Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy Recovery and Advice  (Read 185 times)

Offline rednik80

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy Recovery and Advice
« on: November 08, 2018, 03:53:48 PM »
Hello, I'm a 38 year-old male that's had a right tibial tubercle osteotomy two weeks ago. I've been wearing TED stockings for prevention of DVT and have been wearing a knee brace will walking around PWB.
However, I have a couple of questions:

I don't wear my brace while I'm in bed as it's really uncomfortable. I have involuntary spasms at the  moment and this causes me to bend my leg slightly and to tense my muscles which makes my whole knee ache (this also happens to a lesser degree while wearing my brace). I'm not too fussed about the pain but I'm worried that I may be causing damage as I know my leg should be straight and to not use my muscles as I imagine it could put pressure on the tibia tubercle. Also, how easy is it to fracture your tibia tubercle while it's healing?

I have pain that feels like it is coming from the top of my fibula when I slightly rotate my foot (although this could be referred pain?) and pain in the top of my knee that seems slightly higher than before. Is this normal?

I'll be seeing my surgeon in a couple of weeks time and I'm sure they told me I could take my brace off at night but I'd just like to hear from other people that have had the same problems.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:22:20 PM by rednik80 »

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 57
Re: Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy Recovery and Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »
Hello,

I was told to wear my brace at night after my quad surgeries and my TTO.  Only time I came out of it was when I was awake and sitting and when on the CPM. 

I would call and confirm. 

Good luck on your recovery.

Offline sunn

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »
I had TTT surgery and was told the brace has to stay on at all times apart from when washing. I agree its uncomfortable at night but you do get used to it-and at least with brace on there is no danger of shifting knee badly in sleep and having a rude painful awakening.
will admit the stockings i took off within a day as they drove me completly insane-and made walking lethal as were slippery on our wooden floors
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 06:56:01 PM by sunn »

Offline rednik80

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 10:34:01 AM »
Thank you for responding. I forgot to say that I hadn't been wearing it at night because I'm sure they told me it wasn't needed in bed but after bending it quite a bit by accident it's made me think twice about it. I've tried to get hold of someone to ask for clarification but I can't get an answer. It didn't help that my discharge letter was mixed up so that made it even worse!