Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fractured Patella injury recovery help  (Read 221 times)

Offline holliewood1112

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • Experienced a fractured patella from car accident
Fractured Patella injury recovery help
« on: September 05, 2018, 07:23:26 PM »
Hello, I broke my patella 3 years ago in a car accident by hitting it on the dash or steering. It was awful going through the surgery for the two pins and a K wire, then my pins kind of moved out of the bone on their own so I had hardware removal 10 months after the initial surgery (Which is not usually recommended). I still not not run, I still can not hop, Stairs are hard, down and up. It hurts to kneel. Does anyone relate or have any suggestions or advice for me? I get sad and frustrated because it has been 3 years and still feels as if it has been a year afterwards. I hope that I can find someone who can actually relate to me! I have been through so much, I now have anxiety and depression from it all.  I feel like it's pointless to try and explain it or talk about my feelings to any friends or family because this was such a rare fracture. A Patella of all bones...

Hollie C Eldridge

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 32
Re: Fractured Patella injury recovery help
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »
Hi Holliewood,

While I cannot relate to a fractured patella, I can relate to the frustration of not being able to do "normal things" because of knees problems. For the last 3 years, I have not been able to do any of the things you describe due to cartilage damage. And it gets frustrating indeed. As many have said on this forum, knee injuries/problems are almost as much of a mental challenge as a physical one.

Have you tried to work with a physio to get your mobility back? Or talked to your doctor about your recovery/rehab problems?
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

support