogenic and throwing normal hormone levels off) and Americans eating 2-300 times more soy than their Eastern counterparts.

You might want to rely more on the gluten and legumes for you protien.

Offline larry_marty

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 06:53:27 AM »
Jennylind.......thanks for the advice.  I will definitely look that up about the soy.  I have been a vegetarian for 18 years, and I don't even think about protein anymore.  I just get it from several sources............actually I dont eat Tofu a lot, but I do mix it up with gluten, legumes......and other sources, but that is really interesting as to what you said.

My Doc said my cadaver bone and my bone has come together beautifuly from the Tibeal Plateau........so I must be getting what I need.

Take care,

Larry marty

Offline wetherel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
    • Patella Fracture Diary
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 05:41:44 AM »
Here's what I've heard about creatine:  Creatine removes the burning sensation, so that you can workout longer.  I think the burning is the buildup of lactic acid in the muscles.   You have to drink lots of water when using creatine.  Unless you are working out to this extreme, creatine won't help you.
6/13/04: Broke patella playing soccer
6/17: Surgery, 2 pins & figure 8 wire
6/30: Start PT, 36deg ROM
7/3:  No immobilizer, 40 deg ROM
7/15:  No crutches, 94deg ROM
8/9: Stop PT, 140 deg ROM
4/9:  Hardware removal.

support