Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Measuring ROM question  (Read 174 times)

Offline midwifekim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Measuring ROM question
« on: August 18, 2018, 10:02:00 PM »
Iím currently at 86 degree using the CPM, but when my PT measures my ROM it is while sitting on a table and I do a heel slide. . Itís beem stuck around 60. However, today I sat in a chair at home and was able to have my leg probably at 86 degrees. Should I have her measure in a different position?  Iím getting discouraged by the apparent lack of progress on flexion.

Offline LisaWilliams38

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 14
Re: Measuring ROM question
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:13:14 PM »
I've used a CPM for 3 separate issues over the last 4 years. In my experience, the CPM number is ALWAYS higher than what my PT measures in a therapy session. Even when I maxed out the machine at 120-125, I still wasn't getting that measurement in therapy (usually 10-12 degrees less and only when very warmed up). I was told it's the way the machines are calibrated and doesn't completely translate to the human body.

---Lisa
'98 R plica
'99 L resect discoid meniscus
'01 L  meniscus tear
'02 R  meniscus tear
'10, R meniscus tears, Bursectomy
'13, R 3 meniscus tears, Grd 3 Biocartilage fil
'15 R Oct-ACI harvest,
'15 R Dec-ACI implant
'16 R Mar-lysis of adhesions
'16 R Mar-MUA
'18 L 3 menis tears, Grade 4 Biocartilage fill

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 86
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Measuring ROM question
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 06:41:38 AM »
I think the general advice is to use the same instrument and observer and work from there - it is common to get differences with different observers or different instruments unfortunately. http://kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/articles/general-articles/2016/measuring-range-motion-knee-goniometer
--
KNEEguru

support